R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Yeah, that's what I hear about Mordor too. LOL.
Oh, in Mordor land, you cannot even find R40 or MTX-3 !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
You see, the more interesting question would be if cost and part support weren't an issue, what car would you get?
Are you asking the obvious question, Jeffrey?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:46 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Are you asking the obvious question, Jeffrey?
I think this is like what PSI Racing is saying, get what you like.

But I wonder if parts and cost were taken out of equation, how many people would change their rides?
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:51 AM   #19
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know why you say that... Between the MTX-3 and the R40, I think they are equal in terms of upgrading and hop ups...

You may be right on this. But where I come from, the R40 parts are about the same if not more expensive than the MTX-3 parts. Maybe where Frag comes from, MTX-3 parts are cheaper !
With respect to the upgrading, I mean that the MTX-3 has less "useful/dramatic" upgrades to get. For example, some people may think that the transmission assembly is and old design (too heavy) on the R40, and so they replace it with the lighter Kawahara or HPI optional one. So, if this fellow here does not mind about these things, then he will not have to buy and hence save more money, because the R40 is cheaper stock.

btw, I am not talking about the alloy bits which is pretty much available to any car out there, and which in my opinion does not do much.

About the prices, of course they will be different everywhere, but I have found that the general trend is that HPI is cheaper
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:52 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I think this is like what PSI Racing is saying, get what you like.
Of course you need to get a kit that you like very much. That's no question for me. But I guess for some people, it may be different. I would not want to be coerced into buying something I do not like even though I can only afford it. Better not to buy it to begin with... My personal opinion.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #21
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by B
About the prices, of course they will be different everywhere, but I have found that the general trend is that HPI is cheaper
Agreed that the R40 is cheaper and that HPI parts tend to be cheaper overall but I think Frag is seriously looking into racing the car. That would mean to get whatever it takes to get the car up to performance. So performance hop ups is what Frag is looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that is what Frag is looking for, then the MTX-3 is a better buy as lesser things to get to make it race worthy.

Perhaps Frag should step in and be more specific on what types of hop ups he requires on his car.. What level does he expect his car to perform and where does he see himself in RC racing...
Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Agreed that the R40 is cheaper and that HPI parts tend to be cheaper overall but I think Frag is seriously looking into racing the car. That would mean to get whatever it takes to get the car up to performance. So performance hop ups is what Frag is looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong. If that is what Frag is looking for, then the MTX-3 is a better buy as lesser things to get to make it race worthy.

Perhaps Frag should step in and be more specific on what types of hop ups he requires on his car.. What level does he expect his car to perform and where does he see himself in RC racing...
You read my mind InitialD!!!

Here I go:

I am in the nitro world for the last 3 years, so I am really familiar with it. But it doesn’t mean that I have knowledge in championship racing right . My driving skills are good, but I never raced in a point championship. I actually own my old HPI Racer 2 and a Savage SS truck. I love my racer 2, but you will all agree that it’s not a race car at all.

So my goal is to be competitive in a racing club for a season championship. I know that most of the guys run the MTX3, the Serpent 710 and some the R40.

But as I told you, since I am not a racer yet, I cannot really guess what I will need to upgrade to be competitive. I can guess that I will need a front one way diff and stronger shock tower… but I am not sure of what parts I will need to put on later this season. It’s why I am asking in general term if the R40 and MTX3 are the same price to upgrade.

I live in San Jose, California.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Frag
You read my mind InitialD!!!

Here I go:

I am in the nitro world for the last 3 years, so I am really familiar with it. But it doesn’t mean that I have knowledge in championship racing right . My driving skills are good, but I never raced in a point championship. I actually own my old HPI Racer 2 and a Savage SS truck. I love my racer 2, but you will all agree that it’s not a race car at all.

So my goal is to be competitive in a racing club for a season championship. I know that most of the guys run the MTX3, the Serpent 710 and some the R40.

But as I told you, since I am not a racer yet, I cannot really guess what I will need to upgrade to be competitive. I can guess that I will need a front one way diff and stronger shock tower… but I am not sure of what parts I will need to put on later this season. It’s why I am asking in general term if the R40 and MTX3 are the same price to upgrade.

I live in San Jose, California.
Don't know about San Jose but in LA MTX3 seems to enjoy better part support than R40 at the tracks I visit.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Get a Yokomo GT4W2L and you will have all that you need ...

cya !

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #25
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Frag
It’s why I am asking in general term if the R40 and MTX3 are the same price to upgrade.
In my opinion, if you want to compare and set the benchmark on how you need to upgrade either the R40 and the MTX-3, you should look no further than the rides of Hara for R40 and Mike Swauger for the MTX-3.

It is in my honest opinion that if you need to upgrade the R40 and the MTX-3 to the same specs as raced by Hara and Mike Swauger respectively, you would end up spending more for the R40. But then again, it depends on how much you can get the basic kit for. The MTX-3 is going to come out with their PRO spec version of the kit. Check their website. It has most of the goodies that you'll ever want. So their normal non pro kits can be gotten cheap too.

Whereas for the R40, if you're interested in their PRO kit, you need to get somebody who is in Japan to buy you the 2004 spec kit which is only released in Japan. It has all the goodies. Good luck finding spares for the 2004 kit as you probably need to order direct from Japan or Hong Kong. If you buy the normal kit and plan to upgrade it to the same as the 2004 kit, good luck finding all those parts too.

But since you mentioned the 710 , you should know that you only need spurs, pinions and lots of tires with practise to get to where you want to. It has everything you ever need without needing to worry about performance hop ups.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #26
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
Get a Yokomo GT4W2L and you will have all that you need ...
Is the GT4 supported well in San Jose, California?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:58 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
But since you mentioned the 710 , you should know that you only need spurs, pinions and lots of tires with practise to get to where you want to. It has everything you ever need without needing to worry about performance hop ups.
impressive, 7 posts to get to your point !!! you are becoming very subtle these day.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

If you decide on the MTX-3 I have a brand new one for sale. It is ready to run with electronics and a new Rody modified. Everything is absolutely brand new. E-mail me if you want details. I will be in San Jose on the 24th.
PasCarRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #29
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Data
impressive, 7 posts to get to your point !!! you are becoming very subtle these day.
That's how I make 10,000th post ! You're pretty good yourself. But you only need one post to make me aware that I made 7 to get to my point across. Excellent.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:01 PM   #30
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

The MTX-3 is going to come out with their PRO spec version of the kit. Check their website. It has most of the goodies that you'll ever want. So their normal non pro kits can be gotten cheap too.

Yap. However, note that of all the cars out there on the market, almost none of them needs upgrades to be competitive at the highest level of racing (and by highest, i mean it) Even the upgrades on the R40 is not a necessity even at high levels of competition. Look at hara, he used the heavy stock (old design) transmission when he raced last year at revelation and his car wasnet any slower than the others.

And plus, i am very skeptic about what upgrades on R/C car does. To me, they dont make much of a difference, and I am sure that many would agree. Unlike real cars, where most mod make quite a big difference.

So, even if you are a semi-pro, running the R40 stock can get you a podium finish any day. It is not the car, it is the driver
B is offline   Reply With Quote