Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LiFe rx pack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stefan
Just get one of those and get it over with.

Excellent charger, which covers all nitro racer's needs and much more

http://cgi.ebay.com/Imax-b6-Lipo-bat...item2eab865d2b
This charger is the same as Turnigy or GT power chargers, inside of them are completely same, and yes, its more than enough for nitro racers. Im also driving an electric touring car, and charging my lipos with this charger.

My friend told me that in an ETS race, he saw Martin Hudy using one of these!!!

I want to ask you guys though, why do you use Life or lipo instead of Nimh? I use lipo in my transmitter and starterbox, but in my car I use Nimh packs and never have a problem.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by musti72
This charger is the same as Turnigy or GT power chargers, inside of them are completely same, and yes, its more than enough for nitro racers. Im also driving an electric touring car, and charging my lipos with this charger.

I want to ask you guys though, why do you use Life or lipo instead of Nimh? I use lipo in my transmitter and starterbox, but in my car I use Nimh packs and never have a problem.
Better run time and lighter weight. but same question back at ya whey do use lipo in ya radio and starter box
Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Check my previous post, I did make an update...
For me, 2 things:
- Weight, 125gr. NiMh compared to 72gr. LiFe
- Less voltage drop under load...

Ok, and maybe because I like to go with something new, so once and a while.....
Old 07-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm with you Musti. If you're in nitro sedan class, there's no need to lighten up the car in the lower part of the chassis...just to replace the weight to be in the rules. And NIMH seems to be the best bang for the buck in the long term, not to mention safety issues with Lipo and Life bateries.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

I use lipo in my radio because I also use it in computer games, so runtime is important. And its 3PK, so heavy...
Lipo in my starterbox because lead acid batteries are way too heavy and they dont last long. In addition, starterbox with lipo turns new engines easy.
Less voltage drop and longer runtime sounds nice but I would consider putting life in my car only if my car was too heavy but Im already underweight with stock Capricorn, so can not afford being another 60gram lighter.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cobra zz
NIMH seems to be the best bang for the buck in the long term, not to mention safety issues with Lipo and Life bateries.
NiMh:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=15217

LiFe:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=18240

$4 difference....

LiFe has no safety issues like LiPo, and we are also talking 1450mAh, not 5000.....

But NiMh is perfect for Rx, don't get me wrong.
I could loose some weight on my car, then LiFe is a good option.

1 more remark, if you know the theory behind electro, you know that with my remark on the previous page you will get more runtime with LiFe, compared to NiMh, why?
Because the voltage drops more with NiMh then with LiFe, the servo's will draw more current to have the same power output, so a 1600mAh NiMh will have less runtime then a 1600mAh LiFe....
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

ive got the ip 1450 life, and unlike nihm no memory effect and hold its charge over time w/o use, got the hobbyking eco6 charger at $20 w/0 shipping from hobbyking.com , charges all my lipo life lead acid and nihm and glow starter w/o any issues so far! can beat that price and performance, and i use my laptop charger as power supply btw! and i also got a 2 swire extension so to balance my life rx pack without removing the battery tray, also from hobbyking!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have a question for you guys. i asked this on another thred before seeing this one. what is a good li-fe rx pack to buy. ive seen the ip but what about some others that have been used. thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JJBooch
i have a question for you guys. i asked this on another thred before seeing this one. what is a good li-fe rx pack to buy. ive seen the ip but what about some others that have been used. thanks.
you can get this one but it is expensive compared to the ip one

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/vtec-b...y-66v/details/
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hyperion also makes 2s LiFe packs in a few different configurations. When looking at the package it has a 5c rating on the front. That's nothing if it was the discharge C rating but it's not. Hyperion claims, a balance charge rate of 5c. The discharge C rating is 25c.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

just did some testing on my g4 rs09 with a li-fe pack because i did want to use a ubec on the car
i used 2 a123 aa cells and made my own pack each cell is 1600mAh so it runs for a long time and the servo's work way better at 6.6 volts

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
NiMh:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=15217

LiFe:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=18240

$4 difference....

LiFe has no safety issues like LiPo, and we are also talking 1450mAh, not 5000.....

But NiMh is perfect for Rx, don't get me wrong.
I could loose some weight on my car, then LiFe is a good option.

1 more remark, if you know the theory behind electro, you know that with my remark on the previous page you will get more runtime with LiFe, compared to NiMh, why?
Because the voltage drops more with NiMh then with LiFe, the servo's will draw more current to have the same power output, so a 1600mAh NiMh will have less runtime then a 1600mAh LiFe....
I used the LiFe from RC-toro:

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....71369824efd988

I never had any incidents of it. Even I don't use a lipo bag, I feel safe about it. It is very low voltage and small capacity, so the energy burst is not very great (not like the 14.8V 5000mah+ battery).

The key here is to get a good charger, so your battery will get cut off properly. All the incidents I heard are related to overcharging. In such case, it really doesn't matter what kind of batteries. There is always a safety hazard.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by td-civ
just did some testing on my g4 rs09 with a li-fe pack because i did want to use a ubec on the car
i used 2 a123 aa cells and made my own pack each cell is 1600mAh so it runs for a long time and the servo's work way better at 6.6 volts

is this the same size of a AA batts? i bought life and it won't fit my savage RX box...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by etivac13
is this the same size of a AA batts? i bought life and it won't fit my savage RX box...
yes they are
Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Where did you buy the cells?

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.