Search

Edam Spirit 10th Scale

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Edam Spirit 10th Scale

Hi All,

I thought i would start a thread for the Edam Spirit, i race one in Australia with an RB Matrix fitted (i have an RB T9 i need to run in as well). I was wondering what sort of experiences people have had with this car around the globe. I have mainly had 2 speed issues which Edam are working very hard on to rectify i believe, also found that some of the plastics tend to strip very easy when tightening the screws. Apart from the 2 speed issue i find the car to be very tunable in the suspension and very easy to drive once set up well. I also see that Edam are releasing a lot of hop ups for it now like the adjustable ackerman, thicker top plate for high traction tracks, carbon fibre battery mount, titanium lay shafts and aluminium top front arm supports. In Australia we machine down an Exer brake disc to fit to the Sprirt to give better braking and use the updated brake shoe material as well. Anyway i look forward to hearing feedback with what people have done with there Edam Sprirt and there results as well.

Cheers Michael

Last edited by Mike 78; 06-26-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike 78
Hi All,

I thought i would start a thread for the Edam Spirit, i race one in Australia with an RB Matrix fitted (i have an RB T9 i need to run in as well). I was wondering what sort of experiences people have had with this car around the globe. I have mainly had 2 speed issues which Edam are working very hard on to rectify i believe, also found that some of the plastics tend to strip very easy when tightening the screws. Apart from the 2 speed issue i find the car to be very tunable in the suspension and very easy to drive once set up well. I also see that Edam are releasing a lot of hop ups for it now like the adjustable ackerman, thicker top plate for high traction tracks, carbon fibre battery mount, titanium lay shafts and aluminium top front arm supports. In Australia we machine down an Exer brake disc to fit to the Sprirt to give better braking and use the updated brake shoe material as well. Anyway i look forward to hearing feedback with what people have done with there Edam Sprirt and there results as well.

Cheers Michael
I am running the Spirit in the USA under the Pursuit SPT1 label and I agree with you on the plastics. They are too soft in general causing flex and being easily stripped so you end up using really long screws. The 2 speed can be adapted from the kyosho rrr if you really want it gone before they resolve it but I don't really have any problems although I run new parts most of the time.

I am also using kyosho evolva shocks because the Edam shock bladder isn't as precise (or as well known) to me.

Get long pivot balls all the way around (I believe the kit comes with shorts for one end) and it will save you some trouble and let you buy ti for the rears while you are at it.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
I am running the Spirit in the USA under the Pursuit SPT1 label and I agree with you on the plastics. They are too soft in general causing flex and being easily stripped so you end up using really long screws. The 2 speed can be adapted from the kyosho rrr if you really want it gone before they resolve it but I don't really have any problems although I run new parts most of the time.

I am also using kyosho evolva shocks because the Edam shock bladder isn't as precise (or as well known) to me.

Get long pivot balls all the way around (I believe the kit comes with shorts for one end) and it will save you some trouble and let you buy ti for the rears while you are at it.
Hi Brian, yeah i'm looking at buying the extended pivot balls at the moment, this is so you can use a zero offset wheels am i correct ??? i'm also using the Xray t2 shocks with Kyosho light blue springs but in saying this the new nylon piston for the standard Edam shock that they now have work just as good. The 2 speed is ok but i just find it to be inconsistent every once in a while.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also drive the Edam Spirit in the USA. I look forward many great times with this car!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

I am running a Spirit and I like the car. I don't have any problem with the two speed as I am still running the shoes came with the kit. For the shocks I find it binding so I only use 1 o-ring with 3 plastic washers and it seems to work quite well. The only issue I had so far is the with pivot balls as the will come loose and change the setup.... I just put a small drop of CA on the thread but it still come loose some time.... I like the car as it have tons of steering compare to my old nt1 or rrr.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike 78
Hi Brian, yeah i'm looking at buying the extended pivot balls at the moment, this is so you can use a zero offset wheels am i correct ??? i'm also using the Xray t2 shocks with Kyosho light blue springs but in saying this the new nylon piston for the standard Edam shock that they now have work just as good. The 2 speed is ok but i just find it to be inconsistent every once in a while.
I didn't have an instruction manual, so I honestly can't say if the shorts are for the front or the back so I put the long ones on the front where it made the most sense because I tend to run 2mm offset rear tires anyway but I have swapped out the rear pivot balls for 3racing titanium long style so it is a quick change to run 0mm rear wheels.

unfortunately edam didn't research spring rates (or length) very well, so you are right on with the kyosho light blues. I run the medium blues on kyosho shocks but I come from a kyosho background so I am very familiar with that shock and how the orings affect it and how the bladder can be adjusted but I have been working with the edam shocks to try and get the feel right, I wish they would make a flat bladder in two different harnesses instead of the rounded one.

