R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NEWBIE NEEDS HELP ASAP WITH PURCHASE

im new to this rc car hobby and im going to be pickin up my first rc car this week. i wanna buy the new hpi rs4 drift car, but im being told that its better i buy the rs4 nitro car with 2 speed transmission and just put drift tires on it. but im also told that it wont drift the same, but i will have extra speed.

to me it seems boring just doin straight aways so im wondering if anyone has done this swap and if it was as good as the drift hpi car. any help would be appreciated thank you
jarena81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarena81 View Post
im new to this rc car hobby and im going to be pickin up my first rc car this week. i wanna buy the new hpi rs4 drift car, but im being told that its better i buy the rs4 nitro car with 2 speed transmission and just put drift tires on it. but im also told that it wont drift the same, but i will have extra speed.

to me it seems boring just doin straight aways so im wondering if anyone has done this swap and if it was as good as the drift hpi car. any help would be appreciated thank you
I have read that its best to stick with the drift car if u want to do drifiting. The way the engine is positioned it helps. Also a two speed transmition will not work good for drifting. Hope this helps
Speedychris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
I have read that its best to stick with the drift car if u want to do drifiting. The way the engine is positioned it helps. Also a two speed transmition will not work good for drifting. Hope this helps
hey mate,

i used to drift Nitro RC 1/10th i ran a Hobao Hyper 10 it was great and good for 6 weeks untill i had to re-build the transmission as the cars get alot of stress when you lock the diffs up and run rubber tyres...

If you maintian your drift car it will be best to drift Nitro the sound the smoke "YEAH BABY" but keep in mind higher costs!!!

In electric its just battery and off you go
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I got the RS4 evo with the two speed trans. I havent gotten a chance to really mess with it because of snow, but i think if you had the gears timed right it might actually help. The lower gear helps to cut the tires loose and the higher end, if timed correctly, could help maintain the drift. however, if this is your first RC car go electric. So much easier to maintain. Like he said plug the battery in and go. If you go electric get a belt driven 4WD like the Losi sedan. A good brushless/Lipo system will actaully be faster than any Nitro car.
fallemnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if u go nitro just make sure u tune the motor on the rich side as the constant throttle will over heat the motor if not tuned correctly, and to get power out of a RTR hpi youll be leaning it out so just be careful

anyways electric is better for drifting the smooth powerband of electric cant be beat when it comes to never having traction
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarena81 View Post

Since you are new to the hobby go with the electric 1st since it is cheaper that way if you decide it's not for you at least you did not have to spend so much & you can always upgrade your motor to go faster in electric.
There is a lot more involved in nitro there is more cost & prep before you can even start drifiting with nitro breaking in your motor
Just for fun go with the electric you can always get a nitro version afterwards if this hobby is for u
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon

Last edited by GMartinez; 03-02-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: update
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Since you are new to the hobby go with the electric 1st since it is cheaper that way if you decide it's not for you at least you did not have to spend so much & you can always upgrade your motor to go faster in electric.
There is a lot more involved in nitro there is more cost & prep before you can even start drifiting with nitro breaking in your motor
Just for fun go with the electric you can always get a nitro version afterwards if this hobby is for u

I agree. start with electic, learn to drive. then if it moves you, go nitro.

Scott
sdphilips is offline   Reply With Quote