R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
The thing is that if 200mm tc start running rubber again, you're going to see the same problem we had before, countless brands releasing countless rubber comounds and countless inserts, this in turn make racing more expensive because of the trial and error of trying different convination of tires and inserts and wheels too, as the wheel has an effect on the whole convination as well. In effect, you have a "tire of the month" battle.

Most foams work the same, some are different, I have tried foams that makes the car feel likes floating on the track, but the rest have been pretty much the same. You can get a set(4 tires) of foams for $18-$25 these days, so the expensive argument to me is mute. You do have to true them, but most tracks have people that will let you borrow a truer. At my track(crystal park raceway) a set of foams will last you 3 qualys. I cant remember the last time I chunked a sedan tire, so I dont think thats a problem.

IMHO Foam tire racing, at least for nitro tc, is less expensive than racing with rubber tires.
Hey steve, you want to join us at Huntington Beach to race Nitro Sedan?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
................. It's nice to see everyone plug their sponsor's tires, or the ones they sell, but I've only seen one brand that has actually addressed an important issue with getting back to rubber tires in the nitro class. 26mm tires are not wide enough to provide enough wear and traction for the rear of a nitro car. Ipanema, as far as I understand, is the only company that offers 30mm wide rubber rear tires for 1/10 touring. The wider tire is less likely to overheat and grain, and it provides extended wear and more traction than the skinny 24-26mm tires that are currently available. Here's a picture of the Ipanema 26mm front and 30mm rear rubber touring car tires.
Steve

During our association's 9 years of experience running 200mm nitro cars with rubber tires, in our "only rubber" class here in my country, we tested every brand, model, type of rubber tyre under the sun, and we finally concluded that only two tyres that worked well with nitro cars and their demands, were BSR preccapped rubber tyres, and the other was PMT Rubber tyres, both could sustain 1 hour finals without any trouble....but then we addressed the cost issue, and we finally stayed with PMT tyres as a closed spec tyre class....those tyres are til now the only thing i've seen that works with todays cars and engines.

During that process we did test 30mm rear rubber tyres made in Brasil by Alpha RC about 3 years ago, and it didn't make major diffrence. I think they still manufacture them, so Ipanema isn't the only one offering them, but they worked well over short racing heats...once warm...no good

What we found is that nitro rubber tyres manufactured with shore rating hardness, just like foams, work much better than those manufactured as temperature rated type, also that they work better when they are very low profile, so 26mm tyres work fine if they meet those criteria.

Just my 2 cents experience

BTW.....i don't sell or get any sponsorship from PMT, and I currently run the worst of them all foam class...

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Nitrodude - I think you missed the entire point of my post. The range of rubber tires and compounds and inserts don't exist anymore even in the electric classes because they had the common sense to narrow it down to pre-mounted tires of a specific compound. Nitro touring needs to do the same, and then all the negatives of rubber tires go out the window. Racers can be their own worst enemies sometimes. "Fastest" can't always be the overwhelming justification for allowing new development in the class. The flaw in that logic is that the "fastest" stuff is available to everyone, so you're all going faster and spending more money to do it. If that were the case in auto racing, there would only be F1 cars and 4x4 trophy trucks.

Going back to rubber tires would be one of the best things that can happen to 1/10 sedan. If you really want the fastest and have an unlimited budget, then just buy a 1/8 car and be done with it. Or is there too much talent in that class?
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Nitrodude - I think you missed the entire point of my post. The range of rubber tires and compounds and inserts don't exist anymore even in the electric classes because they had the common sense to narrow it down to pre-mounted tires of a specific compound. Nitro touring needs to do the same, and then all the negatives of rubber tires go out the window. Racers can be their own worst enemies sometimes. "Fastest" can't always be the overwhelming justification for allowing new development in the class. The flaw in that logic is that the "fastest" stuff is available to everyone, so you're all going faster and spending more money to do it. If that were the case in auto racing, there would only be F1 cars and 4x4 trophy trucks.

Going back to rubber tires would be one of the best things that can happen to 1/10 sedan. If you really want the fastest and have an unlimited budget, then just buy a 1/8 car and be done with it. Or is there too much talent in that class?

I'm all for Rubber tyre racing but just as a separate class so nitro can have a grass roots class....

One thing you haven't considered with rubber tire racing.. It is fastest in its first 2 runs, at least for asphalt.... So money will be more of a factor if it was the only option.

Foams definately is here to stay but IMO rubber tires would be a nice alternative class for some people.