R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation having trouble starting up new rc

BTW im new to this...hey guys just bought on saturday a HPI RS4 evo 3 +, so i charged the dyna-glow over night, i charged the battery for the roto start at the right amp for the correct amount of time, i filled the tank i primed it , so i was ready to go mounted the glow thing, put in the roto start but it wont start, sometimes the shaft of the roto start locks so i stop immediately, i try again nothing, so i take off the glow plug do the roto starter to see if its flooded a lil fuel came out but it doesnt locks i noticed, when i put back everything back on normal and i try to start it locks up again so now im just upset with this thing.... any help would be great... i bought the car at xtreme hobby shop i just dont wanna drive there again if its an easy fix or something stupid, i live in east meadow so...u know... thank u
civic_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default easy fix

when you buy a new motor/car usually the motor is really tight . all you have to do is buy a heat gun or on smaller engines use a hair dryer and try to get the engine up to normal operating temps and then try to fire it up it should fire right up .

hope this helps

thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod_fan_101 View Post
when you buy a new motor/car usually the motor is really tight . all you have to do is buy a heat gun or on smaller engines use a hair dryer and try to get the engine up to normal operating temps and then try to fire it up it should fire right up .

hope this helps

thanks
heyyy thanks for ur input thats one more thing in my checklist for tomorrow morning really appreciate it...
civic_hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Make sure your glow plug is good. Take it out of the engine, attach it to the glow igniter and see if it glows. Careful though, it's going to get hot.

Check out the "Nitro Engine Basics with Ali Mansoor" videos on my YouTube Channel (link in my signature). Lots of helpful tips on starting, tuning and troublehshooting.

Good luck!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_hatch View Post
BTW im new to this...hey guys just bought on saturday a HPI RS4 evo 3 +, so i charged the dyna-glow over night, i charged the battery for the roto start at the right amp for the correct amount of time, i filled the tank i primed it , so i was ready to go mounted the glow thing, put in the roto start but it wont start, sometimes the shaft of the roto start locks so i stop immediately, i try again nothing, so i take off the glow plug do the roto starter to see if its flooded a lil fuel came out but it doesnt locks i noticed, when i put back everything back on normal and i try to start it locks up again so now im just upset with this thing.... any help would be great... i bought the car at xtreme hobby shop i just dont wanna drive there again if its an easy fix or something stupid, i live in east meadow so...u know... thank u
Ok ....since this is a new car/new engine the pinch on pistion sleeve is probably very tight...add to the fact that is is winter (cold) that will make for tough starting. A few things you can try.

1) If you live in a house w/a garage, bring you mom's, your sister's, or even your hairdryer out to the garage. Warm up the engine for a 3-5 minutes, then try and start her up.

2) If that's not a option, then loosen the glow plug from the engine top. Just enought that its not screwed in air tight but enought that it stays seated when you put teh glow-charger on it. it will still start this way. Just let it run a few seconds, then tight it back once started.

3) Check to make sure the glowplug it self is in good condition. take it out of engine and connect it to glow charger...it should glow nice and bright orange.

4) Try leaning out High Speed needle a quarter turn then try and start. repeat several times up to a full turn. If you have to go past that, your settings for breakin were wrong to begin with or you have other problems yet unknown.

If all else fails read the Break-in Bible and the Tunning Bible....actually you should do that anyways.

Good luck
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Deleted...
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote