Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Rustler 2.5 Slow. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Rustler 2.5 Slow. HELP!!!

I have had my rustler for 3 years and previously was owned by a family friend for 3 years who took excellent care off it. I don't use it heaps but i use it every-now and then. My brother owns one which is 6 years old and his goes like after he ran it in; like a bullet and he uses his almost every day. Mine however is very slow and cant even do a donut. What is wrong with it. It was run in properly. I have cleaned the carbie out and put the needle back to the same place that it has always been. Can someone please help me to get it going good again.

Thank-you
Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

This is actually an onroad forum. But I will take a shot at it. You didn't give much info. There are alot of possibilitys like slipper clutch, or engine clutch slippping. Air filter plugged, Poorly tuned fuel mixture, Engine worn past usefully life, Engine left with fuel inside for long time, engine is full of corrosion. Throttle linkage is improperly set not opening carb to full power. You didn't say if it starts easy and idles normal or if it blows out unburnt fuel or gets really hot. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry, Yeah starts easy and idles good. I have had it tuned by a person who knows a very lot about Rustlers. I always run it until it is empty so that Im not leaving fuel in the engine. How would i tell if the throttle linkage is not workin properly.

Thanx
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Turn on the electronics without starting the truck, and turn on the transmitter. Remove the air filter, and give it full throttle. If the throttle doesn't open fully, adjust your radio settings to allow for full throttle when the trigger is held down. You might have to adjust the throttle linkage so that you have the throttle open 1-1.5mm at idle, and fully open when the trigger is held down. Once everything is adjusted properly, reinstall the air filter and start the truck - if the rest of the truck is in good condition mechanically (no binding, clutch works properly, etc.) it should run properly. If it still runs slowly, check the clutch and slipper clutch assemblies for worn parts.