R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #46
Tech Apprentice

Hey Marcos,
is the driver that you beat have a really good setup on his car? Are you using a stock setup or do you have major modfications on your car.
This is what I have gathered.
Most of the parts on the mugen are made out of carbon fiber.
On the serpent, most of the parts are graphite.
Both are very adjustable.
The mugen has been out their for about 2 years and the Serpent was just released.
Mugen seems to be releasing a 1/8 scale and a 1/10 scale next year.
I am going to wait until friday comes, and I will test the cars at the track(if people let me).
I also heard that replacing a part on a serpent creats a crater in your wallet. I heard the car is very sturdy, but has it's weak spots.
I heard the same stuff about the mugen too.
Man this is a really hard choice......

Thanks!,
Nirav Patel
amgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #47
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by amgman
Hey Marcos,
is the driver that you beat have a really good setup on his car? Are you using a stock setup or do you have major modfications on your car.
This is what I have gathered.
Most of the parts on the mugen are made out of carbon fiber.
On the serpent, most of the parts are graphite.
Both are very adjustable.
The mugen has been out their for about 2 years and the Serpent was just released.
Mugen seems to be releasing a 1/8 scale and a 1/10 scale next year.
I am going to wait until friday comes, and I will test the cars at the track(if people let me).
I also heard that replacing a part on a serpent creats a crater in your wallet. I heard the car is very sturdy, but has it's weak spots.
I heard the same stuff about the mugen too.
Man this is a really hard choice......

Thanks!,
Nirav Patel
i used the stock set up with no mods, the only thing that i change the caster and the roll center. and the prices for the serpent are not that expensive they are a lot cheaper than the old impulse parts.

Last edited by Marcos.J; 03-24-2004 at 09:01 PM.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

Both cars are very good. I've seen the 710 run and every time they seem to handle great. Majority of racers at my track run the Mugen(including myself) with about 1-2 running the 710. The only complaint I've heard about Serpent in general was the parts. If you broke a lower arm, you have to ask for that particular side. You can't buy them in pairs like most cars come in. So for a full set of arms can go for like $9 compared to $6. Sure it's only a couple of dollars but it adds up.

BTW, the only thing thats carbon fiber on the MTX-3 is the upper deck. I don't think Mugen will be releasing an MTX-4 in the near future. The MRX-4 will be out this year. Or so I've heard.
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Default G4 owner here

Hey im marcos buddy with the G4 hey marcos be ready just dropped a JP modified 12.Man the G4 eclass insanely fast Rc alan i bumpup my second gear pinion from 24t to 25t im own 2 G4s now. i hve an mike salven an also got a Rody Reom to not running the Rody yet the JpRt12 S3 Turbo will handle it business.
impalabob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by Motorman; 03-24-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #51
Tech Adept

Default Re: uh huh

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
uh huh!
WOW..........
You are into selling tires now!?!?!?
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #52
Tech Adept

IMO
to sum it up the serpent is easier to adjust for different tracks because of the easy to access front diff.
the mugen is more durable, both are good fast cars so the choice is yours
btw. if and when mugen makes a mtx4 I think the front diff layout will be set up similar to the 710, and the rear link will probably be
changed to a 3rd pivot ball set up also like the 710 . I just hope the changes don't effect the durability,cause as it is now (mtx3) is very stout.
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #53
Super Moderator

Default Re: G4 owner here

Quote:
Originally posted by impalabob64
Hey im marcos buddy with the G4 hey marcos be ready just dropped a JP modified 12.Man the G4 eclass insanely fast Rc alan i bumpup my second gear pinion from 24t to 25t im own 2 G4s now. i hve an mike salven an also got a Rody Reom to not running the Rody yet the JpRt12 S3 Turbo will handle it business.
Im jealous cant wait to see it run!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:31 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
Originally posted by sbmon
IMO
to sum it up the serpent is easier to adjust for different tracks because of the easy to access front diff.
the mugen is more durable, both are good fast cars so the choice is yours
btw. if and when mugen makes a mtx4 I think the front diff layout will be set up similar to the 710, and the rear link will probably be
changed to a 3rd pivot ball set up also like the 710 . I just hope the changes don't effect the durability,cause as it is now (mtx3) is very stout.
My machinist/engineer friend has designed a one way/ solid front axle similiar to the Serpent 710 for the MTX3. I will show it to you Friday night if you are racing sbmon.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
My machinist/engineer friend has designed a one way/ solid front axle similiar to the Serpent 710 for the MTX3. I will show it to you Friday night if you are racing sbmon.
hey dont let jorge find out about that!
Old 03-25-2004, 03:06 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

