Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber Nitro Touring Car Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Rubber Nitro Touring Car Tires

Foam tires have become the standard in 1/10 scale nitro TC racing. I am curious if any company has ever tried to produce a rubber tire that can withstand the aggressive and abrupt forces nitro cars produce. Rubber tires are used on 1/10 scale electric but are only effective because of the linear torque and linear acceleration produced by electric motors. These types of tires would be shredded by a nitro car no?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Rubber tires never really took off in the states but in Europe they are still being run on a regular basis. They hold up pretty well, where do you think that the tires came from for the electric cars?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brazil have a good and competitive championship in parallel with the normal foam based, wich its rubber based.

Alpha RC (www.alpharc.com.br) produces very high quality rubber tires for 1/10th.

For any info regarding Alpha RC, you can contact me as im sponsored driver for them and help them into new markets,

cya !
Old 02-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Brazil have a good and competitive championship in parallel with the normal foam based, wich its rubber based.

Alpha RC (www.alpharc.com.br) produces very high quality rubber tires for 1/10th.

For any info regarding Alpha RC, you can contact me as im sponsored driver for them and help them into new markets,

cya !
Interesting. How is the traction of these rubber tires? Is it comparable to "foam" tires?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

In the UK we run a National series for Rubber shod 200mm cars. Sorex tyres both pre-mounted and "self assembled" are the norm. Obviously depending on track temperatures but Sorex 30, 32 or 36's are used.
For the 2010 season Schumacher are producing a "control tyre" for the National series the XG-36AF.
Grip levels are not as good as foam but still make for really enjoyable and fast racing. Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-sN...rom=PL&index=9
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Before foams became the norm, rubber tires is what we used to run. Back in the days of the Serpent Impulse, Mugen MTX2 and Yokomo GT4, and MT12. The pros started running foams and the prices began to fall, and little by little everybody switched to them. I still remember running the Yokomo 138g at my track, then we all switched to the Sorexs cause they were cheaper and still very good.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 PM
afm
Tech Master

Best rubber tires for Nitro 200mm cars is made by PMT from Italy. They also make one of the best rubber tires for the Rally Game/GT class. 1/5th class etc.

http://www.pmt-tyres.it/index.php?op...id=7&Itemid=84

AFM
Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in the process of trying out rubber tires... Hopefully it will hold up well with decent grip....

I like racing nitro and hope we can have a rubber class going in the U.S. as a 2nd class.....
Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ive run rubber tires on plenty of 1:10 nitro touring cars.

My serpent impulse came from the factory with a set. My old hpi nrs4 2 always rocked a set of rubber tires.

and Shieet I've run rubber rain tires on 1:8 onroad!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo9000
Ive run rubber tires on plenty of 1:10 nitro touring cars.

My serpent impulse came from the factory with a set. My old hpi nrs4 2 always rocked a set of rubber tires.

and Shieet I've run rubber rain tires on 1:8 onroad!
Turbo,

Most of these guys on this thread have been duped into believing that only foam tires work on 1/10th scale nitro cars. Like you, I have rocked rubber tires on my nitro cars many times over the years. In fact, when I got into nitro racing, my club's parking lot track was on brushed concrete and you had no choice but to roll with rubber. The Proline S3 compounds tires was what most of us used that did not run HPI X-Patterns or Belted Slicks. That was until Take-Off came out with their tires with better inserts than Proline and HPI. You can use all of the current crop of rubber tires on your nitro cars. Just try it every once in a while (experimentation).
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Turbo,

Most of these guys on this thread have been duped into believing that only foam tires work on 1/10th scale nitro cars. Like you, I have rocked rubber tires on my nitro cars many times over the years. In fact, when I got into nitro racing, my club's parking lot track was on brushed concrete and you had no choice but to roll with rubber. The Proline S3 compounds tires was what most of us used that did not run HPI X-Patterns or Belted Slicks. That was until Take-Off came out with their tires with better inserts than Proline and HPI. You can use all of the current crop of rubber tires on your nitro cars. Just try it every once in a while (experimentation).

Those were the days.. Racing at TnT and Indy-RC!

I read the original post and was like

Ive been out of the hobby too long!

Back then i thought'a foams of bein for them pan car carpet racin' fools!

Lately, I find myself wanting to pick up another old impluse to cruise the gravel-laden un-prepped parking lots once again!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by afm
Best rubber tires for Nitro 200mm cars is made by PMT from Italy. They also make one of the best rubber tires for the Rally Game/GT class. 1/5th class etc.

http://www.pmt-tyres.it/index.php?op...id=7&Itemid=84

AFM

Dont say that Alfonso, never tried a set of ALPHA RC ones ? heheheh

cya !

Pato
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Dont say that Alfonso, never tried a set of ALPHA RC ones ? heheheh

cya !

Pato

Hey Pato, yes i did, as a matter of fact several sets, in different sizes, hardness, insert/insertless, etc. etc.....still have some unused ones around.....:

Saludos

AFM
Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think foam tires are one of the worst things that could have happened to the 1/10 class. I don't think the standard for choosing or not choosing tires, engines, or any other accessory should be someone's opinion about which is faster. In the case of foam tires, even if they are a little faster, it doesn't take cost into consideration. In electric touring car competition, the vast majority of events get way more entries in the rubber tire classes than the foam tire classes. Foam tires are on their way to dying in electric racing because you simply need to run a new set of tires for every run. We got foam tires because of the runaway development of rubber tires. At on point in time, there were hundreds of different compounds and perhaps more inserts than tires. Many of the factory teams would have to reserve an extra hotel room to store all the various tires and inserts. So, back then it made sense to run foam. Since then, as a matter of survival, electric touring car racers and organizers have mandated spec tires so there's not as much wear and tear, AND you only need to buy one tire.

Now nitro touring is experiencing the same loss of interest because a typical large scale event requires you bring about 30-40 pair of foam tires. Just going back to rubber tires won't solve the problem - a spec tire is also an important part of the solution. It's nice to see everyone plug their sponsor's tires, or the ones they sell, but I've only seen one brand that has actually addressed an important issue with getting back to rubber tires in the nitro class. 26mm tires are not wide enough to provide enough wear and traction for the rear of a nitro car. Ipanema, as far as I understand, is the only company that offers 30mm wide rubber rear tires for 1/10 touring. The wider tire is less likely to overheat and grain, and it provides extended wear and more traction than the skinny 24-26mm tires that are currently available. Here's a picture of the Ipanema 26mm front and 30mm rear rubber touring car tires.
Attached Thumbnails Rubber Nitro Touring Car Tires-dsc_7815_lr.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The thing is that if 200mm tc start running rubber again, you're going to see the same problem we had before, countless brands releasing countless rubber comounds and countless inserts, this in turn make racing more expensive because of the trial and error of trying different convination of tires and inserts and wheels too, as the wheel has an effect on the whole convination as well. In effect, you have a "tire of the month" battle.

Most foams work the same, some are different, I have tried foams that makes the car feel likes floating on the track, but the rest have been pretty much the same. You can get a set(4 tires) of foams for $18-$25 these days, so the expensive argument to me is mute. You do have to true them, but most tracks have people that will let you borrow a truer. At my track(crystal park raceway) a set of foams will last you 3 qualys. I cant remember the last time I chunked a sedan tire, so I dont think thats a problem.

IMHO Foam tire racing, at least for nitro tc, is less expensive than racing with rubber tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.