R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #1291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

So the New C02 kit..ive noticed so far no brass battery tray, no brass plated shock shafts, front blade sway bar, plastic front upper bumper tray, new style wheel axles with traditional style wheel nuts.
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #1292
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team RMR View Post
Hi all. Can someone please tell me what the best / correct steering servo horn is to use in a Lab C-01 ? I'm using a Futaba BLS451 servo and tried the horn from my NT1 (16mm between holes) however it seems 'wrong'. The angle of the link between the horn and the steering mechanism is pretty steep and it seems to bind / be tight when the servo is at 'neutral'. The servo also seems to 'rock' a little around the neutal position when it operates because of this tight linkage arrangement. This can't be good for the servo I think ?

I've already done the grinding thing with the dremel on the ball ends to attempt to relieve them but still to no avail. The problem seems to be that the link connects underneath the steering mechanism on this car but on all other cars I've had its been on the top. This results in the steep angle of the link.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'm currently using a horn from 3racing which also has a 16mm center to center distance. The angle is indeed quite steep but I haven't experienced any binding with my car.
I will start the build of my new C02 within the next few days and I will post a couple of pictures of the steering assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProE View Post
Hi guys,

Were looking for online shops that will also ship internationally. Please post links if you know of any.

Thanks
I'm able to ship internationally, and able to ship without VAT for customers outside the EU.
If you have any questions you can reach me at [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr View Post
So the New C02 kit..ive noticed so far no brass battery tray, no brass plated shock shafts, front blade sway bar, plastic front upper bumper tray, new style wheel axles with traditional style wheel nuts.
-With the new weight limit in Europe of 1550 gram the brass tray isn't used.
Also the plastic tray improves flex which is a good thing.
-The kits I've received included the Titanium nitride coated shock shafts.
-Some still prefer the blade style stabi because it's easier to change it's settings, I'm a big fan of the new wire style stabi. With the new wire stabi your able to change the settings within a minute.
-Plastic bumper might add a bit of flex but also saves weight.
-The new wheel axles using wheel nuts are lighter then the one piece axles which were using the bolts to secure the wheels.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #1293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

No magnesium radio tray mounts either

car still looks so damn good!!
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #1294
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr View Post
No magnesium radio tray mounts either

car still looks so damn good!!
John, Video effect used to single out the red removed the brass colour from shocks.

The build was quite straightforward, a little dremel on the battery tray support for the side belt pulley. And getting those little rubbers on the diffs wasnt as hard as I expected.

There was a grub screw short in the kit for shocks, we could have lost it. And the nuts for the bottom front bumper plates missing as well.

Aside from these to insignificant issues, the build was very nice. Everything about the car has attention to detail and I could go on with an epic post, rather Ill let you know what was ordinary.

Here's the list of ordinary..

1) The plastic handle is flimsy.

2) Little philips head screws on the front diff cap.

3) Front spring retainers on shocks hit front bulkhead, needed 1mm shim behind top shock mount.

That's about it, the rest is delightful, innovative and very nice to work with.

http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/Red_Build_360.mp4
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #1295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Cool People Hangout!

Arhhh i see this is where all the cool people are hanging out these days....

Blis:

Wish you and Luke all the best with the Capricorn in 2012!

Andrew
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #1296
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Arhhh i see this is where all the cool people are hanging out these days....

Blis:

Wish you and Luke all the best with the Capricorn in 2012!

Andrew

Andrew, finally I might get to drive the G4+
Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #1297
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Andrew, finally I might get to drive the G4+
LOL... Enjoy it Harry, at least you can get radio settings spot on and not worry about someone changing them on you now!

Andrew
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #1298
TMF
Tech Initiate

https://picasaweb.google.com/1169231...j9nb6btP3Z3wE#
TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #1299
Tech Elite

Default LAB-C02 First run

Having built the C02 today was our maiden run at England Park's opening all scales meeting. This was an outing just to run in the car and loosen it up in readiness for a rebuild.

The car was fitted with RED springs to compensate for an aging surface and clutch was setup to a .3 tension and little end play with standard out of the box equipment. Battery was the Capricorn 1650 Life, tyres Capricorn 40 and 37 62-60 split and everything was very much out of the box setup.

We initially started with a softer spring setup of .3 on the clutch and some end play which caused some slipping, it was intentional to go easy on the transmission and run the 2 speed in. 2 Speed was set to 2 turns out and we ran an existing P56 Protoform that we had been given from a friend.

