R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcpot View Post
It looks like the Edam car shares some dimensions with the 950, and from what I've read, some are using Mugen or 966 parts to enable the use of OS2 wheels. I'm gathering information to see if this conversion is possible, preferably with all-Serpent parts, but it looks like it won't be cheap...$150-$200 to do both the front and rear.

Cool, thanks for doing that. Let me/us know what you find out.

Scott
__________________
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
SC10 Brushless
RC10B64 Club Racer
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

I have a PARTS 950R car (means, not a complete car) that I want to sell...the best part for you is, my parts car has all the aluminum options that you might want..that you might not be able to find out (since the car is pretty outdated)...including the Serpent USA rear roll center bulkhead that you will not be able to find/buy unless it is year 2000 and in USA...

Anyhow, PM me if you are interested...

BTW..you cannot use OS1/OS2 suspension parts on 960 on 950R...I tried, the rear is totally different.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #18
Tech Master
 
SMcpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
..you cannot use OS1/OS2 suspension parts on 960 on 950R...I tried, the rear is totally different.
If you're talking about the original 960-960 '07, then I see your point. The rear end of the 960 '08 and 966, without having any measurements in front of me to confirm compatibility, looks more similar to the 950 than it does the earlier versions of the 960.
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I have a PARTS 950R car (means, not a complete car) that I want to sell...the best part for you is, my parts car has all the aluminum options that you might want..that you might not be able to find out (since the car is pretty outdated)...including the Serpent USA rear roll center bulkhead that you will not be able to find/buy unless it is year 2000 and in USA...

Anyhow, PM me if you are interested...

BTW..you cannot use OS1/OS2 suspension parts on 960 on 950R...I tried, the rear is totally different.

Sending you a PM now.

Scott
__________________
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
SC10 Brushless
RC10B64 Club Racer
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The best way to convert to the current geometry is to get part # 903009 guaranteed no head ache
here is a link: http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...prod=SER903009
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
The best way to convert to the current geometry is to get part # 903009 guaranteed no head ache
here is a link: http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...prod=SER903009

Wow, that was helpful, thanks a bunch.

Scott
__________________
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
SC10 Brushless
RC10B64 Club Racer
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
SMcpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,237
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
The best way to convert to the current geometry is to get part # 903009 guaranteed no head ache
here is a link: http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...prod=SER903009
LOL....you're absolutely right, Sam. But I'm stubborn that way
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Just to be honest with you guys: there is no way to convert the 950 or 950 R into the current geometry or OS2, you will end up spending almost $300.00 and the car still won't be up to par with the current car, just leave the old car the way it is and if you have a lot of parts, just use it up then move on to the next level.
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #24
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

If i was going to be racing one, i totally agree with you. I started this thread because i had heard that the original offset serpent wheels/tires were being discontinued and will not be available anymore. Since that appears to not be the case, i don't have the worry that i had about having a car without any wheels sitting in a box in the corner of my shop. I may eBay my 950R's and get a 966, i get to Lincoln occasionaly to see family, i could just make a race weekend out of it as well. I wish i had a track closer than that, but am not aware of any in the Denver area.

Scott
__________________
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
SC10 Brushless
RC10B64 Club Racer

Last edited by sdphilips; 03-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdphilips View Post
If i was going to be racing one, i totally agree with you. I started this thread because i had heard that the original offset serpent wheels/tires were being discontinued and will not be available anymore. Since that appears to not be the case, i don't have the worry that i had about having a car without any wheels sitting in a box in the corner of my shop. I may eBay my 950R's and get a 966, i get to Lincoln occasionaly to see family, i could just make a race weekend out of it as well. I wish i had a track closer than that, but am not aware of any in the Denver area.

Scott
I would not worry about SERPENT's offset tires will being discontinued. I mean, unless SERPENT itself being discontinued first...which I don't see that happen at all.

Anyway...if you are the semi-serious about 1/8th racing...the 950R will do the work for you. Afterall, the 1/8th ON ROAD generally are very much the same the last 10 years...what you saw on 950R, you will see it on 966..except, 966 are way more refine and with better material...for average joe like myself (or may be you) I don't think we can tell a hugh different...

I will send you pics once I gather all the parts that I can find...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice
 
Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bruckner, New York
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I would not worry about SERPENT's offset tires will being discontinued. I mean, unless SERPENT itself being discontinued first...which I don't see that happen at all.

Anyway...if you are the semi-serious about 1/8th racing...the 950R will do the work for you. Afterall, the 1/8th ON ROAD generally are very much the same the last 10 years...what you saw on 950R, you will see it on 966..except, 966 are way more refine and with better material...for average joe like myself (or may be you) I don't think we can tell a hugh different...

I will send you pics once I gather all the parts that I can find...
OS1 was replaced by OS2 because it is obvious that it couldn't keep up, you are saying that it is okay only because you want to sell your old stuff.
Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #27
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

OS2 was proven to be better, it is more responsive overall, that is the reason Serpent switched to OS2 and decided to discontinue the OS1 (suspension geometry changed too because of the offset)
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #28
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scottsbluff, NE
Posts: 564
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Can someone please measure the offset on a OS2 wheel, front and rear, for me?

Thanks,

Scott
__________________
1968 Camaro: 1:1, 5.3L LM7, Complete Restoration in Progress
SC10 Brushless
RC10B64 Club Racer
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #29
Tech Regular
 
getpip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 369
Default

If youre interested...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
__________________
------------------------
Check out my blog: www.pipskiracing.blogspot.com
------------------------
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android View Post
OS1 was replaced by OS2 because it is obvious that it couldn't keep up, you are saying that it is okay only because you want to sell your old stuff.
Oh really? You can read my mind...? Wow...

Read the whole freaking thread first....he got a 950R and want to adopt the OS2 setup...if he have ANY USE of the 966 or have no problem spending $600 for a new chassis , he would get 1 and would not even ask this question. Go give him a solution within $100 and have his 950R get the OS2 setup....if you cannot answer his question, SHUT THE HELL UP...

Last edited by Solara; 03-06-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 966 madbeats Nitro On-Road 2237 10-29-2014 09:08 AM
Serpent 960.... M7H Nitro On-Road 3281 11-14-2013 11:23 AM
s960 os1 to os2 yappy Nitro On-Road 12 03-26-2009 08:18 AM
08 SERPENT 960 COMPLETE couchhog R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 08-16-2008 07:50 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:45 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net