Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
No live results/video for a major nitro race event? What else is new? >

No live results/video for a major nitro race event? What else is new?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No live results/video for a major nitro race event? What else is new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default No live results/video for a major nitro race event? What else is new?

I appreciate live race results like anyone else, but IMO, there is just no benefit to a race director to provide live coverage for any event. It's just another thing to worry about and if the race director can't provide live results like he said he would, then people just get pissed. And what's the big deal if the pictures, videos and results come out one or more days later? How does not getting live results negatively impact your life?

No one is obligated to post race results online or even send them out via email – not even for the racers that participated in the event. It's just a courtesy.

I learned quite some time ago, that R/C racing and modern computing technology generally don't mix. Just because the technology is available, doesn't mean that people are willing or inclined to use it. Some people are willing, inclined and good at using the technology – while others could care less. People have their own ideas about what is or isn't important and that applies to race results as well. It's just one of those things.

Now you may be asking yourself, "Wouldn't it be in the sponsor's best interest to provide live coverage of an event and promote their products at the same time?" I don't know the answer to this question. You have to ask one of them. I'm not sure if the business case for providing live coverage of on-road nitro events justifies the expense.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 03-04-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I appreciate live race results like anyone else, but IMO, there is just no benefit to a race director to provide live coverage for any event. It's just another thing to worry about and if the race director can't provide live results like he said you would, then people just get pissed. And what's the big deal if the pictures, videos and results come out one or more days later? How does not getting live results negatively impact your life?

No one is obligated to post race results online or even send them out via email – not even for the racers that participated in the event. It's just a courtesy.

I learned quite some time ago, that R/C racing and modern computing technology generally don't mix. Just because the technology is available, doesn't mean that people are willing or inclined to use it. Some people are willing, inclined and good at using the technology – while others could care less. People have their own ideas about what is or isn't important and that applies to race results as well. It's just one of those things.

Now you may be asking yourself, "Wouldn't it be in the sponsor's best interest to provide live coverage of an event and promote their products at the same time?" I don't know the answer to this question. You have to ask one of them. I'm not sure if the business case for providing live coverage of on-road nitro events justifies the expense.
Not getting results does not negatively impact anyone but getting results and especially a live feed is a just a cool feature that allows those that cannot attend the ability to see how their friends or teammates are doing. It is basically the same concept of how people follow their local sports team. We all hope that one day RC will reach to the levels that it will be broadcast on ESPN as opposed to World Championship of Poker or some of other programs that don't require physical technique. You need to ask yourself if it was being broadcast online then would you follow it?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Killa G
You need to ask yourself if it was being broadcast online then would you follow it?
I watch as much live nitro and eletric on-road race coverage that I can.

BTW, the only guy that I know of that provides "ESPN quality" race coverage of R/C events is Nick Daman of R/C Racing TV. His non-live coverage of the recent EFRA indoor championships is over the top. Watch his YouTube videos on the page below.

http://www.centralbooking.org/rcraci...a-indoor-euros
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any idea what liverc charges now that its no longer free for 2009? I have heard tracks complain about it before which could have stopped this one although they had liverc for the nationals in 08.

I will try to get some heat sheet pictures tomorrow or maybe even a scanned copy from the track I think you are thinking of.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Any idea what liverc charges now that its no longer free for 2009? I have heard tracks complain about it before which could have stopped this one although they had liverc for the nationals in 08.

I will try to get some heat sheet pictures tomorrow or maybe even a scanned copy from the track I think you are thinking of.
Take Italy as an example, why do you all think the sport is so big over there...
Live streaming, live results, live interviews... Company's who pay for advertisement.

No PR, no additional turnover, no bigger profit.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley

That would be really appreciated
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PMSorber
Take Italy as an example, why do you all think the sport is so big over there...
Live streaming, live results, live interviews... Company's who pay for advertisement.

No PR, no additional turnover, no bigger profit.
i followed the euros 1/10 live scoring and video, for 1/8 live scoring! awesome in europe
too bad the pre worlds in the us neither! dont know if staring grid is over there!
Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.serpent.com/news/12941/WC...qualifier.html
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default Not too hard from that location

The track there in Porter is equipped for webcasts somewhat. There are video and audio feeds to the enclosed areas on the 2nd floor. And they have land based ethernet.

I have a feeling tracks will start to do this stuff on their own if they end up paying for it anyways. There is a ton of software out there to accomplish any possible set-up. There are commercial units and you can also put together a nice live studio with a pc and linux and video cap cards.

The big difference will be that its switched like a real TV broadcast. An operator/editor is editing the stream in real time to give the viewers the best view from the cameras available.

Scoring is easily accomplished by a direct feed from the scoring monitor. Digitize that signal and either mix it in with the video or provide a separate stream with just the results.

Sooner or later some of the bright kids that hang around tracks will convince some track owner to give it a go and things will change. I know it brings in people. I used to do post-race of all the classes at a oval track. It brought in a lot of people. Cameras are cheap. You don't need the best cameras out there. Industrial cams/security cams can be used if you pick them properly. An additional use is as an online security station. You can log in and check the property when you aren't using it to do races.

One big problem is big telecom's decision recently to jack up the rates on "weekend pass" type of access. Used to be about 75 bucks to broadcast now its gone way up. If you can get one at all. The way to get around this is for the track to have a land line internet setup. With the additional advantage of more bandwidth and a better image coming out.

I for one hope to see more and more tracks installing their own servers and going live. If you can find people to dig in the dirt all day to build tracks you can find one person that likes to edit to run the server. Lots of people these days know the rudiments of video editing and thats all you need to know to switch video.

Griz