R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-13-2002, 03:33 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

BallPy --

I don't think Art was saying that he gets the ZAC Project foams for $14 a pair. I think he was saying he could get the Mugen Fast Tires (foam) for that price.

The ZAC foams run about $20 a pair for the 26mm size and around $23 or so for the 32mm size. I've only used the 26mm size so I may be a little off on the price of the 32mm.

The reason why the ZAC foams are more expensive is because it's a multiring design vs the other foams (Jaco, Tredz and Mugen) which tend to be single piece. The advantages of a multiring design is that it offers (at least in theory) better grip and better life. Whether or not this is actually noticable on the track is anyone's guess.

I've only used the ZAC foams so I cannot comment on whether or not they're better. I will say that the rims are very strong and the hubs are very sturdy. That being said, all the factory sponsored guys at our local track run the Treadz stuff and they still win, so I don't think the advantages of the multiring design is as pronounced as some would believe.

Based on what I've heard from some factory racers, ROAR has changed the foam width maximum on nitro sedan from the printed 32mm to 26mm. I have yet to see this in print anywhere, so I can neither confirm nor deny this change. The ROAR rules book that I just received still says 32mm foam maximum.

I'm sure we'll hear something soon (hopefully).

DT
Dennis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

dennis, i disagree with some of what you are saying with regard to the multirings. The mulitring will offer better forward traction as the rings do not allow for deformation of the foam under acceleration. And the do offer increased wear. However, they do not offer increased side bite becuase the tires do not form and flex with the pavement.

also the foam width was supposed to be 26mm to begin with. but someone made a mistake in the translation from mm ti inches and it ended up as 32mm which they will allowed (as far as roar as told me) at the nationals this year. i have not heard of plans to change it.
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:48 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

To: Vindollar I believe the word is chunking not chucking!
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:01 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I don't think think the CRC tires are the Jacco compound, and I have never seen Jacco in a 30mm or 35mm, I guess Frank Calandra could glue 2 together and cut them down, if he does that I guess proline would probably just give him the foam, but what do I know. Like I stated we ran Jacos all last season and we only chunked 2 rear tires, and I also think your not suppose to hit the pipes or boards to chunk them in the first place. If your chunking the Jacos quite a bit, maybe go back to rubber tires and when you hit another car or the boards you won't have to worry about the chunking problem. also I have never split, cracked or stripped a proline so called cheap wheel yet. I guess you could strip the hex out of the wheels if you did'nt tighten them up.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 07:32 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
I don't think think the CRC tires are the Jacco compound, and I have never seen Jacco in a 30mm or 35mm, I guess Frank Calandra could glue 2 together and cut them down, if he does that I guess proline would probably just give him the foam, but what do I know. Like I stated we ran Jacos all last season and we only chunked 2 rear tires, and I also think your not suppose to hit the pipes or boards to chunk them in the first place. If your chunking the Jacos quite a bit, maybe go back to rubber tires and when you hit another car or the boards you won't have to worry about the chunking problem. also I have never split, cracked or stripped a proline so called cheap wheel yet. I guess you could strip the hex out of the wheels if you did'nt tighten them up.
The jaco are flimsy and cheapish made. Maybe we get the east coast version or something because i'm not the only one this happens too. I like the jaco compound but the rims leave a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe your conering speeds are not as blistering as mines. I corner so fast the corner becomes straights.
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Talk is cheap here I see! I never said Jaco was the best foam tire all I stated was they hook up for me and I don't have all the trouble you guys speak of. Have you guys ever tried TRC foams? I think the compound is better than jaco but I do have the wheel problem you guys speak of with them. Maybe if we hook this race up when the weather gets alittle warmer you can tag along with Mr. MTX I would like to see how you just straighten those corners out. I like to mouth just like the rest of you guys so don't take to serious! Remember its all in the name of fun!!!!!! BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:09 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

raffaelli --

You're right, I should've qualified the term "grip" better as you did. I didn't mean to suggest that they (multiring foams) had better grip overall, just better forward bite.

As far as the ROAR rules, it's funny that they list the maximum tire (foam) width at 1.26" (which equates to 32mm), yet the maximum wheel (rim) width at 1.19" (which roughly equals 30mm).

So, that could lead to some interesting looking tires. Regardless, I'm sure the host track will get this rule sorted out before the Nats. As I posted earlier, I won't assume anything until I see it in print.

DT
Dennis Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 10:14 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
Talk is cheap here I see! I never said Jaco was the best foam tire all I stated was they hook up for me and I don't have all the trouble you guys speak of. Have you guys ever tried TRC foams? I think the compound is better than jaco but I do have the wheel problem you guys speak of with them. Maybe if we hook this race up when the weather gets alittle warmer you can tag along with Mr. MTX I would like to see how you just straighten those corners out. I like to mouth just like the rest of you guys so don't take to serious! Remember its all in the name of fun!!!!!! BB
Yeah it's all in fun. I would love to hook up in the spring to run on some new tracks. Just not on jaco's
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:54 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by BallPy
ZAC I have never heard of those. It only cost you $14 for them? That is a good price. Are the 32mm legal in a roar race.
OOPS let me clarify, The Mugen Fast tires I can get them for $14 a set ($8 for the rears and $6 for the fronts). The Kawahara Multirings I get at our Local Hobby Shop (CASTLE HOBBIES in San Jose, CA) for $19.99 front and $21.99 rear. I'm trying to find a place in HK where I can get them lower, but the Mugen Fast tire seems like a good deal. I kind of like the Japanese foams alot for some reason.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 09:02 AM   #25
Tech Addict

I just ordered one of the new Collari .12's from Castle yesterday. Seems like the guys there now there stuff. That is one of the hardest things around here is to find someone at a hobby shop that knows anything.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:47 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by BallPy
I just ordered one of the new Collari .12's from Castle yesterday. Seems like the guys there now there stuff. That is one of the hardest things around here is to find someone at a hobby shop that knows anything.
CASTLE is a great place to shop. The people there are on the ball, and the owner of the shop (Eric Vasutin) is a really cool guy who is willing to help you out with any questions you may have. Not only that, he was once 1/5th scale champ.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 05:00 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: calandra jaco's

Quote:
Originally posted by VinDollar

The jaco 1/10 foam rims are very delicate also. Which put them in the p.o.s. status. The inside hex is very easily stripped for some odd reason. The traction of a new set before these variables show their ugly head is very good to me. I wish jaco fix the apparent complaints from the consumer and they would have the ultimate foam tire.
I have to say that I too have had these same problems.It all started when they switched from the "warlock" rim.A year or so ago a few of us on HPI's forum emailed Proline about the problems but I can't recall any of them even getting a response(including me) I ran prolines last season again but was frustrated with several that either went out of round or stripped the hex out.I did have some luck by putting a small washer between the rim and the wheel nut(I used slim wheel nuts) It really was a heartbreaker to throw away a good rim/tire because of a stripped hex Like the compound....hate the rims
blimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:46 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

There are some incorrect statements on the sedan tire rules for ROAR. The rule is still for 32mm and has not been changed and all indicators from ROAR right now show that it will not be soon. I do have a funny feeling that this may change at the last second before the fuel nats but we'll wait and see on that one. And yes I know there is a discrepancy in the tire width/wheel width in the ROAR rulebook and ROAR knows it too and have said 32mm are ok.

How do I know all this? Because I am the one who raised it in the ROAR conference on the Starting Grid last year. I also had detailed discussion with Mike Queller (VP of ROAR) online and in person regarding this rule and a few others that were wishy-washy. The bottom line is that 32mm are currently ROAR legal as long as your car width does not exceed the 200mm rule and fits in the tech box.

Racers in general should also check with their local track operators ahead of time to see if they have a problem with running the wider tires. Just because it's a ROAR rule doesn't mean all ROAR tracks follow it.

The IFMAR rule is 26mm and will likely not change any time soon. This will only pertain to you if you are going to attend the Worlds in Ohio in September.

I'm not intending to stir it up here, just make sure y'all have the right facts. I have spent a ton of personal time on this topic already and got my info straight from the source. I wish my car was as fast as the rumors I hear on the net

late,

fraz
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 06:16 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Thanks fraz. I to talked to some people after I first put this post up and found out that you can use 32mm tires but the rims have to be 30mm. Is that true? If it isnt what benefit is there from a 32mm over a 30mm or even a 28mm on the track in that they will be running the nats. From what I understand the track is huge, it has a 250ft straight and the corners arent to tight.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:19 AM   #30
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by adelmundo

OOPS let me clarify, The Mugen Fast tires I can get them for $14 a set ($8 for the rears and $6 for the fronts). The Kawahara Multirings I get at our Local Hobby Shop (CASTLE HOBBIES in San Jose, CA) for $19.99 front and $21.99 rear. I'm trying to find a place in HK where I can get them lower, but the Mugen Fast tire seems like a good deal. I kind of like the Japanese foams alot for some reason.
FAST, ELLEGI, POWERS etc are all made by GRP Gandini.....don't know about the kawas though!

http://www.grpgandini.com/
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote