Capricorn LAB-C01

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

Also boys what are the side effects of worn front diff out drives?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speed6
Hey guys so finally from some testing we did Black springs all round work well on normal track conditions but when they clean and sugar water the track Red springs handle better I.e front end hooks better and car is more reactive.

Isn't it supposed to be the other way round I.e.
Hard spring for high grip
Med - Soft for low grip conditions

Thanks

Read your post re steering servo and I have a KO RSX the fast one, is there a way to test it?
It really depends on the track, driver and the rest of the setup.
Most of the time when the car is traction rolling you want to go to softer springs. This seems weird because this will create extra grip. But the soft springs will give the car more time to react and thus more time to transfer it's weight.
When the car isn't traction rolling and there is a lot of grip the car can feel 'stuck' to the track, it lacks corner speed. Then when you go to harder springs it frees up the car and gives it more corner speed.
Things written in setup books don't always work, if this was the case car setup would've been far too easy.

What do you want to test about the servo?

Also boys what are the side effects of worn front diff out drives?

Thanks
It will screw up the handling because the driveshafts won't be able to move smoothly through the outdrive slot.
In the rear this is especially noticeable, it can even make the car hard to drive when you let them wear too much.

I replace the rear driveshaft pins before every race. When you do this the outdrives don't wear. Used together with the Capricorn Blue grease there isn't any visual wear on any of the outdrives.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
It really depends on the track, driver and the rest of the setup.
Most of the time when the car is traction rolling you want to go to softer springs. This seems weird because this will create extra grip. But the soft springs will give the car more time to react and thus more time to transfer it's weight.
When the car isn't traction rolling and there is a lot of grip the car can feel 'stuck' to the track, it lacks corner speed. Then when you go to harder springs it frees up the car and gives it more corner speed.
Things written in setup books don't always work, if this was the case car setup would've been far too easy.

What do you want to test about the servo?

It will screw up the handling because the driveshafts won't be able to move smoothly through the outdrive slot.
In the rear this is especially noticeable, it can even make the car hard to drive when you let them wear too much.

I replace the rear driveshaft pins before every race. When you do this the outdrives don't wear. Used together with the Capricorn Blue grease there isn't any visual wear on any of the outdrives.
How i wish i could experience traction rolling, i have been trying so many thing to fix my front understeer issue that now i am out of ideas. i really have to slow down to get the car to turn.
What i can't understand is that some other time cars feels great and understeer is gone but never traction roll so front grip is just right.

I also want to point out that when they sugar water the track and its not complitly dry car feels great when other complain of loosing to much rear grip (Xray guys running violet springs which are almost exactly as the REDS Cap)

But when grip comes up their cars are on rails and mine understeers.

I also noticed that when lightining rear diff oil i have a really big amount of understeer corner entry with brake.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Addict

Default Recommended MAX steering angle

What's the recommended max steering angle, since I run full lock but car doesn't turn more in the last 7-10% of steering movement.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

What's the recommended max steering angle, since I run full lock but car doesn't turn more in the last 7-10% of steering movement.
Sounds like you are scrubbing the front tyres anyway, losing all traction in the corner, perhaps dial down the steering to get a better feel for when front traction is lost rather than forcing understeer.

Put it this way, I think if you have too much steering angle you will naturally put the car into understeer like turning the wheel of a car really fast rather than easing into the corners and loading the suspension and maintaining grip.

It's just a suggestion anyway, sometimes it's better to back off than it is to keep throwing more steering until you find the real issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

-----

Last edited by djiewie; 01-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blis
Sounds like you are scrubbing the front tyres anyway, losing all traction in the corner, perhaps dial down the steering to get a better feel for when front traction is lost rather than forcing understeer.

Put it this way, I think if you have too much steering angle you will naturally put the car into understeer like turning the wheel of a car really fast rather than easing into the corners and loading the suspension and maintaining grip.

