R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Bad one-way bearing?

Hey guys i need your opinions on this problem.

I have an old serpent impact 2wd. Im not getting drive to the rear wheels. So far i've concluded that-

Its not the diff slipping, (the layshaft doesnt even rotate and the gearstack is freewheeling)

The centax is not sprung too tight. The pad is definitely contacting the clutch bell.

I believe that leaves the 1st gear one-way bearing as being the only culprit. It will get a small amount of drive, but when i put some drag on the rear wheels, the gearstack will start slipping and continue to freewheel. So i know its not installed backwards.

The funny thing is, i take first gear off and try to slip the one-way bearing with my bare hands and its locks up just fine.

so im hoping somebody smarter than me will chime in..
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Bad bearing

[QUOTE=Turbo9000;7099986]Hey guys i need your opinions on this problem.

I have an old serpent impact 2wd. Im not getting drive to the rear wheels. So far i've concluded that-

Its not the diff slipping, (the layshaft doesnt even rotate and the gearstack is freewheeling)

The centax is not sprung too tight. The pad is definitely contacting the clutch bell.

I believe that leaves the 1st gear one-way bearing as being the only culprit. It will get a small amount of drive, but when i put some drag on the rear wheels, the gearstack will start slipping and continue to freewheel. So i know its not installed backwards.

I had the exact problem with an Evolva. I changed the one way bearing three or four times, checked the pullies, grub screws on the pullies, and actually tore the car down a couple of times, but everytime I put the car back together, the one way would not catch.
I finally moved the loosened the grub screws on all of the pullies, moved the layshaft towards the oneway, and then installed a small washer under the one way mounting bolt flanged washer. It works perfect now, but it drove me nuts. Should not have to do it that way, but I had already changed all of the parts a couple of times, and it still would not work.
But this worked for me with it sounds like the same problem you are having.
Good luck
Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Tech Master

One-way bearing maybe just dirty or installed incorrectly.. remove and clean with alchohol, then relube with one-way oil or grease.

I still run Serpent Impact2. Servicing the Centex, one-way after 2 races, and after 2 practice runs. Never had problems with the One-way keeping it serviced regularly.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
One-way bearing maybe just dirty or installed incorrectly.. remove and clean with alchohol, then relube with one-way oil or grease.

I still run Serpent Impact2. Servicing the Centex, one-way after 2 races, and after 2 practice runs. Never had problems with the One-way keeping it serviced regularly.

its cleaned and well oiled.

I'll spray it down with brake parts cleaner and try using a grease.

maybe its too well lubricated to lock up

out of curiosity, how could the bearing be installed incorrectly (other than being flipped around backwards) i didn't assemble it, im the second owner of the car.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=brc358;7100102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo9000 View Post

I had the exact problem with an Evolva. I changed the one way bearing three or four times, checked the pullies, grub screws on the pullies, and actually tore the car down a couple of times, but everytime I put the car back together, the one way would not catch.
I finally moved the loosened the grub screws on all of the pullies, moved the layshaft towards the oneway, and then installed a small washer under the one way mounting bolt flanged washer. It works perfect now, but it drove me nuts. Should not have to do it that way, but I had already changed all of the parts a couple of times, and it still would not work.
But this worked for me with it sounds like the same problem you are having.
Good luck
Very interesting.
so if i understand, essentially you removed the lateral play (slop) out of the one-way bearing surface?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
its cleaned and well oiled.

I'll spray it down with brake parts cleaner and try using a grease.

maybe its too well lubricated to lock up

out of curiosity, how could the bearing be installed incorrectly (other than being flipped around backwards) i didn't assemble it, im the second owner of the car.
Quickes way to chech one-way,turn your second gear clockwisw(CW), should lock up the wheels forward. CCW(CounterClockWise) i should freewheel. Or the Centex must be misadjusted. Adjust by access hole on pinion cluster, to turn collar CCW to engage the clutch sooner. Turning the collar CCW will take off tension on centex to engage sooner. Hole on the pinion cluster you have 2 holes, one between 1st & 2nd gear, and hole outside the 1st gear. This is the one you want to adjust. Small allen wrench will do. Just hold 1st & @nd gear by hand then turn complete cluster CCW.

Last edited by Geezatec; 03-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Bad bearing

[QUOTE=Turbo9000;7100252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post

Very interesting.
so if i understand, essentially you removed the lateral play (slop) out of the one-way bearing surface?
Exactly,
Dont know why I had to to it that way, because the car ran fine for about 2 years. It is a 2005/2007 Evolva.
So I changed the one way bearing many times, checked the grub screws, pullies, everything because I tore the car down trying to find out why it was doing that.I evenchanged out the rear lay shaft thinking it could be off on the lenght.
I then installed a small very thin flat washer between the outside flange of the one way, bewteen the hold down bolt. It worked perfect, and has been that way for almost a year now. When I do change out the spur gears, I just make sure not to misplace that small flat washer so it can be reinstalled.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=brc358;7103092]
Quote:

Exactly,
Dont know why I had to to it that way, because the car ran fine for about 2 years. It is a 2005/2007 Evolva.
So I changed the one way bearing many times, checked the grub screws, pullies, everything because I tore the car down trying to find out why it was doing that.I evenchanged out the rear lay shaft thinking it could be off on the lenght.
I then installed a small very thin flat washer between the outside flange of the one way, bewteen the hold down bolt. It worked perfect, and has been that way for almost a year now. When I do change out the spur gears, I just make sure not to misplace that small flat washer so it can be reinstalled.
I'll give that a try. I ordered a new one-way as well. The one in the car is probably 10 or 11 years old, so spending 6 bucks on a new one is small bananas.

interestingly, i was reading my old quattro 4004 kit manual, it says its important to NOT oil the one-way bearings, and to simply keep them clean
Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

The funny thing is, i take first gear off and try to slip the one-way bearing with my bare hands and its locks up just fine.

so im hoping somebody smarter than me will chime in..
Look inside the one way to see if the little rollers are all in place. I have had one or more of them move out of position and the bearing would not work. This required replacing the bearing.

Lee

Last edited by Winner's Circle; 03-08-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: incorrect reply
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default one way bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle View Post
Look inside the one way to see if the little rollers are all in place. I have had one or more of them move out of position and the bearing would not work. This required replacing the bearing.

Lee
Winners circle is correct on that, plus they will become flat over time, and they will not be able to grab as the one way rotates forward.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Turbo9000;7105465]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post

I'll give that a try. I ordered a new one-way as well. The one in the car is probably 10 or 11 years old, so spending 6 bucks on a new one is small bananas.

interestingly, i was reading my old quattro 4004 kit manual, it says its important to NOT oil the one-way bearings, and to simply keep them clean
Speaking of the Quattro. The Quattro was the beginning of the 2-speed tranny, designed by Hudy, for serpent. It may in the time it states that lube is not used. Today standards require it to use one-way oil, for maintenance. Many changes in 26 years or so.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default grub screws

if all else fails look at the simplest thing. There is a grub screw that should remain on the flat portion of the shaft. Or the pulley the grub screw seats in is shot. just a shot

"Failure Is Not An Option"
kcrunchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

A new one-way bearing did the trick. I think maybe the rollers were worn down or out of spec on the old bearing.. the new one-way has alot more positive feeling lock-up.