R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #76
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Well, since you are metioning....I still want to find out...

When HPI said he was using NS3..there is a engine from Nova Rossi named NS3? I heard also NS5, and of course, the NS12 that I knew...

But NS3? Is that a short term of NS12 3 port? Just like NS5 = NS12 5 port...

I can't find any info on Nova Rossi webpage about NS3 and NS5 as well...

I believed HARA can run a LHS pick up engine and still win, cause he is HARA, and R40 is a good car, but from what I see, the WINTER NATIONAL 04....no one can get a faster engine then the MTX3 guy (Mike I believed)...and that, is NOT a stock engine for sure.
Yeah, when they say NS3 they meant NS12 S3 I'm sure.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #77
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Cool...guys, thanks....I believed so.

Can ppl HAND modified engine on site..? Without using some heavy computer equipment...? Can HARA hand modified the engine on site or he is just simply the best driver at that event.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #78
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Guys... I am sure that if you take an HPI, and begin winning races, then you will still win those races with the Mugen and the Serpent. Not one car is just Better than the other, one car may be better with regards to technology, while another with parts support and price, while another in another respect.

I Bought a Serpent because when I phoned the LHS and asked for a quote on the R40 and the NTC3, and told him I was looking at a serpent, he bashed me and told me that I was being stupid because the HPI is better. I got it also because for me it was cheaper and I like the support. I like the idea of it having the DRS (a toy for me to TOY with) and being new bleeding edge. I will probably get an LD3 or a NTC3 as a second car to play with, because of the shaft, it is different. I may even get a R40 instead just to play, then I can see for myself.

I say Serpent,
Rookie Solara says Mugen and AMG says HPI

Frag, It is YOUR call. I say R40 for you as it is the cheapest kit to get.
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Cool...guys, thanks....I believed so.

Can ppl HAND modified engine on site..? Without using some heavy computer equipment...? Can HARA hand modified the engine on site or he is just simply the best driver at that event.
I am sure you can... Especially if you have a dremel tool, and another engine to look at, you can get it near to the other, not perfect, but maybe better than stock. you can at least get the porting done.
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
I am sure you can... Especially if you have a dremel tool, and another engine to look at, you can get it near to the other, not perfect, but maybe better than stock. you can at least get the porting done.
I am wondering, when can I be the level that I can PORT a brand new $200 plus engine on site with just a dremel tool to race for 2 days...? I bet that will never happen to me for the rest of my life....

But I can damage a $200 engine in less then 3 minutes.....for sure.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:59 PM   #81
Tech Fanatic

From what I heard when I was at the ROAR Nationals was that Hara did get his engine off the shelf.
But I also heard that he had it modified.
I heard this from one of the Mugen racers that were corner marshaling.

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Don't believe all you read on MyTsn about Serpent dominance, it is a Serpent run site after all.
Serpent does a pretty good job on their website about covering races.
They show results no matter if they win or not.
I think they do a good job compared to other companies websites.
Most companies will only show their wins and not tell about where other companies finished.
Serpent usually writes the articles that cover the major races.
The other articles about smaller races are usually written by mytsn members.
But on the most part, mytsn is pretty fair at covering major events and doesn't have a problem showing who won a race, even if their cars aren't on the podium.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #82
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I would think the aluminum wheel hex adapter and the rear adjustable sway bar would be better things to get besides getting the titanium screw set... Would you agree?
No. Can you explain to me why the adjustable sway bar is SO important? What is wrong with the stock mugen rear sway bar? I can understand more about the hex.

And witherespect to the Ti screw set. It is not a necessity on the MTX-3, hence the word "maybe".
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #83
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
In that case I'd think it's extremely unlikely the engine was stock.

perhaps
Old 04-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
.I did not add in the 0.8 transmission cause no one can get that in USA, or never will be available in USA

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L=++&search=Go
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by B
perhaps

Well, one can only go by one's own experiences.
My experience of sanctioned events is that the factory/sponsered drivers will invariably be equipped with serious horsepower - I've seen some turn up with a dozen engines, all numbered, in zip-lock bags.
The modified/factory engines will leave the likes of a stock NS gasping on the straight, hence my question.
Now, if you talked to a 1:1 car racer about what oil he runs in his car, he will tell you it's the same stuff that's advertised on his car, of course.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM   #86
B
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing

Well, one can only go by one's own experiences.
My experience of sanctioned events is that the factory/sponsered drivers will invariably be equipped with serious horsepower - I've seen some turn up with a dozen engines, all numbered, in zip-lock bags.
The modified/factory engines will leave the likes of a stock NS gasping on the straight, hence my question.
Now, if you talked to a 1:1 car racer about what oil he runs in his car, he will tell you it's the same stuff that's advertised on his car, of course.
Yah I am very much aware of that, so I am also a bit skeptic of Hara's situation.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #87
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by B
No. Can you explain to me why the adjustable sway bar is SO important? What is wrong with the stock mugen rear sway bar? I can understand more about the hex.
Nothing wrong with the stock sway bar. Just that if you want more adjustability and in terms of having a performance upgrade on the car, the adjustable rear sway bar is definitely better than titanium screws upgrade.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #88
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Made a choice!

I finally decided to give HPI a chance with the R40. I saw that most users are pretty happy of it and that I can build a very nice one for around 400$ + motor. My local hobby store have tons of parts for it. So I am gonna give it a try...

One of the flaw I read about is weak pivot balls and plastic shocks.

1. I heard about titanium pivot balls, but can't find them. Anyone can help me here?

2. I heard about alloy shocks, but can't find them either?

3. Do you guys know if the new NSR12S3 is available somewhere? I saw it out of stock everywhere!

4. Is one of you guys ever tried an hex screw kit with the R40 like those http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...188247592&rd=1 or others? Are they worth it? It's true that hex strip a lot less than normal screw...

5. Any other tips you don't want me to miss and know before assembling it? I am curently reading the R40 thread, but there's like 2500 message in it

Last edited by Frag; 04-17-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:25 PM   #89
B
Tech Master

Default Re: Made a choice!

Quote:
Originally posted by Frag
I finally decided to give HPI a chance with the R40. I saw that most users are pretty happy of it and that I can build a very nice one for around 400$ + motor. My local hobby store have tons of parts for it. So I am gonna give it a try...

Thats great! Have fun with it!

U may want to post your questions in the R40 forum. You might get more responses there