R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Unhappy is nitro on road and off road fading away?

Hello fellow rc guys/gals, I have a question.

I have just returned to the hobby after a 4 year break. When I last read back then, nitro was the hot ticket. A car that runs on fuel, pit stops, pit man, pit stragity, engine tuning, etc, etc, etc. Since my return all I see on line and in magazines is LiPo this LiPo that. I know that electric has come a long way with the technology and all but there is somethiing very appealing to fueling and tuning engines that makes my heart palpitate.

I'm not bashing electric as I started out with my first car being a yokomo MR4TC then a AE TC3. I then got into 1/8 off road and 1/10 on road, both nitro.

Can you imagine nascar racing hybrids or straight up electric?

I just want to know what happened to nitro?

Thanks.
DK9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK9mm View Post
Hello fellow rc guys/gals, I have a question.

I have just returned to the hobby after a 4 year break. When I last read back then, nitro was the hot ticket. A car that runs on fuel, pit stops, pit man, pit stragity, engine tuning, etc, etc, etc. Since my return all I see on line and in magazines is LiPo this LiPo that. I know that electric has come a long way with the technology and all but there is somethiing very appealing to fueling and tuning engines that makes my heart palpitate.

I'm not bashing electric as I started out with my first car being a yokomo MR4TC then a AE TC3. I then got into 1/8 off road and 1/10 on road, both nitro.

Can you imagine nascar racing hybrids or straight up electric?

I just want to know what happened to nitro?

Thanks.
It all cycles. Our tracks were mostly onroad now are mostly offroad. Electric few years back was popular and now nitro is the ticket. As I say that electric is starting to make a small come back here though.

All things cycle in the rc world.
Joe Maxey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
It all cycles. Our tracks were mostly onroad now are mostly offroad. Electric few years back was popular and now nitro is the ticket. As I say that electric is starting to make a small come back here though.

All things cycle in the rc world.

I have always been very pro electric and anti nitro but I run what is popular for the time and just enjoy wheel time no matter what the car is.

The industry has finally resolved the major problems with electric. Lets pick on sedan for one, if you were not a factory driver you couldn't get a fast 10t brushed motor (the limit when I quit) or the 1.18v batteries. If you could get decent packs, they were $120+ for 2-3 months of good use. Then if you had a great motor, you had to cut the comm every run and solder new brushes and then use your $400 charger to break in the brushes. Sometimes you could go 2-3 runs though but that is how the upper level was. Brushless was being tested when I was at SoCal but Novak was blowing up ESC's every weekend to find the right way to do it and they did.

Now we have electric 8th scale offroad which has always been nitro.. The electric cars are faster and better than the nitros on every track I have been to so far mostly because the throttle is more controllable but you are basically limited to 20 minute mains and most electric guys will vote for 15 minutes due to battery limits and no easy way to swap plus who wants 6 sets of 4S 55c batteries to finish one main. This class could win if people went back to the triple A-main format of say (3) 10 minute mains. Nitro is great because at a big race you usually have 60 minutes so you can take one turn wide and not be completely out of the running.

I don't think the invention of the electric onroad car (10th or 8th) will really shutdown nitro at the moment. Last I heard the 8th scale variety can only go 8 minutes or so and sedan can only do a bit more unless you are running stock but lets compare equal speeds and say you were running a 5t or 6t brushless.

Now that electric has essentially taken over as the "easier" class to run even at the highest levels, it comes down to run time and many will talk about the sound and smell of nitro that makes their decision. They both seem equally expensive though.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post

I have always been very pro electric and anti nitro but I run what is popular for the time and just enjoy wheel time no matter what the car is.

The industry has finally resolved the major problems with electric. Lets pick on sedan for one, if you were not a factory driver you couldn't get a fast 10t brushed motor (the limit when I quit) or the 1.18v batteries. If you could get decent packs, they were $120+ for 2-3 months of good use. Then if you had a great motor, you had to cut the comm every run and solder new brushes and then use your $400 charger to break in the brushes. Sometimes you could go 2-3 runs though but that is how the upper level was. Brushless was being tested when I was at SoCal but Novak was blowing up ESC's every weekend to find the right way to do it and they did.

Now we have electric 8th scale offroad which has always been nitro.. The electric cars are faster and better than the nitros on every track I have been to so far mostly because the throttle is more controllable but you are basically limited to 20 minute mains and most electric guys will vote for 15 minutes due to battery limits and no easy way to swap plus who wants 6 sets of 4S 55c batteries to finish one main. This class could win if people went back to the triple A-main format of say (3) 10 minute mains. Nitro is great because at a big race you usually have 60 minutes so you can take one turn wide and not be completely out of the running.

I don't think the invention of the electric onroad car (10th or 8th) will really shutdown nitro at the moment. Last I heard the 8th scale variety can only go 8 minutes or so and sedan can only do a bit more unless you are running stock but lets compare equal speeds and say you were running a 5t or 6t brushless.

Now that electric has essentially taken over as the "easier" class to run even at the highest levels, it comes down to run time and many will talk about the sound and smell of nitro that makes their decision. They both seem equally expensive though.
I hear what you are saying. It did get expensive running 1/10 on road electric as you mentioned. However, for me, the thrill of running an hour main by just fueling up every 8-10 minutes is exciting ( just like pit stops for nascar, which I am a fan of ) I enjoyed racing electric but not I wish there were more nitro races as this is what gets me going!

Thanks for the info Brian.
DK9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK9mm View Post
I hear what you are saying. It did get expensive running 1/10 on road electric as you mentioned. However, for me, the thrill of running an hour main by just fueling up every 8-10 minutes is exciting ( just like pit stops for nascar, which I am a fan of ) I enjoyed racing electric but not I wish there were more nitro races as this is what gets me going!

Thanks for the info Brian.
Agreed, I wish there were more races in general which is why I will drive basically anything but I live in a fairly largely populated town that doesn't seem to know much about racing. There are a huge # of tmaxx/revo/slash type sales around but very few ever turn into racers even with the 2010 sedan worlds track local (sort of, its up to an hour away from "metro" houston but about 3 hours from austin and san antonio plus another hour and you can have dallas)

Nitro touring is still about the most popular for onroad here, offroad may switch to electric though with a few die hards left in nitro.

I think this is a good topic though, hopefully some more people will post what they think too.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Whats nitro?????!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Nitro Off-road is way stronger in Florida the on-road elec/nitro is fading away due to less tracks but electric off-road is coming back with all the new added classes
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Nitro Off-road is way stronger in Florida the on-road elec/nitro is fading away due to less tracks but electric off-road is coming back with all the new added classes
eletrick offroad is pretty strong with the new lipo and awsome speed controlls , thing r for sure changing.