R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-13-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Raytrix
Default Is there competion between a Jp Modify 3 port turbo vs Rb 5 port turbo?

So, I just got off talking to my local hobby shop and i was about to ask them to get me Rb 5 port Turbo, but then it's out of stock. So i was tempted to get the New Jp Modified RS1 Turbo 3 port and the shop owner said that this engine is better and way faster due to the tuning done by Jp, even though it has 2 ports less than the 5 port RB, it's performance match and exceed. Well I post this topic up to ask you Professionals if you can tell me if having more porting really makes's much of a difference compared to a professional modifing a engine with less ports. Which engine would you racers out prefer, the New Jp Modify RS1 Turbo or the Rb X12 5Port Turbo?
Raytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:08 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi

well they're both great engines and you can't really go wrong with either one. But one thing I've learned is that more ports isn't always better. What matters is the size of the ports and etc.
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:13 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar
Default Re: Is there competion between a Jp Modify 3 port turbo vs Rb 5 port turbo?

Quote:
Originally posted by Raytrix
So, I just got off talking to my local hobby shop and i was about to ask them to get me Rb 5 port Turbo, but then it's out of stock. So i was tempted to get the New Jp Modified RS1 Turbo 3 port and the shop owner said that this engine is better and way faster due to the tuning done by Jp, even though it has 2 ports less than the 5 port RB, it's performance match and exceed. Well I post this topic up to ask you Professionals if you can tell me if having more porting really makes's much of a difference compared to a professional modifing a engine with less ports. Which engine would you racers out prefer, the New Jp Modify RS1 Turbo or the Rb X12 5Port Turbo?
I would go with the one with the better price. I would go with a richey mod before i go with a jp, but whichever one is the cheapest is the one i would go with. IMHO i think the performance are about the same.
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:51 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

I agree with you Vin. Depends on what means more to you ? Speed or Price If its speed go with a Ritchey Mod. Its 3 port that will spank both if you ask me.

How much is that RB 5 port going for guys??
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RTU's will out run JP's day in and out. The Jp modified is literally stock on timing, John measured one and confirmed this. They do run better than stock because of some other attributes they have but then again they are cheaper than the RTU. Once you own a Richey you will understand. An RTO is even faster and one customer told me that the Eagle is like bringing a Gun to a Knife fight.

On the other hand the JP 15 and 21 is a different story and this is where the performance gain is significant, IMOH the 12 is being sold on reputation and a well deserved one if you have seen the JP Race 21 run. However My RB C4 Opens can keep up with those too. no sweat.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Thanxs for you input Dennis. Anyways do you think I still have a competition against those stock 5 port Rb turbo with a JP Mod Turbo 3 Port RS1?
Old 03-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Oh one more thing, What would you take, a MS Nova 12 turbo, MT 12 Turbo, or a JP Mod RS1?

Which one do you think is better due to ......(reason)?
Yes i know your RTO,RTU,and Eagle are fast but i just want to know keep it to something that i can handel which is between these 3 engines.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:18 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Jp will have a slight advantage over all of those (in stock form)except the RB 5 port. It should be about equal there.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:11 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

thanxs your the best. By the way do you mod JP engines.