It's just a suggestion anyway, sometimes it's better to back off than it is to keep throwing more steering until you find the real issue.
Yesterday it felts and looked like they were scrubbing but how come since in normal conditions its doesnt scrub and when they sugar water the track it feels like it does since grip is much higher.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Yesterday it felts and looked like they were scrubbing but how come since in normal conditions its doesnt scrub and when they sugar water the track it feels like it does since grip is much higher.
Just as an idea, if your rear diff is too heavy and if the grip comes up, it will generate push rather than the lack of grip allowing the rear to slip. Free opinions don;t count for much though
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What servo are you running on the steering???

And can you post a set up setup???
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Addict

Please don't say "yesterday". It's painful for those of us in the cold. Maybe you all could ask questions in a hypothetical way or describe your experience as if it happened a while ago.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Please don't say "yesterday". It's painful for those of us in the cold. Maybe you all could ask questions in a hypothetical way or describe your experience as if it happened a while ago.
Believe me i would wrather have stayed at home in the cold with all the issue i had this last weekend.

Setup sheet attached,

Lately i have tested more light diff oils since our track is very tight and everyone seems to run light oils. I found out to have much more turn in off power entry. But lost a lot of off power brakinig steering. So i might try to go a bit thicker all round.

Servo is an KO RSX H.C. Response
Attached Files
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Tech Elite

Speed6 is you car a little lazy. Looking at the set up you have it looks to me that you car would be a slow reacting car with little turn in. Maybe you have good on power steering, but the going in, middle and left to right reaction looks like it would be slow.

Maybe you have said this but what kind of track are we dealing with.

Technical or flowing?
size?
traction?
tire wear?
bumpy or smooth?

Sorry for the questions if you already said, but I did not have time to look back.

DJ Apolaro
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
Speed6 is you car a little lazy. Looking at the set up you have it looks to me that you car would be a slow reacting car with little turn in. Maybe you have good on power steering, but the going in, middle and left to right reaction looks like it would be slow.

Maybe you have said this but what kind of track are we dealing with.

Technical or flowing?
size?
traction?
tire wear?
bumpy or smooth?

Sorry for the questions if you already said, but I did not have time to look back.

DJ Apolaro
As if DJ, i thank all of you for the time spent trying getting the car better. Which lately i felt very lost as we tried so many things but turn in off power wasn't good. Actuall even on Power it pushes a bit but its very close to what i need but off power duing race day ( track treated with sugar ) gets very crappy. the front is all over the place it wont even let me defend my race line that bad.

Track vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-chNmiC7t8
Its a Technical Track
Ssmall Size
Traction very low but very abbrasive, so abbrasive that tires survive only 15min
Bumby as asphalt is made old style big grain of rocks.

What was very surprising is that off power steering in normal/dirty track condition with Black springs car feels better than RED and on prep Track ( sugar water ) RED springs are better than BLACK so really and truly can't understand as it is supposed to be the other way round.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

I've just switched back to the aluminium one piece engine mounts with weight limits dropping to 1650 and unsure what other people's are like but mine were in need of a re-thread and I used a tap to clean them out, it's now a lot better.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Believe me i would wrather have stayed at home in the cold with all the issue i had this last weekend.

Setup sheet attached,

Lately i have tested more light diff oils since our track is very tight and everyone seems to run light oils. I found out to have much more turn in off power entry. But lost a lot of off power brakinig steering. So i might try to go a bit thicker all round.

Servo is an KO RSX H.C. Response
First of all go to the 0,9mm front anti rollbar.
2 degrees rear toe-in
Go back to 1 degree of front toe
More front camber
Rear upper arm to inner lower hole

But the whole setup looks a bit weird to me, maybe this is what the track needs but judging from the video it looks pretty normal.

It's not weird for the handling to change when the amount of grip increases. If the car has been understeering slightly in low grip most of the time it will only get worse when the amount of grip increases.

If the changes listed above don't make the car better I would suggest trying the 'Mach' setup from my site:

http://www.capricornrc.nl/ExportBest...stede&Type=pdf

This setup seems to work for most drivers and most tracks. Like every setup you should copy it exactly with every single setting the same.
The setup also works with the SRS body but I personally prefer the RS4. The SRS has more turn in but washes out mid corner. The RS4 also feels a lot smoother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.