Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
RS4 3 Evo+ vs. RS4 3 Drift - Which for me? >

RS4 3 Evo+ vs. RS4 3 Drift - Which for me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RS4 3 Evo+ vs. RS4 3 Drift - Which for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default RS4 3 Evo+ vs. RS4 3 Drift - Which for me?

I used to own an RS4 3 SS years ago. I just loved tearing up a huge empty parking lot with that thing drifting everywhere. I'm going to pull the trigger today on one of the new RS4 3s but don't know if I want the Drift or the Evo+. Reading the difference the Drift version has the engine more centered for better balancing. I'm not sure if I will like this though. To be honest I absolutely loved the way it handled with the rear engine, it just seemed way more fun to throw it into an oversteer my self.

Is there anyone here who can comment on if the drift version makes it too easy and takes the fun out of throwing it into an oversteer? Also I don't always want to drift and want to race my friends with their cars so I really don't want something tailhappy either.

Also, for thrashing around parking lots doing drifting, what is the best tire/wheel compound. I've always had problems with tires ripping off the rims and it took allot of the fun out of it. What combo would stay on the rim?

...and for non-drifting like when I am racing my friends, is the 30mm rear C 35 compound foam/26mm front D 37 front foam a good combo for parking lots?!

I just read that the Drift version doesn't have a 2-spd tranny like the Evo+, is this true?!

Last question, lol, when always running at high RPM drifting, do I want the 20% or the 30% fuel? I of course want the engine to last as long as possible. Is the O'Donnell 20% RTR Nitro Fuel a good choice?

Thanks!

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-25-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK 92GTA,

Lets take it from the top. Since you know the RS4 ss, from the old days, then you know the Evo and the Drift 3. Not much has changed from that chasis except the motor and slighty better material on the plastics parts and upperdeck.

The Drift 3 moves the motor to the center for more balance, thus helping keep the rear end from swing around (spin-out) which in turn help you hold longer drifts.

The transmission is indeed a single speed. This is also better for RC drifting, as the two-speed transmission could make handle/maintaining a proper more difficult (its doable, just more difficult for a number of reason...the obvious being there is no user feed back to feel the car sliding) Keep in mind, you can upgrade to the 2-speed tranny should you want use your car for racing.

The main chassis is also lighter than the Evo 3. This too, helps initiate and maintain longer drifts.

The real factor is in the tires! When it comes to rc drifting (four wheels at that) there has to be a perfect balance between traction and slippage.

The Drift 3 uses a hard rubber (almost feels like plastic tire) which gives just enough traction for slight steering and straight-line acceloration.this is the equivalent to putting electric tape on our tires like we used to do back in the day. But they last alot longer and look more realistic. As you pointed out, you can easly throw on so foam tires should you want to do some parking lot races, but this car, by no means is meant to be a racer and require some upgrading if you plan to use it that way.

Now if you look at it from the other side of the coin, you could buy the Evo 3, a set of the drift tires and then tune the camber and toe setting untill you get the same thing. HPI just did it for you the other with the Drift 3.

My 2 cents.....