R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Here's the weather forecast for Los Angeles, just got off the phone with Tom, Wiley, and Kenny. not so good for this weekend. Next Sunday 3/14/2010will be a lot better for a work party at the Transit Center.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/90016
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #77
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just checked the weather and this Sunday is looking good.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #78
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default In conclusion....

At the heart of my intentions to get involved with GLA was simply this: to help. I thought that following the by-laws was the proper way to go about doing this. Most everyone that has raced with this organization has seen the short comings from lack of organization on the leadership side to lack of participation on the membership side. That being said, the main reason I began asking for elections to be held back in 2008 was in the hope that the club as a whole would benefit from more participation from a deeper level within the club administration.

(And before anyone decides that I have chosen to make these comments just because there was successful race this past weekend at RCX let me tell you that is not the case. In fact I am glad it all went so well. This weekend was good for moral and that is needed right now. I hope that those in attendance will hold the leadership accountable to maintain the standard set at this event for all races to come from here on out.)

Back in 2008 I began helping GLA with track set up and tear down as well as dragging the lot. Part of my intention in helping was looking forward to elections that I thought would be held sometime that year. I asked for elections several times as well as making other suggestions. Most of the time I was met with a “Hey that’s a good idea” or “We’ll have to bring that up at the next club meeting and thanks for sharing that.”

In the end the elections never happened. The underlying feeling I had then and to this day was that GLA was not a real “club”. At least not in the spirit of the word. Yes there is a leadership as well as a membership but the real inner workings of the club, meaning the democratic processes are just not there as far as I can see. In fact and this was confirmed by the president of the club, there would not be any talk of elections right now if it was for me bringing up the matter. Maybe for most of you this is okay. It does simplify things. I mean the trailer usually shows up and a handful of guys show up to assemble the track. By Sunday afternoon the races have come and gone and for many that is well enough. Believe me I understand that most of you just want to race. Who promotes the race and how they did it is mostly an afterthought.

Well I was coming from a place that well enough should and could be better.

For instance the issue with tire wear has been a problem from day one. So back in 2008 I was part of a group of about 8 volunteers that spent several nights at the lot dragging concrete blocks and semi truck tires till late at night and then we would set up the track so that it was ready to be run on the following morning. I started asking about talking to the city to find out if they would be willing to let us do something with the lot like slurry coat or latex painting it. I mean it seemed that it was worth a try. The club could vote to decide if they wanted to raise the money and go from there. Well that idea never went anywhere until I made a call this past February. I asked the leadership permission to call and I discovered that the property owners would be willing to work with us. All they needed was some pertinent information, the matter would be reviewed and if approved it could happen. I was thinking, “Great, we can solve the tire wear problem.” In fact a member had gotten some estimates and discovered it was quite reasonable. It was within the clubs ability to raise the money or maybe we could even find sponsors for the project. I mean the possibilities were there.

The president told me last Sunday why the exec com. opposed the idea from the start and gave me two reasons. The first was that if the club raised the money and GLA lost the privilege to use the lot that it would have been a waste. Well that is possible but think of this, if this process had been started two years ago we might be racing on a decent surface for who knows how much longer. And besides with tire wear being as high as it is I would rather take the chance as a club and spend the money on something that might just work. I mean, it is going to cost the racers either way either by buying tires or raising the money for a project like this. The second reason given was that since the 1/5 cars don’t run to well on coated surfaces and since they outnumber the 1/10 and 1/8 in club memberships and were the core group responsible for supporting the club last year that it’s just not a good idea. Well, again, I believe that the membership should be given the chance to decide what is right for the club not the executive committee. And also, as far as the slurry coat is concerned, I was assured that there is an asphalt like slurry coat that should not be a problem for the 1/5 cars. Someone had an idea that why don’t we see if we could just have the sweepers done with this coating, just to start with. This would allow us to see if the 1/5 cars could adapt to the coating while at the same time helping to reduce tire wear in the 1/10 and 1/8 cars. Now I don’t know if this would be possible but why not look into it? It just seems shortsighted to abandon an idea just because it sounds to risky. The solution from the leadership is to tell the foam car guys to run harder tires and try different set ups. I mean I guess that could work and so much for democracy.

Because of what happened last weekend I have felt a sense of responsibility to share what I told. You see, in the end, GLA has been run by the same group of guys for as long as anyone can remember. I came along thinking that if elections were held and more members became involved with running the club that in the end it would bring better organization and efficiency. I was very willing to get involved on this deeper level but felt that since it was called a club and memberships are paid for, that members rights to a fair and democratic process should be respected. I mean why would I think otherwise? There is a set of by-laws and elections are supposed to be held every year. Well to put a long story short I was told by the president of the club last Sunday that back in 2007 the executive committee decided that elections would be withheld from the members because they felt that there were no qualified members with adequate experience to run the club. I have to be honest when I say that this news really disappointed me. I felt that this decision should not have been kept from the membership and especially from me since I was directly ASKING for club elections. Why wasn’t I told this is how the “Executive Committee” really felt? I mean if I had known this back in 2008 when I was dragging the concrete parking stops around the lot till one in the morning I would have immediately quit helping “the club”. I think it is really unfair to mislead members into thinking they are getting something for their membership that in the end they are never going to get.