Engine was the standard LAB-e01 that is 12 months old and still in good condition all but the silicon on the crankshaft which escaped out the crank and wedged itself in the liner intake at our Australian titles ( removed cleaned and runs like a dream)

So what was it like ...!!??

You know when you expect the worst and don't have high expectations on your first run and things fall apart, screws disappear and you find yourself walking the track head down looking for bits and pieces of your car...

Well, we had a little of that, my son built the belt tensioner incorrectly and one of the bearings was about to fall off. Then the 2 Speed screws unwound and the car was sticking on the free roll. The roll bar blades on the front we sticky too and ALL of the above was due to our build and not the car's fault.

So, you'd think by then we'd be frustrated huh??!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME>>> THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!!

My son reported that it was easy to drive, fast off the mark and he was too scared to give it a handful (he loves his cars and hates harming them) yet, he looked faster than he's every been and there were many smiles in the garages seeing him really enjoying the drive.

We worked the suspension droop a little and I went over the clutch and wound it on to .5. Having driven TM's and Shepherd around our track, the LAB-C02 handled our high speed corner entries and exits better than anything we've driven. My son ran wide and had a few tumbles with no effects, nothing major and he rolled on track and continued.

While he was a little off the pace from some of the more hardened drivers he was definitely keeping them honest. Note, Luke was more concerned about scratchign his bottom plate and anodizing than he was winning.

We had one of the most enjoyable RC days and in the finals he was "in there", mixing it with the big boys when the earlier 2 Speed issue took it's toll and the 1st gear stripped off the screw threads, we could have continued as the track layout was fast and fluid and no problem driving 2nd gear only.

Usually this kind of let down would glaze my sons eyes with a tear, yet today, he was so satisfied with his car, that he smiled, said, "let's take her home now dad and rebuild her!"

Special thanks to Capricorn RC Australia, Chickentrader and Capricorn for bringing the joy of RC back into our lives... it's a beautiful thing when you see the RED rear end on the track!

Sincerely,

h

Tech issues: (User errors)

Had the sleeve for the belt tensioner the wrong way round
Should have given more attention to the 2 Speed build
Need to address the front sway bar setup and tweak.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #1300
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Having built the C02 today was our maiden run at England Park's opening all scales meeting. This was an outing just to run in the car and loosen it up in readiness for a rebuild.

The car was fitted with RED springs to compensate for an aging surface and clutch was setup to a .3 tension and little end play with standard out of the box equipment. Battery was the Capricorn 1650 Life, tyres Capricorn 40 and 37 62-60 split and everything was very much out of the box setup.

We initially started with a softer spring setup of .3 on the clutch and some end play which caused some slipping, it was intentional to go easy on the transmission and run the 2 speed in. 2 Speed was set to 2 turns out and we ran an existing P56 Protoform that we had been given from a friend.

Engine was the standard LAB-e01 that is 12 months old and still in good condition all but the silicon on the crankshaft which escaped out the crank and wedged itself in the liner intake at our Australian titles ( removed cleaned and runs like a dream)

So what was it like ...!!??

You know when you expect the worst and don't have high expectations on your first run and things fall apart, screws disappear and you find yourself walking the track head down looking for bits and pieces of your car...

Well, we had a little of that, my son built the belt tensioner incorrectly and one of the bearings was about to fall off. Then the 2 Speed screws unwound and the car was sticking on the free roll. The roll bar blades on the front we sticky too and ALL of the above was due to our build and not the car's fault.

So, you'd think by then we'd be frustrated huh??!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME>>> THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!!

My son reported that it was easy to drive, fast off the mark and he was too scared to give it a handful (he loves his cars and hates harming them) yet, he looked faster than he's every been and there were many smiles in the garages seeing him really enjoying the drive.

We worked the suspension droop a little and I went over the clutch and wound it on to .5. Having driven TM's and Shepherd around our track, the LAB-C02 handled our high speed corner entries and exits better than anything we've driven. My son ran wide and had a few tumbles with no effects, nothing major and he rolled on track and continued.

While he was a little off the pace from some of the more hardened drivers he was definitely keeping them honest. Note, Luke was more concerned about scratchign his bottom plate and anodizing than he was winning.

