R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b
Default Bringing back Rubber Nitro Sedans...

It's been a while since the inexpensive Rubber Nitro Sedans have really made a showing here in the Socal. I know a lot of it was cost due to the $400 Rossi's and foams. I know there are still a bunch of people buying these basic Nitro sedans, but where are you all running them? HPI makes the RS4 Evo Nitro 2, Tamiya had the TG10, Kyosho now has the Fazer...what can we do do get all these fun yet inexpensive cars back into the racing scene?

Who are the owners of these cars and where do you race or why do you not race?

Post away!
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
TEAM ASSOCIATED|REEDY|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA| RPM|AMAIN|CREATEX/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|CFX|CAL RACEWAY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I race with the OCRC crew in CORONA. VERY nitro friendly track and with my group of friends theres always a NITRO heat. =) I wish more people would come out.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Hmm, I guess I need to come back and race. I'd love to come back to Corona to race some nitro with you guys. This is my son's last year in high school and between wrestling and baseball, I don't have the time. After June and graduation, I should have some more time.

As for getting nitro sedan re-energized, here are my thoughts.

1st a spec rubber tire. The HPI xpatterns would be a pretty good choice. I was using them for the last couple of races I ran, but the pre-mounts would get eaten up pretty quick with the "ring of death". I was going to go back to mounting myself and using the pro foam inserts, but the nylon rims were a bit hard to find. ABS rim tend to crack. I'm sure a suitable tire/rim/insert combo could be found.

2nd We could also go the RCGT or Vintage route with body selection which would look cool.

3rd Keep the straight on the track from getting too long. This probably should be at the top of the list. I know nitro guys love to open it up and let the engines rip, but this will really level the racing between any high powered engine and the rtr kits out there. It will also prevent those bone crushing crashes at the end of the straight from the guy who just got his new kit and is racing for the 1st time.

BTW, I run a couple of HPI R40's. I also have an old school RS4 Racer2.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Come race in the UK, we have a National series for Rubber racers.
jonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
Hmm, I guess I need to come back and race. I'd love to come back to Corona to race some nitro with you guys. This is my son's last year in high school and between wrestling and baseball, I don't have the time. After June and graduation, I should have some more time.

1st a spec rubber tire. The HPI xpatterns would be a pretty good choice. I was using them for the last couple of races I ran, but the pre-mounts would get eaten up pretty quick with the "ring of death". I was going to go back to mounting myself and using the pro foam inserts, but the nylon rims were a bit hard to find. ABS rim tend to crack. I'm sure a suitable tire/rim/insert combo could be found.

2nd We could also go the RCGT or Vintage route with body selection which would look cool.

3rd Keep the straight on the track from getting too long. This probably should be at the top of the list. I know nitro guys love to open it up and let the engines rip, but this will really level the racing between any high powered engine and the rtr kits out there. It will also prevent those bone crushing crashes at the end of the straight from the guy who just got his new kit and is racing for the 1st time.

pmt tires from italy are the best
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post

Instead of shortening the straight, people could just put in a couple temporary half walls down the straight that people would have to go around and would slow it down a bit. Then, for the "pro" class, just remove the walls, and you'll have the full length. Just an idea.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Some of the things we do in real racing to keep the costs down is spec engines. and have them sealed. So have say outfit a couple of the hobby shops in your area as authorized service shops.Drill and safety wire the head on so you can't remove the sleeve to port. and then run like a JLR red dot or something inexpensive. Not that having a shit ton of power with rubber tires will get you anywhere. Cause the keep up with the jones' is what happens in racing.

Spec Miata turned crap car racing into $10,000 engine racing. And or throw out a whole buncha nitro tc3's. Spec gearing, spec tire, and try to take out some of the variables to test.

Most of all it needs to be fun.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Thumbs up rubber tires

Had a blast back in the day with a GP spider!! Either Kyosho tires, HPI x patterns, or slicks.. cheap and you got the better part of the season out of one set.

Have an FW-05T+ now, that I hope to run in the occasional NVTA races we have here... just not much going on around here anymore.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Gluing tires 3 set (12 tires) ? ..... no thanks.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Gluing tires 3 set (12 tires) ? ..... no thanks.
spec tires prevent that...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You guys have it backwards.. Why would you want to get away from foam tyres when premounted rubber tires cost about $14 more per set vs nitro foams.....

We have nitro in parking lot races in L.A. and it is consistently getting a decent turn out.....
Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
You guys have it backwards.. Why would you want to get away from foam tyres when premounted rubber tires cost about $14 more per set vs nitro foams.....

We have nitro in parking lot races in L.A. and it is consistently getting a decent turn out.....
Not everyone has the luxury to run on a smooth asphalt parking lot. When I first got into parking lot racing after moving to Dallas, TX 10+ years ago, the main parking lot track was on a semi-groomed concrete lot. Foam tires don't work on that surface thus we learned how to race with rubber tires on our cars. It is not as bad as many of you make it out to be. On another thread, I told a story of how I qualified at a Regional race on rubber tires on treated asphalt and shocked everyone at how well my run was. Everyone thinks that rubber tires won't work on a nitro car because foam tires is all they know (caught up in the hype). But, you will have to tweat your setup to run rubber (which many don't like to do).

Don't hate what you haven't tried.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post

Hey man, how goes it. Just a thought, having been in the LA area. You guys always have decent turn outs cause its socal and onroad is pretty strong there. I WISH i still lived there cause the racing is always good there. Dude talking about track surface and dirty tracks foams don't work as well.

Hope all is well with you. I can't wait till it stops raining here so we can race NITRO!! lol

Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The other thing alot of you guys are overlooking is you need someone to setup a track...that was usually done by the local hobby shops, but since a lot of them have died out, due to, the internet shops, they aren't around or don't have enough business to make setting up a track worth their while.

If you have a LHS in your area, you should press them to set up a track for you guys, but make sure you get support from people to come out and race, or else you're back where you started.

Last edited by Kyo83; 06-18-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote