R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #376
Tech Regular

Over past couple weeks I have been testing the car more and more. Today was really good, and I managed to set a new track record on my home track, even with medium traction.

What I have learnt from the setup of this car;
Lowest roll center positions are good for low traction, they improve the grip of the car.

Rear toe in is very very sensitive! I went from 2.5 to 3.0 and car instantly had lot more rear grip and stability.
When the grip is medium to low, standart diff oils are too thick to use. I used 80k front and 40k rear instead of 120k fr, 70k rear. Car was lot more stable and consistent in medium traction,without loss of any acceleration and I was able to put in really consistent laptimes with this combination, and my personal record improved from 18.75x to 18.3xx with this diff setup.

Today I tried the 10mm ackermann position instead of 12mm and car had a tad more steering, and little more smooth feeling but laptime dropped to 18.148(track record)

I will be using front and rear tyres same shore, because I feel that unless track has really good traction, rear end keeps sliding with one step harder.
I was with 40 shore all around today, and tested 37 shore all around, but car had a lot of oversteer, Im not sure but this is probably from a bad tyre set.

Tomorrow we have our first serious race "Model Cup 2010" in this track, and I will be there. Im sure grip will continue to grow up and I will see if I can drop my times to 17.xxx

Thanks
Mustafa

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #377
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by musti72 View Post
Over past couple weeks I have been testing the car more and more. Today was really good, and I managed to set a new track record on my home track, even with medium traction.

What I have learnt from the setup of this car;
Lowest roll center positions are good for low traction, they improve the grip of the car.

Rear toe in is very very sensitive! I went from 2.5 to 3.0 and car instantly had lot more rear grip and stability.
When the grip is medium to low, standart diff oils are too thick to use. I used 80k front and 40k rear instead of 120k fr, 70k rear. Car was lot more stable and consistent in medium traction,without loss of any acceleration and I was able to put in really consistent laptimes with this combination, and my personal record improved from 18.75x to 18.3xx with this diff setup.

Today I tried the 10mm ackermann position instead of 12mm and car had a tad more steering, and little more smooth feeling but laptime dropped to 18.148(track record)

I will be using front and rear tyres same shore, because I feel that unless track has really good traction, rear end keeps sliding with one step harder.
I was with 40 shore all around today, and tested 37 shore all around, but car had a lot of oversteer, Im not sure but this is probably from a bad tyre set.

Tomorrow we have our first serious race "Model Cup 2010" in this track, and I will be there. Im sure grip will continue to grow up and I will see if I can drop my times to 17.xxx

Thanks
Mustafa
Congrats,and good luck tomorrow, my car is in the box yet, but tomorrow i have work!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #378
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Cool Maybe I'll get one

I am considering another manufacturer. I am a big fan of kyosho, still am. Although I do like the light-weight features of the capricorn. I am just a little skeptical of the plastic diff gears.

Are there a metal replacement for these gears?

I have not seen them in person, so I cannot judge a replacement for them.

how are part support sofar from trinity for this vehicle?
thanks.
kyosho_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #379
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I have been running the plastic gears for quite some time now , at least 3 months and i race pretty much every weekend, 5 qualifiers and 30 min mains.

i have checked them recently and no sign of wear on the gears and where the pin sits behind them. just make sure to put the oil in the diff case before the gears to get maximum oil inside.

you can get the xray nt1 gears as they are a direct replacement.
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #380
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

I have about a gallon and a half on my car now. No major wear issue's. Diff gears still look brand new when I rebuilt my diffs before this weekend. as for parts support from Team Epic. I've had no issue's what so ever.

I also Have a good setup and will post it if somebody has an editable setup sheet.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #381
Tech Initiate

Hi

After 5 races and 2 gallons of tests i d'ont have any problems with the plastics diff gear

G
georges972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #382
Tech Regular

Yesterday at race I TQ ed all rounds, and cruised the 45min final from start to finish. Unfortunately I wasnt able to better my time, somehow traction was lower in the race, I had 18.4-18.5 fast laps all day and nobody else got under 19 except one driver having 18.9 in the final.
Best thing was 45 shore rear Capricorn Hard light tires wearing from 64mm to 59mm in 45min final!!

Big thanks to CapricornRC, Robitronic and Sav÷x.

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #383
Tech Initiate

Congratulation Musti !!

I win yesterday also...!!

this Car is great...

G
Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #384
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hi, i built the rear diff and it doesnt feel right.. i can hear/feels the gears grinding againest each other. i had to make the screws abit looser or else it would feel very very tight.. but even with looser screws, it still feels like they are 'crunchy'..

with the wheels and axles etc are on, it feels smooth. but when the diff is taken out and spin it by the cups with ure hand, it feels crunchy

should i remove the outside shims (the shim that sits between the diff cup & diff.

front one is smooth though, but the front is a xray diff with capricorn gears, while rear is a full capricorn.
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #385
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
hi, i built the rear diff and it doesnt feel right.. i can hear/feels the gears grinding againest each other. i had to make the screws abit looser or else it would feel very very tight.. but even with looser screws, it still feels like they are 'crunchy'..

with the wheels and axles etc are on, it feels smooth. but when the diff is taken out and spin it by the cups with ure hand, it feels crunchy

should i remove the outside shims (the shim that sits between the diff cup & diff.

front one is smooth though, but the front is a xray diff with capricorn gears, while rear is a full capricorn.
Run the car once and then check it again. I'm sure after a little break in it will feel buttery smooth. DO NOT Remove those shims. It will just cause more problems.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #386
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ok so i had my first race with the cap it was very bouncy so i switched the springs to mugen purple fronts and kyo light blue rear and it helped alot but its still alittle bouncy, r track is pretty rough parking lot any ideas on how to calm it down some more? other than that it was as awsome as i expected !!!

Last edited by Roadrash730; 07-18-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Roadrash730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #387
Tech Initiate

Default no

hi

Let the stock springs they are ok for any track
just try 500 oil or 3 holes piston in rear or front and rear

Georges
LAb-01/ART
Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #388
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ill give that a try ive got some 500 oil ill try it with the stock springs next weekend and report back
Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #389
Tech Initiate

Default ok

hi

the springs should just touch the collors on the shocks when the car is sitting on blocks, not sitting on the tires. so about 7 rear and 6 front with a 63mm tire rear and 61 front

G
lab-c01/ART
Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #390
Tech Initiate

Default and

hi

when downstop are ok (1mm front...4mm rear)...
G
lab-c01/ART