R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S
Sorry about that, i thought because you quoted im saying V-One S you meant not to get that car...
Sorry...
That's cool mate, just don't want this thread to turn into another bashing match...
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Instead of everyone simply saying "all cars are great", maybe someone can point out some of the strengths and weaknesses of the cars the own or have owned?? I think that's what the author of this thread was going for.
jay272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #18
Tech Adept

I have seen alot of people switch cars for many reasons, but I can not think of many people switching from a MTX3 to another car for durability or performance reasons, also if you look at the title of many threads here they often compare cars to the MTX3, wonder why?
But at the end of a race day the few guys that are fastest could probably win no matter which car they used, with experience/practice comes skill of driving/tuning, both of which have little connection to luck. My point I dunno
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jay272
Instead of everyone simply saying "all cars are great", maybe someone can point out some of the strengths and weaknesses of the cars the own or have owned?? I think that's what the author of this thread was going for.
Instead of simply point out the error of our ways, perhaps you can enlighten everyone with insights on the pros and cons of the cars you have owned?
Old 04-15-2004, 04:21 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

I can compare Kyosho V-One RR and Magic G4.
The Kyosho is in Sweden = BAD support and parts availability, the distributor in Sweden does only put money in 1:8 offroad and Mini-Z. Expensive as hell, half the price of the most of the stuff in HK and you get the stuff twice as fast..

Magic = Great support from a distributor who only concentrate in elec touring and nitro touring. Cheap, not much cheaper to buy the stuff in HK. And (I've said it before) Great support and parts availability
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:43 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

so nitro is like electric. lots of good chassis, comes down to the driver, and parts support. there is still the problem of deciding which one to get. so far i like the MTX-3, Trinity G4, but since im just starting in nitro, i might go with a v one rr, as they are pretty solid. i dont hit things alot, but its getting used to using brakes and motor tuning, stuff i want to do on a car that will take abuse.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:29 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Instead of simply point out the error of our ways, perhaps you can enlighten everyone with insights on the pros and cons of the cars you have owned?

I've never owned a Nitro touring car, so I'd also want to know how you guys feel about the nitro touring cars you've owned. I wasn't trying to be rude. But No one ever answers the often asked question ,"Which car is the best".
Old 04-15-2004, 07:00 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Straight-up ?.....get an Associated NTC3 (RTR-Kit) duzzint matter which one. Depends on the level of driving (race or street-bash). Is my first and only nitro car. Its durable, takes alot of racing/bashing abuse(kind abuse though-not purposely going into a concrete pillar at full speed). Spares availability is very good, note i'm in Africa. Easy to tune the stock .12 engine, many set-up options. Can't think of anything wrong with the car so far. Its inexpensive too,
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:15 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I've never owned a Nitro touring car, so I'd also want to know how you guys feel about the nitro touring cars you've owned. I wasn't trying to be rude. But No one ever answers the often asked question ,"Which car is the best".
There is no way to answer a question like "Which car is the best?". There are too many factors to consider. Are you talking about which car is best when box stock? Or which car is best after its been fully upgraded? Or are you asking which car is most durable? Or are you asking which car has the most wins in major competition? And so on and so on.

There is a guy that comes to race touring with us sometimes and he has an ancient TC3 that is bone stock. He is so fast with the car its ridiculous. Its all about the driver and the setup.

For the beginner that has never raced nitro before I would say that the best car for them is the car that the most people at their track race. The one that has good parts availability and lots of info on setup from more experienced racers. I am partial to the Mugen brand name myself, but that is because something like 80% of the drivers at my home track drive MTX-3's. I am still driving an old MTX-2 with upgraded everything on it. Alot of the guys at the track used to run that car so setup advice is easy to come by.

I say thats its not the equipment but knowing what to do with it thats important.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Fair enough. If you look at the beginning of the post, I put forth a list of cars I consider to be "best." I would be happy with any one of them. Perhaps the biggest difference among them are the old "shaft vs. belt" comparison. Others have said this in the tread, but I will say it again. The best car is the car with the most support in your track.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Dontfeelcold.....

I don't have much experience with nitro sedans, but I built an R40 (and sold it the day after I ran it). There seems to be quite a few on ebay these days.

The car handled great, but the excessive steering slop was intolerable. The clutch was also a little slippery too. People tell me that there is a ball bearing steering conversion kit for about $20, which will supposedly get rid of the slop.

what's most important to you......performance or cost?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:52 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

has anyone seen a VoneS with a non-pullstart do really good in the pro touring class?
Old 04-18-2004, 08:02 AM   #28
Tech Adept

BrainTeased- No, i have not.
Dontfeelcold- why dun you give us more info like your budget range, preference of belt, shaft driven... pull or non pullstart RTR, kit... blah blah

By choosing the more important preferences, you can actually make the decision yourself!
ben1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #29
Ike
Tech Master

I'm kind of in the same boat as Dontfeelcold...

A little background on my situation, I don't want to spend a ton of money, and I race a FT TC3 for electric cars. The gas car would be more for having fun in parking lots but I might want to move up to racing it. Most of the 1/10th scale onroad nitro tracks are sort of far from where I live so it won't get a ton of track use, especially considering the weather in Milwaukee. So, my criteria...

1.) Fun and fast for parking lot bashing.

2.) Easy enough to figure out for a nitro noob.

3.) Not overly expensive.

4.) Easily upgradable to be race ready.

5.) Something that handles well enough that I won't just want to get my race prepped electric car out.

6.) At first I will probably swap my steering servo and receiver back and forth between this and my electric TC, so ease in swapping those out would be nice.

7.) A quick explanation of typical classes and engine types used would be useful as well as what engine my be best for someone in my situation.

8.) If I want something nitro to mess around with more than race would I be better off with an offroad car?

Thanks,
Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:23 AM   #30
Ike
Tech Master

Anyone?
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote