R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default Help me build my Kyosho V-ONE RRR SHIMO Ed!

So I've decided to buy the Kyosho V-ONE RRR SHIMO Edition kit.

Now, I am a newb here but not to building and modifying nitro road cars. My first was an HPI Nitro RS4 3 SS 10 years ago. I've been out of the scene for many years and am very behind on the advances in tech and brands/quality so that's why I have come here asking for your help! I don't race in any specific class, I'm only out to have fun, but want the best now that I can afford it and have the experience.

I'm primarily looking for recommendations for engine/pipe/header, 2.4GHz pistol grip system, and HD servos.

A) Who currently makes the best HD servo kit right now for this? Nothing fancy, just precise and tough as nails.

B) What is bar-none the baddest, fastest, most powerful engine I can slam in this bad boy?! Some huge insane sick ass Picco? Anything more over the top out there?! Simple question huh lol! How about a great header/pipe to go with it?

C) Since I'm not hard core pro racer, there are allot of features I am seeing on the top-of-the-line radio systems out today that I simply don't have need for. What is the best quality 2.4GHz pistol grip system available without being too much and not being "cheap". I want something with a great feel, range, reliability, etc.

I guess I'll ask for 1 more suggestion, wheels/tires. I do allot of drifting as well and have always had big problems keeping tires on the wheels no matter what combo or adhesive I tried in the past. I've seen the new foam sets. Which of them will hold up the best to the abuses of drifting?

Thanks!

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default

So reading the pdf manual, it says "Only Pilot shaft with slide carb engine without pull starter rear exhaust is available". So I'm considering this Picco from Kamikaze:

Kamikaze Team Edition Picco P9R ($460)

What's going to be the best header and pipe for this sucker?

I trust the Picco brand due to past experience plus I kinda want to do a clear 200mm Pagani Zonda body so I can see all the blue/silver/black parts through the body.

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
wizby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: indiana
Posts: 487
Default

Probably have some trouble squeezeing in a P9R its a .21.
You want a good .12 like a nova or rb.
__________________
XRAY NT1 2014 NOVA KEEPON DX3R
MIKE PARKER PRESIDENT
NORTHERN INDIANA TEAM RACING ORG. MIDWEST SERIES TEAM DIRECTOR
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default

That sucks because I want a big torquey engine that will be suited for drifting as well. I didn't want some tiny high-revving engine

No way to make it fit this kit? What other large engines will fit?

I might have to go with another kit then....
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
staikosn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 295
Send a message via MSN to staikosn1
Default

I am very happy with my team orion 1007 servos both steering,ac/br. Its second season with them now. You should take a look, very good servos in a decent price.
If you want a beast the only way is RB T9RC or T9 Murnan Modified.
__________________
XRAY NT1 || RB T10 RC || FUTABA BLS || SANWA M11 ||
#FANATIX MODELS# #www.frt.gr#
staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I would go with:
futaba 451 brushless digital serovs x2
futaba 3pks, or futaba 4pk radio
Murnan rbm3 it is faster than the t9 Rc and Murnan rb t9
novarossi 2652 pipe with short manifold.

That's if you want the best
HoboShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
staikosn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Greece
Posts: 295
Send a message via MSN to staikosn1
Default

Also you can go with low profile servos and lipo or life battery!!
__________________
XRAY NT1 || RB T10 RC || FUTABA BLS || SANWA M11 ||
#FANATIX MODELS# #www.frt.gr#
staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
ugglasdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 166
Default

why did u get a kyosho v rr one if u are going to drift and bash in parking lots? you should also go with a .12 engine. which is wat the car was made for
ugglasdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default

Because from the research I did online it appeared to be the best around that wasn't an insane mount of money.

I'm looking into the current .12 engines now. I might end up going to a 1/8 scale to have fun with the bigger .21 and .28 engines. I just don't know yet...
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Tech Adept
 
ugglasdav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 166
Default

sometimes engine size isnt everything. a good nova or Rb .12 will be very fast in a rrr
ugglasdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 480
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Because from the research I did online it appeared to be the best around that wasn't an insane mount of money.

I'm looking into the current .12 engines now. I might end up going to a 1/8 scale to have fun with the bigger .21 and .28 engines. I just don't know yet...
...and just what research was that!?!?

There alot of other cars you could have gotten for less to do what you're stating.

Oh well the damage is done......or maybe not. Sell your car to one of the serious racers and then get the HPI RS4 evo 3 if you want to drift...you'll have plenty of mony left for upgrades if you really want to go that route.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Tech Regular
 
fastharryDOTcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: http://www.fastharry.com NJ
Posts: 303
Default

the fact that you are looking for the sickest engine in a pro level car just to have fun (drifting) with shows you are ready for neither. That whole combo is wrong for what you want it for.
__________________
visit fastharry.com We are always updating the site with new cars and cool rc stuff.
old user name "fastharry"Posts: 2,845 Original join date 2001..HPI Challenge Winner.
fastharryDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,276
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
B) What is bar-none the baddest, fastest, most powerful engine I can slam in this bad boy?! Some huge insane sick ass Picco? Anything more over the top out there?! Simple question huh lol! How about a great header/pipe to go with it?

C) Since I'm not hard core pro racer, there are allot of features I am seeing on the top-of-the-line radio systems out today that I simply don't have need for. What is the best quality 2.4GHz pistol grip system available without being too much and not being "cheap". I want something with a great feel, range, reliability, etc.

I guess I'll ask for 1 more suggestion, wheels/tires. I do allot of drifting as well and have always had big problems keeping tires on the wheels no matter what combo or adhesive I tried in the past. I've seen the new foam sets. Which of them will hold up the best to the abuses of drifting?

Thanks!
OS made a .18 TZ that I believe fits in a .12's mount (for the revo offroad truck) and that would have the torque you are looking for and you may have to figure something out for the clutch but it should fit.

Best radio around the price you want is the spekrum

ATS/Twister tire sidewalls hold up extremely well and resist chunking, but all foams will chunk to some degree. You may want to stick with rubber, same hex size.
__________________
Support those that support us

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
OS made a .18 TZ that I believe fits in a .12's mount (for the revo offroad truck) and that would have the torque you are looking for and you may have to figure something out for the clutch but it should fit.

Best radio around the price you want is the spekrum

ATS/Twister tire sidewalls hold up extremely well and resist chunking, but all foams will chunk to some degree. You may want to stick with rubber, same hex size.
The OSMG2110

Sweet, only $149!!! Thanks!
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 91
Default

Ok, this is my list thus far. What do you guys think so far?

I still need to choose a 7.2v battery pack and some wheels/tires, pipe/header, & tire setter. Anything else I'm missing?! I also changed from O'Donnell fuel to Byron 20%.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help me build my Kyosho V-ONE RRR SHIMO Ed!-shop_list.jpg  

Last edited by 92GTA; 01-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.
92GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net