Wiki Posts
Search

MTX-2 clutch assembly stuck!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Angry MTX-2 clutch assembly stuck!!

I have a Mugen mtx-2 that wouldn't shift, I was trying to pull the gears and clutch assembly off, but the outer cover of the clutch (I took bolth gears off) wouldn't come off so I loosened the set screw and tried to pull the whole thing off but it seems to be stuck on the shaft. I was wondering if anybody might know what is wrong and what I can do to fix it. Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

The setscrews that hold the balls on the 2 speed need adjusting.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

I tried adjusting them but it still wouldn't shift so that's when I tried to remove the whole assembly
Old 04-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So the clutch bell is stuck on the output shaft of the engine? The bearings may be frozen on the shaft, or excess threadlock may have leaked and is causing the binding. You may be able to get a wide flat blade screw driver and gently pry up on two opposing sides of the clutch bell. But be very careful, if you bend the clutchbell slightly it will give you problems down the road.

But you mights be talking about the two speed gears on the layshaft. I don't remember exactly, but there are a couply of large e-clips that will need to come off before the gear can be removed.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

You are talking about the 2 speed and not the clutch. The clutch has the aluminum pinion gears and no set screws. Whereas the 2 speed holds the plastic spur gears. The internal 2 speed mechanism has 2 set screws inside. The one that goes straight down is the one that holds it on the shaft and the one that is offset a little is the adjuster.

Once you get the 2 speed off, turn the adjuster all the way in (tighten) and back it out 5.5 turns for a good starting point. Put it back in the car, warm it up and see where it shifts. If your car still isn't shifting it is possible you have the 2 speed assembly in backwards. Take it out, flip it over and try again. IIRC when you are looking at the shaft, the adjuster screw should be to the front of the car. You should double check the manual just to be sure.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

I was talking about the two speed sorry, I ended up pulling the whole shaft out and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came apart. Thanks for all your help.