Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
I Messed Up My Engine Bolt Screws! Plz Help! >

I Messed Up My Engine Bolt Screws! Plz Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Messed Up My Engine Bolt Screws! Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation I Messed Up My Engine Bolt Screws! Plz Help!

...i cant believe this is happening...i am so ticked off. When i tried to unscrew my engine bolt screws, i messed up one of the screws. The grove is completely gone, and i cant take it out, especially with the red thread lock.

WHAT CAN I DO?! IS MY CAR DESTROYED?!

sigh..this is my first time and ive solved whole bunch of problems before this, but this one has really pissed me off bad...and the track opens tommorow!! ..ive been waiting for this day for ages and now i totally ruined my car....

the pics are here:http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=484b.jpg

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...9a.jpg&.view=t

sorry about the unclear pics..i couldnt egt a good shot with my camera, it was too close...

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!
Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Tech Addict

Easy!! Just get a Dremel too ith a cutoff wheel and make one big slot using one of the existing two slots for the Phillips screw. Then get a big flat blade screwdriver that fits the slot well and unscrew it. Here's the important part many people don't do... Take that screw and throw it as far into the bushes as you can! It was bad luck and you don't want any part of it, just get a new screw

NOTE: If that fails you can always drill with a drill bit the size of the threads until the head comes off of the screw. Once the chassis separates you can grab the remainder with a pair of vice grips and unscrew it.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default bolt

Do as FRAZ said and it will come out no problem....once you are done just don't pitch that screw chuck all 4 screws after your go to the local fasterner center and replace them with "the appropriate "ALLAN HEAD SCREW" in stainless steel...problem solved for practically ever.....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:37 PM
FTSPEEDWAY

plus red locktite is not needed. Blue will do just fine. It will make it easier to remove Later on

Old 03-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

it sounds too complicated...i'll get my LHS to fix it for me...
thanx for all the replies
Old 03-20-2004, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up LHS

Man, I wish I could charge for a stripped mount screw...I would have made a ton of money from myself. LOL

Dremmel=RCers best friend! Kinda like the "bigger hammer" in construction LOL LOL

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Dont cut it off with dremel !!
Just get a hammer, and a round pole or something bigger than the screw head, hit it with the round pole thingy until it has a shape to it, then to improve the shape put a screwdriver in and hit that so it makes the imprint of the screwdriver pattern....
Believe me, try this first before cutting it off.
It worked for 4 rounded head bolts on the heatsink, and it worked for the screws on my backplate too.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by sausage_link
Just get a hammer, and a round pole or something bigger than the screw head, hit it with the round pole thingy until it has a shape to it... snip
Remind me not to lend you anything of mine....

Seriously though, the dremel is the best option. You are not cutting it off, simply slotting the head of the screw so you can use a flat tip screwdriver.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by QuickSilver1024
it sounds too complicated...i'll get my LHS to fix it for me...
thanx for all the replies
Typical RTR mentality
Old 03-21-2004, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sausage_link
Just get a hammer, and a round pole or something bigger than the screw head, hit it with the round pole thingy until it has a shape to it, then to improve the shape put a screwdriver in and hit that so it makes the imprint of the screwdriver pattern....
Believe me, try this first before cutting it off.
It worked for 4 rounded head bolts on the heatsink, and it worked for the screws on my backplate too.
Is it just me, or do I detect a circular problem here.

First, you bash a screwdriver into a bolt head to make a groove, then wonder why said screwdriver has a tendancy to bugger up the slots in some other perfectly good bolts your trying to remove.

But I particularly liked the technical term "round pole thingy"
Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up LMAO

Taylor-racing, you having dying over here!!!

I dunno much, but figured beating things was not a good thing when simply "cutting" a slot on a screw head was simple enough.

I'll get back with everyone later, gonna search for that "BFH" [big freakin' hammer] and that pole thingy and see how that works out.

Ok, it's been ten minutes and my chasis is bent, the screw is still stripped and I'm only closer to giving up on this project up for an ice cold beer!

Sound good?

^5s everyone!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:46 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Well it looks like there is only one screw left. What I normally do when this happens is I unscrew the rest of the components off the chasis. Now that there is room to twist the engine you can turn the whole engine anticlockwise while holding the chasis firm. This will get the screw started.

Cheers

Bill
Old 03-24-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BG
Well it looks like there is only one screw left. What I normally do when this happens is I unscrew the rest of the components off the chasis. Now that there is room to twist the engine you can turn the whole engine anticlockwise while holding the chasis firm. This will get the screw started.

Cheers

Bill
t hat how i done it before...
Old 03-24-2004, 05:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by BG
anticlockwise
This sounds like going back in time to when the screw was still good!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can probably use EZ-outs from Sears. Don't use red lock tight, blue is strong enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.