Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Experiment with impressive results

Since i still didn't manage to get the off power steering necessary for all the tight chicanes with the springs we started looking into other stuff.

Today we tested a rear diff with 10,000 and i was blown out of how more turn in i had in the chicanes and the accelaration tail happy issue i had got solved

I will try 5,000 and see what happens.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speed6
Since i still didn't manage to get the off power steering necessary for all the tight chicanes with the springs we started looking into other stuff.

Today we tested a rear diff with 10,000 and i was blown out of how more turn in i had in the chicanes and the accelaration tail happy issue i had got solved

You could try more toe out, lower rear roll centre (take spacers of top of rear camber link, move lower arm pins down or upper arm pins higher). You would probably know, but less caster helps on tracks with tight corners, but reduces straight line stability.

Also check tire wear to make sure that your front camber is set right (too little front camber will make cars understeer off-power) and it is perhaps also worth noting that initial steering response will be more direct with less Ackermann ( steering will react faster).

Shorter wheel base will give the car more overall traction.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
You could try more toe out, lower rear roll centre (take spacers of top of rear camber link, move lower arm pins down or upper arm pins higher). You would probably know, but less caster helps on tracks with tight corners, but reduces straight line stability.

Also check tire wear to make sure that your front camber is set right (too little front camber will make cars understeer off-power) and it is perhaps also worth noting that initial steering response will be more direct with less Ackermann ( steering will react faster).

Shorter wheel base will give the car more overall traction.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Hey Lars,

That's practically the setup I am running.

Tried less caster but didn't get to much in the chicanes and lost way to many steering in the fast section.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Default Xmas Greetings

Be careful to keep the wheels on the ground in the corners, if the inside wheel lifts with 5000 it could spin up and smash the diff..

But I really came to wish all the Capricorn RC family an Early Merry Christmas from downunder!

Cheers to all...

h
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Lars,

That's practically the setup I am running.

Tried less caster but didn't get to much in the chicanes and lost way to many steering in the fast section.
I forgot to mention; but we've been using small SC-1251MG steering servos, and we've only recently realised that they don't work as well as full size servos in nitro cars with foam tires. Changing to a bigger SC-1257TG made a significant improvement to the steering in our car. We will now change to JR DS8915 servos for steering before the next event we go to.

Also; I have more than once seen hard to identify problems with not enough steering on the track; with servos that seem to operate faultlessly, fast with heaps of torque in the pits. We also had such problem in a final in the last event we raced in, and perhaps you should try another servo if nothing else works.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
I forgot to mention; but we've been using small SC-1251MG steering servos, and we've only recently realised that they don't work as well as full size servos in nitro cars with foam tires. Changing to a bigger SC-1257TG made a significant improvement to the steering in our car. We will now change to JR DS8915 servos for steering before the next event we go to.

Also; I have more than once seen hard to identify problems with not enough steering on the track; with servos that seem to operate faultlessly, fast with heaps of torque in the pits. We also had such problem in a final in the last event we raced in, and perhaps you should try another servo if nothing else works.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Thanks god to my great eye sight I can see the wheel quite easily at a certain angle at an almost full lock so the servo looks ok but will try another one to be sure.

I would also like to comment that with the light rear diff made the car much easier to drive. Will start taking some timing and see if we improved a bit and check consistency.
All the best people! 2013 looks like we are going to kick some ass much harder than usual!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does anyone know the spring rates in lb or gf/mm or lb/in for the capricorn springs?
thanks in advice!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default Servo Horn

Hello

I'm actually building the LAB C-01 and I was surprised not finding the servo horns in the kit
What kind of horns did you use for your steering and throttle servos?

Which servos do you use for this kit?
Low profile or standart size?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Italboy
Hello

I'm actually building the LAB C-01 and I was surprised not finding the servo horns in the kit

Best regards
You can use Low profile servo for gas/break and a normal servo for steering for better balance.
You can use the alu servo horns that Capricorn sells of use plastic ones.

Notice: Good plastic servo horns are from Team Magic that don't break. (Have for Sanwa & Futaba Servos). Check Capri servo horns width.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Hello

Best regards
I would go for the ones 3Racing produce, please see link:

http://os.3racing.hk/products_list.p..._key=81&page=2

It looks a lot like the ones as those Capricorn sells and they are cheaper
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC-Netshop.dk

I WOULD GO FOR HUDY!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nikoskar
You can use Low profile servo for gas/break and a normal servo for steering for better balance.

Notice: Good plastic servo horns are from Team Magic that don't break. (Have for Sanwa & Futaba Servos). Check Capri servo horns width.

Hey nikoskar , where have you been for the last 12 or so months? Wellcome back....we are waiting for your comeback? are you gonna have your new Capri ready for 2014????
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nikoskar

Thank you very much!
Which servo (Savox) would you recommend?
For the horns I will have a look on both, TM and 3Racing.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC-Netshop.dk

Thanks Nico!
I will have a look at 3Racing!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hello

Best regards
The 3racing horns look nice (almost same red) but are quite weak, they are made of cheap aluminum.
Capricorn now offers a complete set of plastic servo horns:
http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...d_product=1828

For servos I would recommend anything but Savox, the Savox servos are cheaply made and they don't fit very well, especially the low profile ones.
Personally I use the RSX One10 from KoPropo, but any servo from Sanwa, Futaba or Kopropo should do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.