Try kyosho or xray springs in the 2speed, or just use new springs often. The design is good, its just kind of like the nt1's when it came out.. needs some work, remember this is a first edition 10th scale for these guys.

the pivot balls coming loose is an example of the soft plastic I am afraid, I use tamiya locktite because it stays semi-fluid and allows you a couple of adjustments without movement before you have to back them out and re-do it unlike CA, just a tip.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

i found that the new harder 2 speed spring that Edam have makes it a lot better than the first edition but still every once in a while it changes shift points. i will take on board the comment with tamiya glue i will get some and keep it in my toolbox to tell the truth i have not had an issue yet with the pivot balls moving during run time. thanks for the feedback keep it coming i think this car has a lot of potential once the little issues are all ironed out.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Edam Spirit

Her are some more pic's of my car. Getting ready to run the T9 in on the weekend. Who else has got pictures of there Edam Spirit 1/10th scales ???????

Cheers Michael

Last edited by Mike 78; 06-26-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am pleased to see some discussion about the Edam Spirit. My Pursuit SPT1 is on it's way thanks to Terry @ Pursuit. Keep the feedback coming i am enjoying the read...

I am off to Bundaberg now for distillery duties!

BB
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
I didn't have an instruction manual, so I honestly can't say if the shorts are for the front or the back so I put the long ones on the front where it made the most sense because I tend to run 2mm offset rear tires anyway but I have swapped out the rear pivot balls for 3racing titanium long style so it is a quick change to run 0mm rear wheels.

unfortunately edam didn't research spring rates (or length) very well, so you are right on with the kyosho light blues. I run the medium blues on kyosho shocks but I come from a kyosho background so I am very familiar with that shock and how the orings affect it and how the bladder can be adjusted but I have been working with the edam shocks to try and get the feel right, I wish they would make a flat bladder in two different harnesses instead of the rounded one.

Try kyosho or xray springs in the 2speed, or just use new springs often. The design is good, its just kind of like the nt1's when it came out.. needs some work, remember this is a first edition 10th scale for these guys.

the pivot balls coming loose is an example of the soft plastic I am afraid, I use tamiya locktite because it stays semi-fluid and allows you a couple of adjustments without movement before you have to back them out and re-do it unlike CA, just a tip.
brian or anyone else.
do you know if the edam's front and rear hubs can be used in the rrr?
thanks!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

The plastics on the bulk heads, A arms, hubs and some other parts are now, or will be in a short time, available in upgraded harder plastic so flex will not be a problem and pivot balls and other screws will not loosen.

There are a lot of exciting parts coming out for the Spirit that is going to make this car kick some butt! I have to say Edam is working very hard and very smart in making a good competitive car even better.

I am building a Spirit right now and when done I will take some pics. I am building this car first with stock parts. Other than the upgraded plastic parts and the 2.5 radio tray. I want to see how this car drives and then add different upgrades. I like to see how much the car changes with the additions. Just something fun to do. Nice to be retired!!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys, we've just taken on the UK supply of Edam models. Will be running them at nationals having changed from using Serpent 720's last year. Did some testing first before deciding to make change, were very impressed. Will be looking to get more drivers using them. Good to have this thread for help and info.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Some picture of my Edam during the 4hours race last month. BTW: I am not sure if they use different materials for the Edam and the SPT1 as the arm on the Edam is very hard. I broke one and the plactic is mix with fibers, not sure if it is carbon fiber or glass fiber. The issue I have with the pivot ball is it will not grip to the a-arm as the plastic is so hard. Especially after some use and the nitro go onto the thread......
Attached Thumbnails Edam Spirit 10th Scale-img_9297.jpg   Edam Spirit 10th Scale-img_9458.jpg   Edam Spirit 10th Scale-img_9554.jpg  

Last edited by gpm-parts.com; 01-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My Mrs is going to kill me reading all this while i am on holidays with her... Thanks guys
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default the wife

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
My Mrs is going to kill me reading all this while i am on holidays with her... Thanks guys
Hi Bundy,

Don't worry about the wife i seem to find that i'm always in S@#T it is only the depth that varies. Why did you purchase a pursuit what are the differences and do you plan on selling this one as well .

Cheers Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.