R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-25-2004, 08:56 AM   #61
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
I have owned the MTX3 and then bought the Serpent 710 when it came out. The 710 to me is the best qualifiying car out there, but for the longer mains I would want the MTX3 myself. Not that the 710 wont finish a long main but I hated the fact that if I messed up or someone else messed up and hit me that chances were good something would break. I raced a couple 30 minute mains without problems but after breaking in a warmup due to a minor crash that pulled the rear pivotball out I decided that my Mugen was better suited for me and my environments. Having a few parts on hand will make life easier with a 710 and you shouldnt shy away from it because I feel it might have a slight advantage over the others. My friend impalabob bought a MTX3 off me but ended up getting a great deal on a G4 and loves that. He sold his MTX3 and bought a second G4 if that means anything. We all can give you our reviews and I assure you that there are many different opinions but buy one and you will find that these cars will not be the limiting factor...it will be you. Find what is readily avaliable and what parts support you can get with the car and that should be your choice.
And im the one that bought the 710 from , thanks kevin!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic

amgman... I had the Mugen MTX3 and have driven the Serpent 710. I chose the TM/G4 because it just felt right for me. Guy "B" can have a CEN car and like it... .. lol I feel there is so much untapped about the G4, that like the Mugen the more you have it in your hands, the better the car will become. Don't think because a car comes out every year that it's better then the compitition. I do recall one particular 1/8th scale on road car that was great on paper, but had some many adjustments and over tunable. Very few people could dial the car in or drive it. Serpent had to take a good long look at it and came up with the 950... And as for having the best next new thing out... I do recall The Traxxas N-4TEC Pro coming in 3rd a few years ago at the ROAR nationals... And that car was a Traxxas. It all comes down to the driver and support. As for G4, the steering servo saver issue is a non issue. There is one correct way to install it and many incorrect ways to installing it.... The fuel tank is now the correct size in there new kits... Oh, there a few other cars with incorrect fuel tank sizes winning races.. The R40 comes to mind with it's 71cc tank. And as for the Chassis... The stock is fine, but if you want the G4 to be at the correct weight, get the 3-racing chassis for all of $38.00 US. dollars or the K-factory chassis. Like I posted before, every car has it's pros and cons.. No car is perfect out the box. It takes forums like this one and people at the local tracks with the same car sharing there finding with each other. The Serpent 710 is having growing pains now, the Mugen had it's moments and the G4 also. After having the HPI R40, NTC3 and the Mugen MTX3, I just knew the G4 was right for me. If everyone at your track is running the Serpent or Mugen.... Why be like everyone else? Would you buy a Honda Civic just becasue Guy "C" has a Civic? No... Yes, it's a nice car but I like my Mercedes alittle more then a Honda. Yes the parking lot is 90 percent Honda's.... ie Mugen's... But I'll drive my Mercedes to the track and my G4 on the track... Amgman, Check out the G4 closely. Drive one and see how it feels in your hands behind the wheel... Then test drive the others... They're all great cars....

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:01 AM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Okay I have narrowed it down to two cars. The Team Magic G4 and the Serpent 710. the reason for my choice is that the Serpent has caught up to the Mugen Mtx-3 and has been released only a couple of months ago. I personally think that Serpent didnt have any major upgrades on their cars like the mugens did. The G4 looks really nice to me too. I am going to get a Murnan Modified Engine, but it is not going to be the X12, because have a mugen engine in a non-mugen car seems really weird. If anyone can tell me a good engine(roar legal) that is modified by murnan please make suggestions. I might change my mind again tommorrow, so I am temporaraly excluding the mugen.

Thanks!!!
Nirav Patel
amgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #64
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by amgman
Okay I have narrowed it down to two cars. The Team Magic G4 and the Serpent 710. the reason for my choice is that the Serpent has caught up to the Mugen Mtx-3 and has been released only a couple of months ago. I personally think that Serpent didnt have any major upgrades on their cars like the mugens did. The G4 looks really nice to me too. I am going to get a Murnan Modified Engine, but it is not going to be the X12, because have a mugen engine in a non-mugen car seems really weird. If anyone can tell me a good engine(roar legal) that is modified by murnan please make suggestions. I might change my mind again tommorrow, so I am temporaraly excluding the mugen.

Thanks!!!
Nirav Patel
there re alot of people out there that win alot that dont use a modify motor, if you are just getting into nitro i would get a regular motor like a novamega/ sirio or something along those lines , a modified motor i would leave it to someone with alot of expirience in tuning motors , they are pretty expensive and you dont want to blow them up with impropertuning,( i don't even used a modified motor). my $.02
Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Okay man I'll take your advice, I am going to get this NovaMega engine
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=3187
or....
This NovaMax engine(which I think is roar legal)
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....roducts_id=864

Okay, let me break it down now.
Kit- Serpent 710 or Team Magic G4 Pro Kit(Mugen MTX-3, maybe...)
Engine-Novamega or Novamax both are shown in the links above(if I somehow get the mugen then a X12)
RD Logics One-Piece Pipe
Radio Equipment: KO Propo Helios EX-10 75 FM
2 KO Propo 2344 servos
KO Propo Recevier
Serpent Starter box w/ Glow heater and turbo plugs
40% fuel
Team Orion Fresh Kicks Tires and(if I ever need it) Mono Racing Carpet Foam tires.
There ya have it....,
Now please just help me find the better engine of the two that are shown and help me choose between the 710 and G4.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Quote:
Okay I have narrowed it down to two cars. The Team Magic G4 and the Serpent 710. the reason for my choice is that the Serpent has caught up to the Mugen Mtx-3 and has been released only a couple of months ago. I personally think that Serpent didnt have any major upgrades on their cars like the mugens did.
That's a strange comment but I can understand that if you did not experience the 705 or the Impulse Pro. Mind you, I wouldn't recommend the experience anyway. However, from my experience (I currently drive all three: 710, MTX3 and G4), I will say that you are being misled somewhat ...

