R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #106
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff whiting View Post
I like this guys passion. We need the Milk Man to get involved. Come on man....make something happen.
Ya, Milk Man, Milk Man, Milk Man.

Still wondering about the "RC Investors". Who are they? Oh ya, who is the Milk Man???
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Crystal Park

Its a shame that this "so called" take over of Crystal Park needs to be such a secret.
Many guys are dumping their 1/10th scale and 1/8th scale cars right and left because there has been so many truths and rumors that did not come to fuition.
Seems like if their is a likeyhood that Crystal Park could reopen, that the new owners or management would try and settle every ones concerns and either say its possible or its not going to happen at all.
Everyone knows when you sell used RC equipment, you are lucky to get bewteen 1/4 and 1/2 of what you pay for it new.
How many people are going to want to sell their cars, engines, tools,starter boxes, radios and hauler bags for a fraction of what they pay for them, and then want to buy new equipment a couple of months later when they propbably would have kept everything if there was some kind of hope that their local track would re-open.
Either give the local drivers some hope,<if there is any> or just stop the "secret investors" rumor.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

there is supposed to be new management but I hear it would be re-opened in up to 6 months...at this point all I am doing is hoping...I am not an on-road guy but crystal was and still is my home track heck I live like 4 minutes away
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Default CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroLuver View Post
there is supposed to be new management but I hear it would be re-opened in up to 6 months...at this point all I am doing is hoping...I am not an on-road guy but crystal was and still is my home track heck I live like 4 minutes away
They dont realize it, but they are only hurting themselves by going about it the way they are.
I can easily name 5 to 8 maybe 10 guys that have already dumped their onroad equipment, and will not buy new for double of what they sold the perfectly good equipment for.
The onroad market is flooded with cars and equipment, so who do you think is going to make out the best on their sale. Someone who sales now while there might be a buyer, or someone who waits until the last minute when there are so many cars on the market you can pretty much name your buying price.
Drivers are dumping their equipment now because they feel like either its not going to happen, and they will change to electric on road where they dont need starter boxes, foam tires, $600.00 engines and such.
What ever they want to do I guess, but in the end, they are the ones that will be hurt financially with smaller onroad group.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #110
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
Its a shame that this "so called" take over of Crystal Park needs to be such a secret.
Many guys are dumping their 1/10th scale and 1/8th scale cars right and left because there has been so many truths and rumors that did not come to fuition.
Seems like if their is a likeyhood that Crystal Park could reopen, that the new owners or management would try and settle every ones concerns and either say its possible or its not going to happen at all.
Everyone knows when you sell used RC equipment, you are lucky to get bewteen 1/4 and 1/2 of what you pay for it new.
How many people are going to want to sell their cars, engines, tools,starter boxes, radios and hauler bags for a fraction of what they pay for them, and then want to buy new equipment a couple of months later when they propbably would have kept everything if there was some kind of hope that their local track would re-open.
Either give the local drivers some hope,<if there is any> or just stop the "secret investors" rumor.
Quote:
They dont realize it, but they are only hurting themselves by going about it the way they are.
I can easily name 5 to 8 maybe 10 guys that have already dumped their onroad equipment, and will not buy new for double of what they sold the perfectly good equipment for.
The onroad market is flooded with cars and equipment, so who do you think is going to make out the best on their sale. Someone who sales now while there might be a buyer, or someone who waits until the last minute when there are so many cars on the market you can pretty much name your buying price.
Drivers are dumping their equipment now because they feel like either its not going to happen, and they will change to electric on road where they dont need starter boxes, foam tires, $600.00 engines and such.
What ever they want to do I guess, but in the end, they are the ones that will be hurt financially with smaller onroad group.
Bill, why would anyone want to dump their stuff while there is still GLARC? If CP was the only place for nitro onroad, then its closing would start the big dump. However all hope for nitro onroad is not lost. At least not yet.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Default Crystal Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Bill, why would anyone want to dump their stuff while there is still GLARC? If CP was the only place for nitro onroad, then its closing would start the big dump. However all hope for nitro onroad is not lost. At least not yet.
I think you can answer that yourself Roger.
How much has the attendence gone down sesne CP started to loose interest themselves to where when the guys would show up, the track was dirty or not even dusted off. Even when we had Crystal Park and GLARCRC the attendence started to drop. How many of those guys said screw it, started to sell their equipment, or changed to electric. How many times did we arrive at the track for a club race and they could not even hold a race because there were not enough drivers. So even when Crystal Park was open, many of the guys were giving up. The ones that changed to electric found out that they could race day or night, even in bad wheather. You know as well as I do, that many of them have left the hobby, sold their equipment, or changed to electric. Yeah, the closing of one track<when there is only two tracks to begin with> has a huge impact on the amount of people either selling their cars and items, or moving to another rc venue.So you would have to think, with nitro on-road being such small community in RC as it is, new owners or management would want to hold on to as many of them as possible before they also gave up and sold their things. I really have no interest in changing to electric, as I have way to much invested in nitro, but I have thought about it very much so. This thought of changing has nothing to do with GLARCRC, as I always enjoy the events they hold, and I am fully aware of the hard work they go through to hold their races. But they are allowed to hold races only twice a month. People want to race and enjoy the competition. Some of them want to race more then every other weekend, which means electric, or if they dont want to run electric, they sell their equipment. I could go on and on, but I think you have to agree, this is sadly all fact, and just not bulls----
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I live in West LA and CP is the only track that I've ever become a member. I'm still hopeful it will re-open.. otherwise I don't know where I will run my nitro cars. I know there is GLARCRC but its not a permanent track and I am not free all weekends..
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #113
Tech Champion

Quote:
I think you can answer that yourself Roger.
How much has the attendence gone down sesne CP started to loose interest themselves to where when the guys would show up, the track was dirty or not even dusted off. Even when we had Crystal Park and GLARCRC the attendence started to drop. How many of those guys said screw it, started to sell their equipment, or changed to electric. How many times did we arrive at the track for a club race and they could not even hold a race because there were not enough drivers. So even when Crystal Park was open, many of the guys were giving up. The ones that changed to electric found out that they could race day or night, even in bad wheather. You know as well as I do, that many of them have left the hobby, sold their equipment, or changed to electric. Yeah, the closing of one track<when there is only two tracks to begin with> has a huge impact on the amount of people either selling their cars and items, or moving to another rc venue.So you would have to think, with nitro on-road being such small community in RC as it is, new owners or management would want to hold on to as many of them as possible before they also gave up and sold their things. I really have no interest in changing to electric, as I have way to much invested in nitro, but I have thought about it very much so. This thought of changing has nothing to do with GLARCRC, as I always enjoy the events they hold, and I am fully aware of the hard work they go through to hold their races. But they are allowed to hold races only twice a month. People want to race and enjoy the competition. Some of them want to race more then every other weekend, which means electric, or if they dont want to run electric, they sell their equipment. I could go on and on, but I think you have to agree, this is sadly all fact, and just not bulls----
Bill, regardless of CP or whatever, onroad racing attendence is down all across the board including electric. When was the last time you saw someone who is able to compete with an entry level onroad setup at any onroad club event?

The problem has nothing to do with the tracks. Its is the cost of what it takes to be fast and competitive. Gone are the days where $300 buys you into the game. Nowadays not even $500 will get you in and thats for both nitro and electric onroad TC.

If you look at WCRC, it is offroad short course that is bringing home the bacon. There, you can buy in for only $300 or less and be competitive and have a good time. The onroad racing on Saturday had to move to the early afternoon so that they can have offroad racing the following evening to pay for the electricity bill. The truth is, onroad racing is being carried on the backs of offroad racers. We are riding on their shirt tails because thats where the lionshare of the RC market is!

I myself don't like offroad that much at all. However, if there is a track owner willing to offer an onroad venue, he would have to offer offroad as well in order to break even or come out in the black. Thats what Danny is doing right now. And thats why Revelation chose offroad over onroad because offroad is where the money is.

Until something can be done where people can run in a "box stock" spec class, this hobby (onroad RC racing) won't have much chance to survive. BTW, if the economy is as bad as it is, who has the money to buy $1000 Serpent, Mugen, Motonica, Shephard, etc, etc setups to run in weekend races?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Default Crystal Park

Quote:
Bill, regardless of CP or whatever, onroad racing attendence is down all across the board including electric. When was the last time you saw someone who is able to compete with an entry level onroad setup at any onroad club event?

The problem has nothing to do with the tracks. Its is the cost of what it takes to be fast and competitive. Gone are the days where $300 buys you into the game. Nowadays not even $500 will get you in and thats for both nitro and electric onroad TC.

If you look at WCRC, it is offroad short course that is bringing home the bacon. There, you can buy in for only $300 or less and be competitive and have a good time. The onroad racing on Saturday had to move to the early afternoon so that they can have offroad racing the following evening to pay for the electricity bill. The truth is, onroad racing is being carried on the backs of offroad racers. We are riding on their shirt tails because thats where the lionshare of the RC market is!

I myself don't like offroad that much at all. However, if there is a track owner willing to offer an onroad venue, he would have to offer offroad as well in order to break even or come out in the black. Thats what Danny is doing right now. And thats why Revelation chose offroad over onroad because offroad is where the money is.

Until something can be done where people can run in a "box stock" spec class, this hobby (onroad RC racing) won't have much chance to survive. BTW, if the economy is as bad as it is, who has the money to buy $1000 Serpent, Mugen, Motonica, Shephard, etc, etc setups to run in weekend races?
Thats my point Roger. With all of the costly kit, engines and such, why would anyone want to hang on to these items when there is one track, that races twice a month. If the on-road racers had some hope that another track could open, or even re-open, they might hang on to their equpiment.
You just answered your own question. The cost, the lack of ability to race every weekend, the minimal cost to run off-road compared to nitro on-road. Poeple are not going to hang on to these expensive cars without a place to run them. They are selling them off right and left. So if CP does have any hope of re-opening, they should let every one know so they will not sell their items for 1/2 of what they pay for them, and then turn around 6 months later and pay full price for new equipment just to start all over again.They are either selling their items and getting out of the hobby, or buying electric, either off-road or on-road. But they wont let these high dollar investments just sit on a bench in the garage. I dont have any desire to run off-road at all, and not sure about electric on-road, but I surely understand why every one is selling their nitro on-road.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #115
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thats my point Roger. With all of the costly kit, engines and such, why would anyone want to hang on to these items when there is one track, that races twice a month. If the on-road racers had some hope that another track could open, or even re-open, they might hang on to their equpiment.
You just answered your own question. The cost, the lack of ability to race every weekend, the minimal cost to run off-road compared to nitro on-road. Poeple are not going to hang on to these expensive cars without a place to run them. They are selling them off right and left. So if CP does have any hope of re-opening, they should let every one know so they will not sell their items for 1/2 of what they pay for them, and then turn around 6 months later and pay full price for new equipment just to start all over again.They are either selling their items and getting out of the hobby, or buying electric, either off-road or on-road. But they wont let these high dollar investments just sit on a bench in the garage. I dont have any desire to run off-road at all, and not sure about electric on-road, but I surely understand why every one is selling their nitro on-road.
Bill, that is not my point. Onroad, nitro or electric is dying! You can run go an run electric onroad every week at West Coast and I can tell you that segment of RC is also dying a slow death. For the same $1000 it would take for me to buy into 1/8th nitro, it would be what I have to spend to buy into 1/10th electric. (some value, eh?) Thats how expensive 1/10th electric TC has gotten. So enough of that.

Remember the Kevin Costner movie? "If you build it they will come"? Its because of the high cost of onroad that is causing the low turnout. Hence the NON-profitability prospect that faces any potential onroad track owner. Its not about, "something has to be done about the tracks", it should be more about "something should be done about this hobby".

If and when something is done such that people come back to onroad to the point where you start getting large turnouts at the parking lot venues, thats when someone will see the profitability of running a permanent onroad track again.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #116
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Really not trying to hurt anyones feelings but you to need to stop arguing with each other its getting you guys no were and if anything will just end up hurting the HOBBY more then help it.. you guys sound like kids
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #117
Tech Elite

Default Crystal Park

Quote:
Bill, that is not my point. Onroad, nitro or electric is dying! You can run go an run electric onroad every week at West Coast and I can tell you that segment of RC is also dying a slow death. For the same $1000 it would take for me to buy into 1/8th nitro, it would be what I have to spend to buy into 1/10th electric. (some value, eh?) Thats how expensive 1/10th electric TC has gotten. So enough of that.

Remember the Kevin Costner movie? "If you build it they will come"? Its because of the high cost of onroad that is causing the low turnout. Hence the NON-profitability prospect that faces any potential onroad track owner. Its not about, "something has to be done about the tracks", it should be more about "something should be done about this hobby".

If and when something is done such that people come back to onroad to the point where you start getting large turnouts at the parking lot venues, thats when someone will see the profitability of running a permanent onroad track again.
I give up. Everytime you come back with another response, you validify my remarks.
If on-road is dying as we all know it is, then why would anyone want o keep their equipment. If on-road is dying and they still want to run on-road every week, what is their choice, Electric!. If there is a chance Crystal Park could re open, then they should put it out in the open so the people that have nitro-on-road equipement now "may" think about hold off selling everything for a loss, as I doubt if they are going to buy new in 6 months again.
This so called New managemnt can not expect people to hold on to expensive equipment, if there is not a chance that they could use it again
This is going no where, I'm done
Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Roger, this hobby is as expensive as you want it to be!

As for being competitive, You just need a decent motor in Nitro and a Decent speed control for Electric....
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Sent James a text this AM.. no response..
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #120
Tech Rookie

I'm remaining hopeful. If Crystal Park does close, I want to thank James and everyone involved with the track. A lot of fond memories and a lot of great races hosted by this track.

Might have to indulge into the electric SC truck world with the rest of culprits but, I still won't sell my Nitro. Going to give GLARC a try next month and see how that goes.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote