R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Good, now that we all placed our opinions, lets make it count and see how serious we are. Write to the magazines and let them know what you think, afterall, they're the ones who write/test and pushlishes the info and we buy it. Shouldn't they know what it is that we want and hence them improving their sales.

aaahh you say !!!!
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
derek b:

does XRC do long term car tests or no?

everytime i suggest this i dont really get any reply.

We do them, yes. Is the frequency what we want them to be...no.

I've answered that question everytime it's been asked.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #18
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Profoxcg
I like MINI-Z and Micros!!

but i do agree, that I would like to have a mag to focus on onroad and touring GP
eh yhow is your 710 working out!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Thanks for your reply DerekB. I really like XRC but the Monster and buggy thing is getting way out of control. ...... I like
rc car action it's a good mag. But RC Nitro...... I'm done with that mag.
Nitropimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
oh nitro pimp...I think your avatar just hypnotized me.
Can I have the phone number of the chick in your avatar?

It's not your sister, right?

stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Derek,

what I'm missing lately are set-ups articles on popular vehicles (MTX3, hint, hint)

Hop up part tests with performance evaluation before and after.

Full option tuner cars (same car with different hop up packages)

Comparisons between team driver cars against their stock counterpart (lap times)

I know that it's hard for a magazine to put for example a Losi car against a AE car and declare a clear winner, because one of the two companies could be pi$$ed and probably cut back on advertising money, but that would be exactly what I want to read in a magazine, just like in full size car magazines.

And don't get me wrong, XTreme is by far the best mag out there.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #22
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'd like to see, for ONCE, a magazine with an HONEST report on any car. Most, aren't likely to publish an article, on a car or truck, that was (1) given to them, (2) a major purchaser of advertising, and (3)a co-sponsor of events.

When I was flying airplanes, there was a small, newspaper magazine called R/C Reports. They had the cahonas to tell you whether a kit was a piece of sh*t or not, and they grew to be a major regular magazines that everyone knew would tell the truth.

By the way, I renewed my ROAR membership back in Nov. or Dec. and still haven't gotten any issues let alone subscriptions to X R/C.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #23
Tech Master

Look back a year or so and re-read the reports the magazines did on the 705....that should prove my point.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think the test sessions seems to be fine. they tell you if the
car has push or oversteer tendency, they update you on any
thing that broke and if the car they are testing is hard to work
on. As far as not having other Segments of RC on the mag and
just contcentrate on onroad i think that would make it a very
thin magazine. As for race coverage you get a good feel
for the weekend. They don't just tell you who won xrc gives
an idea on who was fast and having problems and they even
give snap shots of whats new in the pits, drivers interview,
they give a detailed drive around the track on some cases.
Keep up the good work.
the one suggestion of hopups that work sounds interesting.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:17 PM   #25
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
I'd like to see, for ONCE, a magazine with an HONEST report on any car. Most, aren't likely to publish an article, on a car or truck, that was (1) given to them, (2) a major purchaser of advertising, and (3)a co-sponsor of events.

When I was flying airplanes, there was a small, newspaper magazine called R/C Reports. They had the cahonas to tell you whether a kit was a piece of sh*t or not, and they grew to be a major regular magazines that everyone knew would tell the truth.

By the way, I renewed my ROAR membership back in Nov. or Dec. and still haven't gotten any issues let alone subscriptions to X R/C.

I really don't get why you think our review isn't honest. Could you expand to tell me why or site a specific example of where we weren't honest? I don't mind talking about honesty or integrity since those are two traits I base my life on. It's all good to say a plane is a pile since ultimately if it flys like crap it crashes. As I've state before it really depends on the point-of-view or reference. As a racer anything that doesn't handle well is a piece of crap...but as a basher, handling doesn't matter as much, or as a first timer you don't care. I'll use my example of my Tamiya Falcon..by race standards a pile, by how much fun I had with it it was still the best car I've owned. I don't think any other car as put a "fun" smile on my face like that car.

So is it fair to say it's a pile of crap even though it was so much fun? And since we have limited space in the magazine why waste space with a car that sucks when there are other cars that are better.

As far as the ROAR deal. First I contact ROAR to make sure your payment is valid since they are handling the subscription. If they cashed your check or took your money as them if they sent the form in. If yes, then the next step is to call our subscription service to see if they received the form. Since we have to wait on ROAR to send in the forms and pay for it, it's slightly out of our control. But I'll help you if you run into walls.

stefan, I'm pretty sure we did a full hook up on the MTX3. BUt I'll look into that for you and see if it is infact time to do something with the car. We also 100% pick a winner in shootouts. What happens sometimes is that since we have multiple drivers they may pick different cars. We are in the works of doing an extensive shoot out that I'm sure everybody will enjoy. Shoot outs are great they are just very labor intesive and until recently something that was difficult to do properly. So I always make sure I can do it right or not at all.

Lastly (for now I'm sure) I don't get the Serpent review reference? What were we supposed to look at?

Lastly, I thank all you that read and even though sometimes it may not seem like it, I do pay attention to the voices of people. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
I really don't get why you think our review isn't honest. Could you expand to tell me why or site a specific example of where we weren't honest? I don't mind talking about honesty or integrity since those are two traits I base my life on. It's all good to say a plane is a pile since ultimately if it flys like crap it crashes. As I've state before it really depends on the point-of-view or reference. As a racer anything that doesn't handle well is a piece of crap...but as a basher, handling doesn't matter as much, or as a first timer you don't care. I'll use my example of my Tamiya Falcon..by race standards a pile, by how much fun I had with it it was still the best car I've owned. I don't think any other car as put a "fun" smile on my face like that car.

So is it fair to say it's a pile of crap even though it was so much fun? And since we have limited space in the magazine why waste space with a car that sucks when there are other cars that are better.

As far as the ROAR deal. First I contact ROAR to make sure your payment is valid since they are handling the subscription. If they cashed your check or took your money as them if they sent the form in. If yes, then the next step is to call our subscription service to see if they received the form. Since we have to wait on ROAR to send in the forms and pay for it, it's slightly out of our control. But I'll help you if you run into walls.

stefan, I'm pretty sure we did a full hook up on the MTX3. BUt I'll look into that for you and see if it is infact time to do something with the car. We also 100% pick a winner in shootouts. What happens sometimes is that since we have multiple drivers they may pick different cars. We are in the works of doing an extensive shoot out that I'm sure everybody will enjoy. Shoot outs are great they are just very labor intesive and until recently something that was difficult to do properly. So I always make sure I can do it right or not at all.

Lastly (for now I'm sure) I don't get the Serpent review reference? What were we supposed to look at?

Lastly, I thank all you that read and even though sometimes it may not seem like it, I do pay attention to the voices of people. Thanks!
Hey there DerekB,
My comments were not specifically directed at any one magazine. I am a casual reader of some magazines and admit that I have not read very many XRC mags. I was just trying to show an example that sometimes you dont really know if the feedback you are getting in a particular article is trully representative of the product. I have found articles, in various mags, seem to miss some details on certain products and end up misinforming the public on it. I am just saying that it would be nice if I could find a magazine that I can count on for the content that I want to see. But I understand that even magazines have to pay bills and go with the largest draw.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Quote:
We do them, yes. Is the frequency what we want them to be...no.

I've answered that question everytime it's been asked.
thanx for the answer.

i just raise this question over again because seems like no magazine has taken a strong support for the idea and actually add specific column for long term tests.

i would much rather support a domestic magazine that has this incorporated in the contents than the popular overseas magazines that i cant read. RCCA is ridiculous IMO and RC Car is only slightly better. i'll have to check your XRC magazine and if it indeed has good reviews i'll subscribe.

seems the general consensus is people want:

honest review (once around the block with a vague positive review, ala RCCA, is not cool)
review on newest products (0RCCA, RC Nitro, and sometimes RC Cars take a long time to get a hold of new products, review it, publish it)
long term test: like what the overseas readers get (my personal wish anyways)
better race coverage
more diverse range of vehicles (not all of us want monster trucks)

I dont think any of us are bashing XRC. We are voicing what we would like to see in a mag. Like I said, I want to check out XRC and what it has to offer. If it is far better than what I've seen from Ofna catalog monthly...err.. I mean RCCA, then i'm definitely interested in gettng it monthly

BTW, RC Nitro covering up their poor excuse for a magazine with models do it for me. If i want hot models, i'll buy a playboy and get all the goods.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
thanx for the answer.

i just raise this question over again because seems like no magazine has taken a strong support for the idea and actually add specific column for long term tests.

i would much rather support a domestic magazine that has this incorporated in the contents than the popular overseas magazines that i cant read. RCCA is ridiculous IMO and RC Car is only slightly better. i'll have to check your XRC magazine and if it indeed has good reviews i'll subscribe.

seems the general consensus is people want:

honest review (once around the block with a vague positive review, ala RCCA, is not cool)
review on newest products (0RCCA, RC Nitro, and sometimes RC Cars take a long time to get a hold of new products, review it, publish it)
long term test: like what the overseas readers get (my personal wish anyways)
better race coverage
more diverse range of vehicles (not all of us want monster trucks)

I dont think any of us are bashing XRC. We are voicing what we would like to see in a mag. Like I said, I want to check out XRC and what it has to offer. If it is far better than what I've seen from Ofna catalog monthly...err.. I mean RCCA, then i'm definitely interested in gettng it monthly

BTW, RC Nitro covering up their poor excuse for a magazine with models do it for me. If i want hot models, i'll buy a playboy and get all the goods.

Please pick up a copy and read a couple of issues. Most of what you "want" has been in print for a long time.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #29
R/C Tech Founder

If you like rctech, you're bound to like XRC...
Old 04-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Yeah Shane, but they got chicks and you don't.

Get chicks on here, NOW