The 710 is a major upgrade from the 705 and is more versatile in terms of adjustabilty and set-ups. given that it has a large "sweet spot", it is also easier and friendlier than the MTX3, never mind the G4.

Quote:
The G4 looks really nice to me too.I am going to get a Murnan Modified Engine, but it is not going to be the X12, because have a mugen engine in a non-mugen car seems really weird. If anyone can tell me a good engine(roar legal) that is modified by murnan please make suggestions. I might change my mind again tommorrow, so I am temporaraly excluding the mugen.

Thanks!!!
Nirav Patel
If you're going for looks then one man's meat is another man's poison and no one is going to be able to convince you that the girl you love is ugly!

If you live in the US then you may get support from Murnan but us overseas does not seem to interest him at all. I've been trying to get an engine from him and there was no interst. So I can't comment on whether its a good engine or not.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rc_alan
...Drive one and see how it feels in your hands behind the wheel... Then test drive the others... They're all great cars....

RC_Alan
Good advice.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:41 AM   #68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay man I'll take your advice, I am going to get this NovaMega engine
http://www.mytsn.com/products/desc.asp?prid=3187
or....
This NovaMax engine(which I think is roar legal)
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....roducts_id=864

Okay, let me break it down now.
Kit- Serpent 710 or Team Magic G4 Pro Kit(Mugen MTX-3, maybe...)
Engine-Novamega or Novamax both are shown in the links above(if I somehow get the mugen then a X12)
RD Logics One-Piece Pipe
Radio Equipment: KO Propo Helios EX-10 75 FM
2 KO Propo 2344 servos
KO Propo Recevier
Serpent Starter box w/ Glow heater and turbo plugs
40% fuel
Team Orion Fresh Kicks Tires and(if I ever need it) Mono Racing Carpet Foam tires.
There ya have it....,
Now please just help me find the better engine of the two that are shown and help me choose between the 710 and G4.
Call Art Carbonell , he works for Serpent he is an awsome car builder and he can tune a motor , he can also tell you which novamega is better for you his # is 1-305-639-9665, he can also build the car for you and set it up as well , give him a call he is a very nice person and he is really good in giving advise to other racers.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
The 710 is a major upgrade from the 705 and is more versatile in terms of adjustabilty and set-ups. given that it has a large "sweet spot", it is also easier and friendlier than the MTX3, never mind the G4.
When you say easier and friendlier than a MTX3 in what aspect are you reffering to? Maintenance??
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
When you say easier and friendlier than a MTX3 in what aspect are you reffering to? Maintenance??
Oh ... in terms of not going out of whack when you do set-up adjustments. The old 705 was very sensitive and difficult to optimize to different tracks and racing conditions.

I find the MTX3 has a smaller sweet spot than the 710 but certainly it is a lot better than the 705 (or the G4 for that matter)!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:02 AM   #71
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
Call Art Carbonell , he works for Serpent he is an awsome car builder and he can tune a motor , he can also tell you which novamega is better for you his # is 1-305-639-9665, he can also build the car for you and set it up as well , give him a call he is a very nice person and he is really good in giving advise to other racers.
I prefer to make my own cars becuase i want to know them inside out if a accident happens.
I called them and they told me that the Novamega engine #2106 is the best for the Serpent 710.
looks like the G4 is out of the picture and I am going for the 710.
I still have to test the cars out, but it looks like the 710 is my best bet.
thanks for all the help you guys in helping me choose my setup.
I will post tommorrow after I test all three cars.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:06 AM   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
I call them and they told me that the Novamega engine #2106 is the best for the Serpent 710.
I still have to the cars out, but it looks like the 710 is my best bet.
thats cool , anytime i need expert advised thats who i cal, he recommended me the exhaust pipe that i have on my serpent 710 now!!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:07 AM   #73
Super Moderator

Quote:
I prefer to make my own cars becuase i want to know them inside out if a accident happens.
I called them and they told me that the Novamega engine #2106 is the best for the Serpent 710.
I still have to test the cars out, but it looks like the 710 is my best bet.
thanks for all the help you guys in helping me choose my setup.
I will post tommorrow after I test all three cars.
that is a good choice for a motor!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #74
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
That's a strange comment but I can understand that if you did not experience the 705 or the Impulse Pro.
Sorry, what I meant was that the race at winternats the serpent drivers did not have many upgrades to put on their cars, but the mugen drivers had their cars modified like crazy. What I am saying is that serpent, as they had just came out with the 710, is doing pretty well with their nearly stock setup. 3rd place is not that bad.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #75
Tech Master

Quote:
Sorry, what I meant was that the race at winternats the serpent drivers did not have many upgrades to put on their cars, but the mugen drivers had their cars modified like crazy. What I am saying is that serpent, as they had just came out with the 710, is doing pretty well with their nearly stock setup. 3rd place is not that bad.
Very true but considering the 710 was designed and I believe even tested before the 705 came on the market they have had plenty of time to get the car right. The 705 came about because Serpent was unsure about taking a brand new car to the World Cup in Ohio and so they decided to introduce the 705 to get the maximum performance out of the impulse platform which was rather dated.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote