Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Front Engine Nitro Cars? >

Front Engine Nitro Cars?

Front Engine Nitro Cars?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Front Engine Nitro Cars?

Does a nitro R/C car with an engine over or in front of the front wheels exist. I am trying to find out a find out if there are any out there.

I am working on a senior design project in my high school engineering program, and any information would be helpful.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KoNeko
Does a nitro R/C car with an engine over or in front of the front wheels exist. I am trying to find out a find out if there are any out there.

I am working on a senior design project in my high school engineering program, and any information would be helpful.
only seen ep TC cars use an engine up front.. back in the day... if memory serves corally had a front engined/mounted motor..

for those that are a bit older than me would recall the reverse positioned engines back in the early 90s that spun the rear wheels main gear attached where off road buggies/GT cars have a dog bone leading to the mid diff..

my 2c

what are you aims and is it just for fun and being different.. what and the benefits of mounting the engine the way your thinking..

electric cars.. yeah i can see that being easier to do.. but nitro.. youd mabe flip the front diff facing forward with a main gear attached.. which could work.. just that it may not add benefit to a RC car. front heavy perhaps..

i know in 1:1 le mans nissan has the engine at front in their configuration..
Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thordspeed
what are you aims and is it just for fun and being different.. what and the benefits of mounting the engine the way your thinking..

electric cars.. yeah i can see that being easier to do.. but nitro.. youd mabe flip the front diff facing forward with a main gear attached.. which could work.. just that it may not add benefit to a RC car. front heavy perhaps..
I have an Exceed Rally Monster (which I know is cheep and not that fast.) and it has issues turning quickly. I than researched and found that there are many ways to solve this problem with an ep car. What all of them do, is shift the weight forward to sacrifice forward and backward acceleration for side to side cornering grip, But you can't actually do that without adding weight to a nitro. So I want to do it in the design of the nitro car. Also from watching video's it seems that most of the crashes that I have seen are caused by under steer and over compensation for under steer. So in a 1/10th car it may benefit from having front bias weight in racing. This is just theory as of right now. But I found this E-Book talks about weight distribution. R/C Handbook by Scott Guyatt So I am trying to solve the under steer issues primarily.

Also, I am working on an R/C car Project because I enjoy R/C cars and I needed to solve a problem for my senior design project. So I chose under steer as the problem to solve. Also it solves the issue of front engine cars not being represented in the R/C world.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by KoNeko
I have an Exceed Rally Monster (which I know is cheep and not that fast.) and it has issues turning quickly. I than researched and found that there are many ways to solve this problem with an ep car. What all of them do, is shift the weight forward to sacrifice forward and backward acceleration for side to side cornering grip, But you can't actually do that without adding weight to a nitro. So I want to do it in the design of the nitro car. Also from watching video's it seems that most of the crashes that I have seen are caused by under steer and over compensation for under steer. So in a 1/10th car it may benefit from having front bias weight in racing. This is just theory as of right now. But I found this E-Book talks about weight distribution. R/C Handbook by Scott Guyatt So I am trying to solve the under steer issues primarily.

Also, I am working on an R/C car Project because I enjoy R/C cars and I needed to solve a problem for my senior design project. So I chose under steer as the problem to solve. Also it solves the issue of front engine cars not being represented in the R/C world.

alright well its a fun and awesome project so i wish you all the best.. and something that would be un thought of would be awesome to see.. there are ways if you implement belts and look at how 1/8th on road cars position their 3 belts.. you could surely position the engine more to the front instead of right infront.. mabe closer in... then theres the consideration as to where you would put the steering servo etc..