Capricorn LAB-C01

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Congrats! Now take your time with it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

guys, kinda off topic but how much would be a descent price for a used cap lab-co1 or how much did you pay when you bought it used? thanks for the info:
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

A brand new kit goes for $599.99 at Kamikazercracing.com
depending on the condition of a used car you really shouldn't go over 300. Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Kits

Brand new kit $580.00 Megarchobbies.com
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

they sent me the wrong tiers too , i sent them a message and no response yet.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omegaf
i received mine today!!
it came with a red towel and lots of stickers. they made a mistake though and they sent me 30mm tires all around instead of a set of 30 and 26. i will keep them anyhow. i will try to find some foam tires locally.
Nice, enjoy the build and don't forget to post some pictures of the finished product.
Just contact Capricorn about the tires, their customer service is the best.

Originally Posted by dex410usa
they sent me the wrong tiers too , i sent them a message and no response yet.
Strange, most of time they answer their mail within 24 hours or even quicker.
I do know they are very busy with the release with the 1/8 scale so they might have missed your message.
Maybe try contacting them again if you send the email longer then 2 days ago.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

ok i got a problem right on the first page of the instructions. first of all they don't tell me which oil to use in the suspension. i got 150k 70k and 50. the thinnest of all is the 50. the other two are thick like honey.

the second problem is that item 4 does not fit where they want me to fit it. the only nut in bag S is way too large for that end of the shaft.
at the same time, there is nothing that looks like item 7 in bag D.
also the manual states that bag S has washers in it but there are none in mine.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

ok i got a problem right on the first page of the instructions. first of all they don't tell me which oil to use in the suspension. i got 150k 70k and 50. the thinnest of all is the 50. the other two are thick like honey.

the second problem is that item 4 does not fit where they want me to fit it. the only nut in bag S is way too large for that end of the shaft.
That's really messed up... That shouldn't happen...

Anyways... 150k is for the front diff, 70k is for the rear diff, 50 is (500cst) i believe is for the shocks...
Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

bag D only had 4 rubber washers and I need 8 to make 4 suspensions... they have to be kidding me.
what the hell? the manual is worthless. it has the same item code for two different items.
page 5 rif 2 and rif 6 have the same code CAP16003 but one is a metallic washer and the other is a rubber washer. How can i even explain to them the parts i am missing if they don't have distinctive codes? if thats the quality of the EU champ and this is supposed to be the limited edition then i dare not think how bad the others are. Or is this just another case of Italian "quality"?

Last edited by omegaf; 02-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK, first I'll admit the manual isn't the best, it's something which needs serious improvement.

It has been a while for me since I build my kit so I have to do this out of the top of my head.

Bag S is the bag with all the nuts and bolts right?.
The small nut and washer should either be in Bag S or in Bag D.
It would really surprise me if all the nuts and washers would be missing.

The shocks have been updated, instead of 2 o-rings per shock in now features one and a different plastic shock guide. Item 7 now looks different, it's shown in this picture:

These are parts needed for the shock:

bag D only had 4 rubber washers and I need 8 to make 4 suspensions... they have to be kidding me.
what the hell? the manual is worthless. it has the same item code for two different items.
page 5 rif 2 and rif 6 have the same code CAP16003 but one is a metallic washer and the other is a rubber washer. How can i even explain to them the parts i am missing if they don't have distinctive codes? if thats the quality of the EU champ and this is supposed to be the limited edition then i dare not think how bad the others are. Or is this just another case of Italian "quality"?
The part number 16003 is for the shock rebuild kit, when you want to replace the o-rings you should also replace the clip which holds the entire assembly in the shock. So that's why they are sold in a kit.

Again, this is an advanced kit, since you said you had an mechanical engineering background I figured you should be able to assemble the car.
It's not a beginners kit.

Quality wise there is nothing like it, except the manual which needs upgrading to Xray standards.

I have send you a PM with my contact details.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Default To Omegaf

Hi, hope I will not make you angry, but I think Capricorn, RRR or even NT1 (even with superb manual) are very advanced racing cars and as such require some knowledge, which I think you haven't. Normaly it is good to start with this hobby (and anything else) to meet with people they are in, ask for info, suggestions, read as much as possible, try to find somebody that can help online and maybe start with something more simple. This is not only about spend money. This forum is perfect for info, but for build car to somebody green like you - not. I suggest to wait with building before you made some big mistake, try to find somebody in your city who knows whats going on, build with him, and start to learn drive with. You will definitely need help, like everybody here on forum in his begining, and also in group you will like this hobby more.
This is my suggestion. I can be wrong.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by majk
Hi, hope I will not make you angry, but I think Capricorn, RRR or even NT1 (even with superb manual) are very advanced racing cars and as such require some knowledge, which I think you haven't. Normaly it is good to start with this hobby (and anything else) to meet with people they are in, ask for info, suggestions, read as much as possible, try to find somebody that can help online and maybe start with something more simple. This is not only abot spend money. This forum is perfect for info, but for build car to somebody green like you - not. I suggest to wait with building before you made some big mistake, try to find somebody in your city who knows whats going on, build with him, and start to learn drive with. You will definitely need help, like everybody here on forum in his begining, and also in group you will have this hobby more like.
Like DS says... If Capricorn's manual was at Xray's standards, he would be able to assemble the car even if its his first...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

I can relate to his "steaming". One pays premium for this kit, and as DS said, the manual needs serious work to "fit the rest". Believe, this is a top noutch model.
I have a friend that runned a RTR kit for 2 weeks. He was about to quit RC. I told him to stop and learn about what was going on, why the model didn't handle, all me mechanical problems etc.
Insteand he went to the lhs and got the cap kit with orion sevos and complete EB hard tuned engine and futaba radio!
As he did not want to work the learning curve, I did the work of putting the kit toghether and setup.
He is a happy "bad driver" in our track, never losing the car. Uggly lap times, but great fun nonetheless...
Can't go wrong with this kit, but it's, as said number of times before, an advanced "toy". Take your time, and when the manual get's in your way, come here and we help.

till next.

Last edited by Rawz; 02-11-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

haha well i figured it all out without reading all these posts. i was scratching my head for about an hour trying to figure out what the double width plastic washers do and then i realised i didn't need 8 rubber rings but only 4.

I got 4 fully working dampers now people
seriously though, they gotta fix their manual. i am a rookie but i have engineering background and i feel right at home when i look at mechanical designs. Having a manual that throws you off track so badly is an insult for such an expensive car.

And by the way, those washers that the manual says are in bag S are actually in bag D in my case. At least I hope so. The dimensions i measured are correct. would have been nice if the manual had a 1:1 chart for washers.

Off to assemble the front diff

Only one request i got for you Capricorn distributors. Please make sure people are aware that the manual is outdated. Maybe a sticky here or on your websites. Yes it is for advanced users (in terms of real engineering it is actually one of the easiest designs I have seen) but wrong instructions are wrong instructions and even if you got a pretty good clue of what the parts are, you can be thrown completely off track.

by the way, the bottom ball cup you have in the photo is different to the one the manual shows. I have installed the one the manual shows and the length of the shocks is still correct. i dont think i can change it now. the plastic is pretty tight.

Last edited by omegaf; 02-10-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by majk
Hi, hope I will not make you angry, but I think Capricorn, RRR or even NT1 (even with superb manual) are very advanced racing cars and as such require some knowledge, which I think you haven't. Normaly it is good to start with this hobby (and anything else) to meet with people they are in, ask for info, suggestions, read as much as possible, try to find somebody that can help online and maybe start with something more simple. This is not only about spend money. This forum is perfect for info, but for build car to somebody green like you - not. I suggest to wait with building before you made some big mistake, try to find somebody in your city who knows whats going on, build with him, and start to learn drive with. You will definitely need help, like everybody here on forum in his begining, and also in group you will like this hobby more.
Sorry but the complexity of these cars is laughable to someone who has worked with some serious engineering drawings for 2 years. I know very well what I am doing. I can put this thing together with my eyes closed if i didn't have a manual giving me wrong instructions. At the very least an engineer is supposed to trust 100% the drawings of the manufacturer. How am i supposed to guess that the manual is wrong? In my scenario, either the manual was wrong or parts were missing form the kit. There is no third option. Thanks for the feedback though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.