Now I am not trying to knock what GLA has done over the years. I know that running a program like this is a lot of work. I could see from the first time I raced with them back in ’97 that they needed help. I have always pitched in where I could putting up and taking down the track. Criticisms aimed at me for asking for elections have been discouraging for me to read and hear about and are hurtful too. And you know all along this process, I have never attacked anyone personally. I understand that these guys are just trying to protect their positions but it still is hard to be attacked for wanting to help. Look all I wanted to do was help. I thought more administrative support via elections would get us there. The impression I get is that the core group that runs GLA does not really want this type of help and I understand that now. Whatever critical things I have said here are only my opinions and I get the impression that most of you just want to race and leave it at that. So I am withdrawing my bid for nomination to run for president of GLA and from here on out will stay out of GLA business. However, I still encourage the membership to demand that the elections take place on April 1 as scheduled. I wish GLA and anyone who participates in their events all the best.

One last thing that I wanted to address was a decision that was handed down apparently by someone in ROAR. This was in response to the situation that occurred last weekend between Glen and myself. I had decided not to disclose the particulars of the event online because I had discussed the matter with Glen later that evening and I felt that the matter was between him and I and further explainations were not needed. However I may change my stand on that since it has been used against me. Last Wednesday I was informed that Glen and I had received a 90 day suspension from ROAR. I have checked with the Roar Administration and learned that I was never suspended. My question was never answered from who or where this suspension came from and all I can say is that the only way for someone to be suspended by ROAR is by the ROAR Executive Committee. In my opinion, anyone posing to or pretending to have authority to override protocol should have his or her membership revoked and banned from ROAR.

Last edited by Danny A.; 03-23-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Danny A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I have only one thing to say regarding your entire post, Danny. I don't race 1/5th scale I understand that they make up the majority of the entries for GLA races. I can state with a lot of certainty that the reason is because of the tremendous tire wear at the Transit Center. The attendance for the foam tire classes at RCX was significantly higher and I am quite sure it was because the guys want to race and they felt tire wear would be a bit more "normal". The RCX race proved there are lots of foam tire racers that want to race and if the tire wear situation were better at the Transit Center I know we would easily outnumber the 1/5th scale cars.

Please don't misunderstand me. This isn't a contest between 1/5th and the nitro foam guys. I have no problem with the 1/5th cars except maybe the fact that they constantly destroy the track but in the end I don't care if they want to race too. The bottom line is if there is a way to improve things for the nitro foam cars it will DEFINITELY be a benefit to GLA and RC racing in region 12.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Danny I have to ask who informed you last Wednesday that you were going to receive this 90 day suspension?

As I see it Roar has no rights in a club issue, there was no race or event going on at the time, this could of happen at your home between you and Glen and Roar has no rights in this issue, and if there is a Roar official over stepping there boundaries then yes its wrong.

But also as I see it read it and hear it you have over step your boundaries also. You come on here acting like you are a victim, which is not the case you are as much responsible as next person. Things might not be working as well as you or other might like for this club, but it has survived all this time without you so far. Now you and others might have some good ideas but doing them and handling them in manner you have in past few weeks was not the way to go. You cannot come on board and push for those kinds of changes in that kind of manner it will not work, you will become the outsider or that person that everyone hates and talk about at all the race events. As much as you don't like the person we have those issue with here in Vegas you are becoming just like that. I said to you in post while back changes need to be well thought out with clear plans and understanding.

I am here to race and have a good time as I did this past weekend, I had a great time talking to other racers.
These people that are over stepping there boundaries will always stick there own foot in there mouth and will always be the true outsiders. Do you want to become that person that everyone talks about and have nothing good to say about you? We have one now, I hope you do not become the next one.

At this time all you can do is give your ideas, if they are taken then great if not people will see it and then question why? It takes time. Just have fun really tire wear? we spend 400$ on Motor and your issues is 40$ in tires.

This is my opinion, by you posting you opened it up to opinions now you have mine.
I have Byron fuel 16, 20, 25 & 30
Robert R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Just to clarify, ROAR is aware of the issue that happened between Danny and myself and the suspension was a decision of the club board of directors, not ROAR. If further investigation is needed, a ROAR official would provide documentation on their policies reguarding altercations. Plain and simple
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #82
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilli2001us View Post
Just to clarify, ROAR is aware of the issue that happened between Danny and myself and the suspension was a decision of the club board of directors, not ROAR. If further investigation is needed, a ROAR official would provide documentation on their policies reguarding altercations. Plain and simple
Glenn this is not what you told the night i asked you if Danny was being suspended by ROAR, I tried to stay away from all you guys drama, but for you to come and post that ( Just to clarify )make me look like a liar. I'm the one who told danny he was getting suspended from ROAR because there was rumors going around that he was; as being one who was threaten to be suspended by ROAR also, I knew that someone from ROAR will give you a call and get your side of the story so I thought it was weird that he was being suspended but not notified.

It a hobby, something we do to get away from real world Drama, I'm not taking sides i think everyone should step back and realize its a hobby again and get back to racing.

my 1.5 cents
Old 03-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #83
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a joke to here this Danny I feel for you in this, I was running GLA a long time ago in Carson and got ripped off by the person handling entires at that time and never felt right about that but over time I forgave and went back to participate for the love of the sport and friends I had made over the years of running on-road, now I'm not a regular but I can say quite a few people know me and I like to help out when I can and like when they were at the current parking lot when the race was over I would lhelp but boards away others that I know were there putting the track together days before and most of them were not club members.
I read this about board of directors who the heck are they, are they the ones that sit around all day and complain about the track and the way it was put up and not lift a finger days before in helping or dissaembling because that's what I would hear when I was there paying to race and have fun, you Board of (who you like) Directors have been up to par and has kept me form going over to watch or participate, it's a shame to here of a suspension from some diagreement or altercation not during an event , this can't be somewhat resolved within the circle and move on and race, I still love the on-road and truly miss it the friends I have there are now guys I see like once evey year and that's too long in between. So get corrected level things out and bring the peeps back to racing instead of arguing on-road here is not popular becuase of these problems, it's not dead we only make it dead.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Brian...sorry for the misunderstanding, you are correct and I was still pretty upset when you called me. and in case anybody is wondering, I too am suspended for 90 days, from GLARCRC racing, not ROAR events by decision of GLARCRC BOD.

Lastly if someone thinks they were ripped off for an entry fee, I can speak for all of those who help us run these events, the person who collected the fees (if I am right about that race) makes over 100,000/yr and I really don't think a race entry is something they would want to "rip off". If you want, Send me a PM with your information and I will refund your money out of my own pocket.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #85
Tech Elite

No I don't ven care about the cash it was the principle about it and this was years ago and I got over and continued to race with GLA, I can't even remember you there back then Glen, this was so long ago Nelson was fast with a Shumacher . I wanted to be a club member a long time ago but there was always something that just put a bump in the road to deter me.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
No I don't ven care about the cash it was the principle about it and this was years ago and I got over and continued to race with GLA, I can't even remember you there back then Glen, this was so long ago Nelson was fast with a Shumacher . I wanted to be a club member a long time ago but there was always something that just put a bump in the road to deter me.
You should start racing onroad again. Dave Starks looked like he had fun!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #87
Tech Fanatic

Cool wit me if it's cool wit you...c'mon out!!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #88
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
Danny I have to ask who informed you last Wednesday that you were going to receive this 90 day suspension?

As I see it Roar has no rights in a club issue, there was no race or event going on at the time, this could of happen at your home between you and Glen and Roar has no rights in this issue, and if there is a Roar official over stepping there boundaries then yes its wrong.

But also as I see it read it and hear it you have over step your boundaries also. You come on here acting like you are a victim, which is not the case you are as much responsible as next person. Things might not be working as well as you or other might like for this club, but it has survived all this time without you so far. Now you and others might have some good ideas but doing them and handling them in manner you have in past few weeks was not the way to go. You cannot come on board and push for those kinds of changes in that kind of manner it will not work, you will become the outsider or that person that everyone hates and talk about at all the race events. As much as you don't like the person we have those issue with here in Vegas you are becoming just like that. I said to you in post while back changes need to be well thought out with clear plans and understanding.

I am here to race and have a good time as I did this past weekend, I had a great time talking to other racers.
These people that are over stepping there boundaries will always stick there own foot in there mouth and will always be the true outsiders. Do you want to become that person that everyone talks about and have nothing good to say about you? We have one now, I hope you do not become the next one.

At this time all you can do is give your ideas, if they are taken then great if not people will see it and then question why? It takes time. Just have fun really tire wear? we spend 400$ on Motor and your issues is 40$ in tires.

This is my opinion, by you posting you opened it up to opinions now you have mine.
Robert,
To answer your first question, the person who told me shall remain nameless unless he decides he wants to step up and say anything. This is my post and if the integrity and truth about it is going to be questioned by those reading it then so be it. I am not going to bring in other people to my discussion by naming them. Should this person feel the need to say something that is his choice. However I will say that the person who told me is of the highest integrity and that I fully trust in this person’s word.

Perhaps I was not clear about where I am coming from. I understand how my words may sound especially if you are have not been around GLA the past couple of years so I must make it perfectly clear that I began asking for and making suggestions TWO years ago. I did not just come on board last month throwing around these ideas and suggestions. As mentioned earlier I repeatedly asked for elections to take place and if I was simply told how the exec. com. TRULY FELT ABOUT ABOUT ITS MEMBERS NOT BEING QUALIFIED TO RUN THE CLUB back in 2008 when I began asking for elections I would have stepped back from making suggestions and asking for change back then. You see nothing has really changed within the attitude of the exec com. They still do not want to have elections and now that this fact has been clearly spelled out for me, I am standing down. I am not sure how else I could have gone about handling the situation in a more careful manner than by simply asking and making suggestions. And then I was repeatedly told that these were great ideas and thanks for bringing it up, thanks for bringing it up, etc, etc, I was lead to believe that something would come of it. I suppose that after two years of asking and making the same suggestions over and over being told “great idea, thanks for sharing!”and in the end nothing coming from it that I may now sound I like I am coming off as pushy, but how would you feel if you had been treated this way?

As for comparing me to someone simply because I am sounding “pushy “I do not think is a fair assessment. Think about it. I may have demanded to have elections that is true (and so you know, as a club member in good standing it is everyone’s right as a member to demand elections if they are not provided), but I never forced anyone or dictated to anyone that it should take place. The GLA leadership agreed to host the elections and they were supposed to post the nomination list online which has never happened and I am doubtful that unless you members continue asking for the elections to take place it is not going to happen. Again, I was simply asking for the by-laws to be followed. And think about this, if the leadership of the club is dictating when or if it will ever allow elections to be conducted, then how can you in good judgement sit there and compare me to someone and not compare the GLA leadership of the same thing? Remember this, now that I have been shown how the GLA Exec. Comm. really feels, Iam the one backing down. By backing down I am saying “Hey guys, you win, do it your way. I am going to respect your wishes to let you guys run YOUR organization anyway you see fit.” Robert when was the last time anyone in your hometown backed down and respected what the other party was doing?

And as far as I am concerned it does not matter how well thought out plans are or how much understanding there is between two parties so long as the people in charge do not want change. If the leadership of the club had been open to the idea of change and elections, would I still look like the outsider for asking for the elections? Probably not. I was just asking for what is stated in the by-laws and now I am the odd person on the outside because the leadership does not want it and is resisting the idea and THAT, THE LEADERSHIP NOT WANTING IT is what makes me look like I am the one with the problem. Hey it is like I said, if the leadership does not want change and the membership is not interested in really getting involved with elections and helping to run the club, then yeah, I need to shut up and keep my nose out of it, which I am going to do. Now if I from this point on if I keep pushing for elections and changes then yes I have the problem.

As for the tire wear deal, I am not complaining about a single $40 set of tires, it is a fact that if someone wants to do it right, it is going to take at least 3 to 4 complete sets of tires a day to compete out there. That is $120-$160 a day just in tires. Now what if that is a two day show? Now it jumps to $240-$320. Now if money is not your concern then so be it. My concern and consideration was how can we and I mean we as a club, attract the racers that used to come out and race but are concerned about the tire bill? I was simply stating that the property owners would be willing to hear a proposal about a possible solution to the problem. Again, if you feel strongly enough about the matter, YOU should have the right to vote on it. The right to voice YOUR opinion by voting was the other issue that mattered to me here because I believe it is wrong if the leadership has kept that decision out of the reach of the memberships hands. But again, that is only my opinion.

Last edited by Danny A.; 03-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #89
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I have only one thing to say regarding your entire post, Danny. I don't race 1/5th scale I understand that they make up the majority of the entries for GLA races. I can state with a lot of certainty that the reason is because of the tremendous tire wear at the Transit Center. The attendance for the foam tire classes at RCX was significantly higher and I am quite sure it was because the guys want to race and they felt tire wear would be a bit more "normal". The RCX race proved there are lots of foam tire racers that want to race and if the tire wear situation were better at the Transit Center I know we would easily outnumber the 1/5th scale cars.

Please don't misunderstand me. This isn't a contest between 1/5th and the nitro foam guys. I have no problem with the 1/5th cars except maybe the fact that they constantly destroy the track but in the end I don't care if they want to race too. The bottom line is if there is a way to improve things for the nitro foam cars it will DEFINITELY be a benefit to GLA and RC racing in region 12.
Scott,

All I can say is that I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
You should start racing onroad again. Dave Starks looked like he had fun!
Hey Francis I would love to, maybe in Chino I here there's a track, got to get a JL-10.

yes a Dave did say he had alot of fun, he also said he got airborne, and I told him you're an off- road guy didn't you use the brakes to bring the nose down and nail the landing?