impalabob64.... This should be over on the G4 thread... Did you just change the clutch gear to 25 and left the spur gear stock"47"??? Or did you also change the spur gear to 46??? What was the difference in speed and was there any drop off between 1st and 2nd??? Can't wait to hear your findings... Holla back soon. I change my spur gear from stock 47 to now 46... Big difference also, but you'll see a bigger speed increase by changing the clutch gear like you did then the spur gear like I did... Sorry Serpent and Mugen fans for this posting... As I said before... All the top companies produces cars that can handle very well... Mugen keeps there products out awhile longer and you get your money's worth... Serpent makes great cars also, it's just that who wants to buy a new every year??? Some do and some don't... I must say though that the 710 is light years better then the 705... That said, I'll still take my G4 over any car on the market today... ... But there's always tomorrow...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:22 AM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Hey rc alan,
Have you used both cars? And why did you buy the G4, cause now I am interested in it. Do you do well against the mugens and the serpent in your track?
amgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:40 AM   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey rc alan,
Have you used both cars? And why did you buy the G4, cause now I am interested in it. Do you do well against the mugens and the serpent in your track?
my friend at my local track has one "impalabob64" and that car is very nice
Old 03-25-2004, 08:09 AM   #59
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hey rc alan,
amgman, the G4 is a very good car but standard it has a very weak chassis, steering servo saver issues and an undersized fuel tank, I've read on one of the forum threads that the issues with the servo saver should be addressed in an updated kit to be released soon, I beleive the tank has already been updated, but not sure about the chassis. Spares are very reasonably priced along with the K-Factory options. I drive the 710 which is an excellent car, there are some durability issues which are being dealt with but this is the price you pay for a lighter car, a lot of guys whine that Serpent update or change their cars regularly but personally I would much rather that than no development at all. The Mugen again is a very good car but then it should be because it's a combined copy of most other manufacturers cars, the reason they don't change items regularly is because they wait for others to develop them first (just kidding).

All 3 cars are very good, there is also a few others that you probably should consider, just remember all cars have issues and different cars suit different drivers. Go for the one that has best spares support in your area and gives the best on-line support in these forums, because that can be invaluable.

Good Luck

Mark
Diesel Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Quote:
Originally posted by Diesel Racer
amgman, the G4 is a very good car but standard it has a very weak chassis, steering servo saver issues and an undersized fuel tank, I've read on one of the forum threads that the issues with the servo saver should be addressed in an updated kit to be released soon, I beleive the tank has already been updated, but not sure about the chassis. Spares are very reasonably priced along with the K-Factory options. I drive the 710 which is an excellent car, there are some durability issues which are being dealt with but this is the price you pay for a lighter car, a lot of guys whine that Serpent update or change their cars regularly but personally I would much rather that than no development at all. The Mugen again is a very good car but then it should be because it's a combined copy of most other manufacturers cars, the reason they don't change items regularly is because they wait for others to develop them first (just kidding).

All 3 cars are very good, there is also a few others that you probably should consider, just remember all cars have issues and different cars suit different drivers. Go for the one that has best spares support in your area and gives the best on-line support in these forums, because that can be invaluable.

Good Luck

Mark
I have owned the MTX3 and then bought the Serpent 710 when it came out. The 710 to me is the best qualifiying car out there, but for the longer mains I would want the MTX3 myself. Not that the 710 wont finish a long main but I hated the fact that if I messed up or someone else messed up and hit me that chances were good something would break. I raced a couple 30 minute mains without problems but after breaking in a warmup due to a minor crash that pulled the rear pivotball out I decided that my Mugen was better suited for me and my environments. Having a few parts on hand will make life easier with a 710 and you shouldnt shy away from it because I feel it might have a slight advantage over the others. My friend impalabob bought a MTX3 off me but ended up getting a great deal on a G4 and loves that. He sold his MTX3 and bought a second G4 if that means anything. We all can give you our reviews and I assure you that there are many different opinions but buy one and you will find that these cars will not be the limiting factor...it will be you. Find what is readily avaliable and what parts support you can get with the car and that should be your choice.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote