R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Where Has Nitro On-Road Gone?

So that is exactly my question is where has nitro onroad gone? I used to run onroad back in the day and had a blast, but it died out in our area and now nitro off road is popular(which I run now). There are way more parking lots available than dirt tracks to set up a course and race these days. So why is onroad not as popular these days? One observation I had the other day was I opened a R/C magazine from a few years ago and noticed that there was alot of onroad content, now in the magazines I mostly see offroad and rockcrawling content.
Jeff Pfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Plenty of onroad action where I am at.

You have to realize that manufacturers promote what they think will make them the most money. The RC magazines are nothing more than a book of advertisements and the articles are nothing more than infomercials to support the ads.

The reason why offroad or crawling is promoted is because you don't need to race in order to purchase these products. Anyone can offroad anywhere in their backyard, an empty dirt lot or on a camping trip. So there's lots of versatility to promoting offroad RC products. Manufacturers don't want to be limited by the product's uses (like onroad requiring the avalability of tracks) in order to get product out the door and sold in large numbers.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Damn YR4Dude....you only beat me to this post because i got stuck in traffic......lol......but +1 to what he said Jeff.

Let's not forget that the tourning racing got too competetive and there fore too expensive for many. Don't get me wrong, you can still get a the inexpensive touring chassis and have a ball with it but those are ususally looked upon as beginners cars or only good for bashing.

Also the decline of the local hobby shops. Sure there are a few shops here and there, but lets face it the internet has put most of them out of business or change the way they do business (as far as inventory) The poor economy doesn't help much, right now, either. These were the guys hosting most of the parking lot races that you spoke.

But fear not.....you are not the only one pondering this questions. The vintage class and GT class is making its comeback as we recover form the recession we had. It should help restart the cycle and hopefully bring it back to, or close to the way it was around late 90's and early 2000's

The Kyosho Fazor, The HPI RS4 Evo, are just two fo the chassis tha will help bring back the fun of the good old days.

Last edited by Kyo83; 01-28-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Very strong in Florida all types of racing going on
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Those are all good reasons and I agree with them. I find it takes more setup knowledge to make an onroad car drive well. So a beginner without alot of help from experienced racers will quickly sell his car and give it up completly or go offfroad. I bet if you asked around most onroaders started off in the dirt and saw the speed and cornering as something they had to try. When the current offroad craze slows down alot of those guys will come over to onroad.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
Those are all good reasons and I agree with them. I find it takes more setup knowledge to make an onroad car drive well. So a beginner without alot of help from experienced racers will quickly sell his car and give it up completly or go offfroad. I bet if you asked around most onroaders started off in the dirt and saw the speed and cornering as something they had to try. When the current offroad craze slows down alot of those guys will come over to onroad.
Don't dismiss offroad as not requiring any set-up because it still does need some work to get an offroad car running good. However, the margin for error in offroad is bigger than that of onroad. Offroad is slower and more forgiving which is why it is so attractive to beginners.

Nowadays, you don't see any novice classes in onroad at all especially nitro. Thats because theres an expectation that onroad nitro should be for experienced RC racers. The level of difficulty in assembling the kits is exactly that. When was the last time you saw someone at a nitro onroad race with an RTR? Regardless of that, no RTR motor would have any chance of competing against others with a Nova or JP motor. Plain and simple, that very fact disqualifies any beginner for nitro onroad.

If you want the sport to grow you got to bring in the newbies and they need to have a place to start somewhere.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
Damn YR4Dude....you only beat me to this post because i got stuck in traffic......lol......but +1 to what he said Jeff.

Let's not forget that the tourning racing got too competetive and there fore too expensive for many. Don't get me wrong, you can still get a the inexpensive touring chassis and have a ball with it but those are ususally looked upon as beginners cars or only good for bashing.

Also the decline of the local hobby shops. Sure there are a few shops here and there, but lets face it the internet has put most of them out of business or change the way they do business (as far as inventory) The poor economy doesn't help much, right now, either. These were the guys hosting most of the parking lot races that you spoke.

But fear not.....you are not the only one pondering this questions. The vintage class and GT class is making its comeback as we recover form the recession we had. It should help restart the cycle and hopefully bring it back to, or close to the way it was around late 90's and early 2000's

The Kyosho Fazor, The HPI RS4 Evo, are just two fo the chassis tha will help bring back the fun of the good old days.

I miss the late 90's r/c. I think a vintage class would be fun! All of the old outdated cars on my shelf could be revived.

I'm currently working on getting my 2wd impact m2 spec 99 going again. I forgot how cool these cars are, and people are selling off parts and rollers for them for cheap. (i found 5 sets of new mounted foams at my LHS for $5/box)

235mm will live on!
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default On-road

Yup, the good old times. I used to drive the 4WD 1/8 Serpents and Piccos. They were great. I sold mine then Revelation Raceway took off their on-road tracks. I want it BACK!!! I still look at all this cars.

I actually just got me Mini-Z and bought a PanCar body just to remember those times. Hopefully they will reopen some kind of on-road track back out here in the Inland Empire.
actionplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

If You Got to Race OnRoad At Revelation Raceway You Had a Great Time

But Now It's Under Dirt DAMN IT
JS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
The level of difficulty in assembling the kits is exactly that. When was the last time you saw someone at a nitro onroad race with an RTR? Regardless of that, no RTR motor would have any chance of competing against others with a Nova or JP motor. Plain and simple, that very fact disqualifies any beginner for nitro onroad.

If you want the sport to grow you got to bring in the newbies and they need to have a place to start somewhere.
...and that is the very point I wanted to drive home with my too competetive and too expensive points. Hopefully teh Spec Vintage and GT classes will help bring back racing for the noobs, er.....beginners.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo9000 View Post
I miss the late 90's r/c. I think a vintage class would be fun! All of the old outdated cars on my shelf could be revived.

I'm currently working on getting my 2wd impact m2 spec 99 going again. I forgot how cool these cars are, and people are selling off parts and rollers for them for cheap. (i found 5 sets of new mounted foams at my LHS for $5/box)

235mm will live on!
All that would be fun too.....that's not what I meant buy vintage class. I meant the rtr chassis with vintage bodies like the '69 mustangs and camaro's, with the HPI vintage rubber tires.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Tech Regular

alot of things are chaging in rc racing, most guys are running traxx 4wd sh this year how though (LOL) at our off road track. I have raced for 14 years and have come to this (it is like skate borrding and mohoks) comes and goes
8lackflagracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
Tech Champion

It's dying here...... but I wont let it die easy.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pfeifer View Post
So that is exactly my question is where has nitro onroad gone? I used to run onroad back in the day and had a blast, but it died out in our area and now nitro off road is popular(which I run now). There are way more parking lots available than dirt tracks to set up a course and race these days. So why is onroad not as popular these days? One observation I had the other day was I opened a R/C magazine from a few years ago and noticed that there was alot of onroad content, now in the magazines I mostly see offroad and rockcrawling content.
Nobody wants to race in a parking lot any more. We're all spoiled!

Also the off road trucks and buggies are way more popular right now. Like someone said, these things you can start up and run just about anywhere.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Very strong in Florida all types of racing going on
GMartinez, that's what I was going to say. It will be next weekend WINTER NATS !!!!