Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

MUGEN SEIKI MRX5

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Lord

These 19x12 bearings are not made for such forces. With the introduction of the Serpent Excel we have seen many failing bearings and some years ago you could buy sets to change the 21x12 bearing with an 19x12 and a small adapter because they should spin with less resistance. At the end many drivers did switch back.

If the current adapter has a diameter of 21mm you could go with the bigger bearing but you will loose yhe option to change wheelbase and/or ride height.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
These 19x12 bearings are not made for such forces. With the introduction of the Serpent Excel we have seen many failing bearings and some years ago you could buy sets to change the 21x12 bearing with an 19x12 and a small adapter because they should spin with less resistance. At the end many drivers did switch back.

If the current adapter has a diameter of 21mm you could go with the bigger bearing but you will loose yhe option to change wheelbase and/or ride height.
Huh? The bearing size is a 18mm X 12mm. There are no adaptors in the up rites. This was done to lose a large amount of unsprung weight. Yes some reliability was sacrificed to enhance handling and lower lap times. Are you buying a race car or a parking lot hero?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minibonna
Hmm. Bearings are Mugen, and track is not that dirty. No trouble with the other bearings on the car.
Like Roelof said above, the bearings on the front and rear hubs don't last that long because of the load and they are smaller in size (12x18x4mm) than they used to be in previous models.

Years ago, the manufactures used bigger bearings (12x21x5mm) on the hubs and they lasted forever but now they use the same size that you find in 1/10th cars to save weight and be able to adjust the axle height on some models of cars.

You need to change the bearings in the hubs every few months on the MRX5 or depending on the amount of racing you do. I just buy the $1 bearings and change when they get notcy.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Lord

Oeps, my bad, whats the difference 18 or 19mm
And I realy thought the 5 was using inserts like Shepherd and Xray. I do know people are using MRX4 uprights or even Shepherd uprights and I do know one Shepherd driver who has taken out the inserts and placed 21x12 bearings.

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
Huh? The bearing size is a 18mm X 12mm. There are no adaptors in the up rites. This was done to lose a large amount of unsprung weight. Yes some reliability was sacrificed to enhance handling and lower lap times. Are you buying a race car or a parking lot hero?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

Default Set-up for slow-speed corners

Hi there,

could you please help me with a MRX-5 set-up question?
From time to time I have the situation that the car really slows itself down when attacking tight corners like hairpins. I don't need to brake, but just turn in, the car decelerates a bit and then aggresively enters the turn.
On other occations, it will just push and miss the apex by a mile. Need to adjust my driving, come off the throttle earlier or brake a lot.
I have not found out what to do to achieve this at will. I like this very much because it really saves time and frees up the brain a bit if there is no need for braking...
Any ideas?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Hi there,

From time to time I have the situation that the car really slows itself down when attacking tight corners like hairpins. I don't need to brake, but just turn in, the car decelerates a bit and then aggresively enters the turn.
On other occations, it will just push and miss the apex by a mile. Need to adjust my driving, come off the throttle earlier or brake a lot.
I have not found out what to do to achieve this at will. I like this very much because it really saves time and frees up the brain a bit if there is no need for braking...
Any ideas?
Sounds strange. Are the front tyres rubbing on the body when you turn? It can happen when they are big then stop when they wear down.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Hi there,

Any ideas?
How tight do you have the servo saver spring adjusted? If your running the Ackerman adjusted all the way forward did you remove material as per the manual from both of the steering links inner ball links?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the follow-up guys!

Tyres are not rubbing, ball cups dont touch the pulley and servo saver is strong.
To clarify: I want to create the effect that the steering (at full lock) slows the car down and allows to enter hairpins aggressively (instead of just understeering)...
Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Drag brake? Lots of drag brake...
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks alot for the answers about the bearings, but i still find it very strange that its only the bearings for the front wheels who wear out that fast. Had the same problem last year.
Anybody who know of hi quality bearings that will last longer than the Mugen bearings?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

You could switch to a ceramic. Are you taking the Shields out and cleaning and lubing them?
I use steel bearings from avid rc. There a dollar each. I throw allot of bearings away, lol.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by minibonna
Thanks alot for the answers about the bearings, but i still find it very strange that its only the bearings for the front wheels who wear out that fast. Had the same problem last year.
Anybody who know of hi quality bearings that will last longer than the Mugen bearings?
The Mugen bearings are fine, but they or any other bearing that size will not last long under constant impact. You can try bearings from HPI, Team Associated, or Bocca bearings. Under normal use, they will get smoother over time.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

I use the ceramic orange seal bearings from boca and I haven't got any problem
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default MRX5WC

just wanna ask u guys running the WC kit,do you guys use all of the option parts included in the kit?how is the car with the option parts?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default MUGEN MRX5 WCE

Built this for a friend/customer he has a couple of 1/8th electric cars but was looking for a one of a kind so i took a couple of ideas from other brands & put this together for him all I can tell u this thing is fast and sick will try to get a video of it when we test at the track
Attached Thumbnails MUGEN SEIKI MRX5-mugen-mrx5-wc-e.jpg   MUGEN SEIKI MRX5-mugen-mrx5-wce-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.