We had one of the most enjoyable RC days and in the finals he was "in there", mixing it with the big boys when the earlier 2 Speed issue took it's toll and the 1st gear stripped off the screw threads, we could have continued as the track layout was fast and fluid and no problem driving 2nd gear only.

Usually this kind of let down would glaze my sons eyes with a tear, yet today, he was so satisfied with his car, that he smiled, said, "let's take her home now dad and rebuild her!"

Special thanks to Capricorn RC Australia, Chickentrader and Capricorn for bringing the joy of RC back into our lives... it's a beautiful thing when you see the RED rear end on the track!

Sincerely,

h

Tech issues: (User errors)

Had the sleeve for the belt tensioner the wrong way round
Should have given more attention to the 2 Speed build
Need to address the front sway bar setup and tweak.
Thanks for the kind words; Harry, and thanks to you for the lend of the INS box. Great Luke on the team; you could really see how happy he was with the car, and he looked faster than what I've seen him before.

We had a handling problem our car in the final; we don't know what it was yet, it might have been a slipping side belt. But it was good enough to go around and finish the final.

A blank CO2 setup sheet in the file attachment, in case anyone wants one. And another copy of the clutch setup sheet that DS Motorsports (many thanks for that Daan) ) uploaded a few moons back.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LAB C02 Illustrated blank setup sheet.pdf (180.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: pdf Capricorn clutch blank set up sheet 2.pdf (321.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #1301
Tech Regular

Nice photo.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #1302
Tech Apprentice

Default C02

Hi

Part #CAP-16040M Magnesium Rear Left Main Harm Are the bearings with this smaller?? Also will this work with the Lab c02?? and does the new Lab c02 because of the plastic around the bearing , are they smaller or the same size has lab c01??
jorge858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #1303
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge858 View Post
Hi

Part #CAP-16040M Magnesium Rear Left Main Harm Are the bearings with this smaller?? Also will this work with the Lab c02?? and does the new Lab c02 because of the plastic around the bearing , are they smaller or the same size has lab c01??
The CO1 magnesium bulkheads use 10 x 6 x 3 bearings for the layshaft; but the red CO2 bulkheads use 12 x 6 x 4 bearings, and no plastic inserts. It is possible that the plastic inserts will fit the red bulkheads however, and maybe the 12 x 6 x 4 bearings will fit the magnesium bulkheads if you don't use the inserts. Perhaps Patrizio will offer magnesium bulkheads for the CO2 with the plastic inserts sometimes in the future; we used the magnesium bulkheads in our CO1, and we never experienced any cracks in them.

The CO2 use plastic eccentrics for the rear diff though, and they are meant to dampen vibrations.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #1304
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickentrader View Post
The CO1 magnesium bulkheads use 10 x 6 x 3 bearings for the layshaft; but the red CO2 bulkheads use 12 x 6 x 4 bearings, and no plastic inserts. It is possible that the plastic inserts will fit the red bulkheads however, and maybe the 12 x 6 x 4 bearings will fit the magnesium bulkheads if you don't use the inserts. Perhaps Patrizio will offer magnesium bulkheads for the CO2 with the plastic inserts sometimes in the future; we used the magnesium bulkheads in our CO1, and we never experienced any cracks in them.

The CO2 use plastic eccentrics for the rear diff though, and they are meant to dampen vibrations.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Lars, I think they are cylindrical , you had me worried. Last night I applied my 'blisimo' setup to the suspension and was happily pleased that default droop settings are perfect. Still trying to find something about the car I dont like.

Our initial build of the 2 speed spurs (screws came loose) completely shagged the 2 speed clutch though, have placed order with CW.

http://capricornrc.com.au/latest-video/
Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #1305
Tech Elite

Quote:
Lars, I think they are cylindrical , you had me worried.

Our initial build of the 2 speed spurs (screws came loose) completely shagged the 2 speed clutch though, have placed order with CW.

http://capricornrc.com.au/latest-video/
The insets are eccentric in our car; there is a the notch on flange that indicate the basic position, and belt tension is adjusted with by turning them either way.

We've also had a couple of issues the same loose screws; not enough to cause a problem in a race though, it just showed up during inspections. The problem was caused by us, by not making sure that the spurs were 100% tight against the other surface. We now put the 2 speed housing against something flat and tap the spur down on it to make it tight. More often than not we find that the screws need to be tighten up a bit more after tapping them down. But we also keep an eye on the screws, and inspect it every time that we take the spurs off the car.

Kindest regards,
Lars.