R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-26-2004, 08:31 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default Re: I Messed Up My Engine Bolt Screws! Plz Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by QuickSilver1024
...i cant believe this is happening...i am so ticked off. When i tried to unscrew my engine bolt screws, i messed up one of the screws. The grove is completely gone, and i cant take it out, especially with the red thread lock.

WHAT CAN I DO?! IS MY CAR DESTROYED?!

sigh..this is my first time and ive solved whole bunch of problems before this, but this one has really pissed me off bad...and the track opens tommorow!! ..ive been waiting for this day for ages and now i totally ruined my car....

the pics are here:http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...&.dnm=484b.jpg

http://ca.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...9a.jpg&.view=t

sorry about the unclear pics..i couldnt egt a good shot with my camera, it was too close...

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!

Dont worry about the striped out screw , it happens to everyone at one point or another.
Sometimes some gritty mechanics hand cleaner on the tip of the screwdriver will give you the extra grip to get the screw out. After you get the screw out, go to a good tool store and get a high quality screwdriver # 2, make sure in the future you apply plenty of pressure when taking them out. Or you could buy some allen screws : And ignore the negative coment you saw posted.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Yep. It happens to the best of us. 16yrs and I still manage to strip at least 4 a month. lol

Using decent hex wrenches etc will minimise it but you will never overcome it.

Snap-On, Hudy, Team-Titan, and some others are all real good and worth the investment.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:01 AM   #18
Tech Master

when you guys say use blue loctite do you guys mean the bottle of the loctite or the liquid that comes out of it? as the liquid that comes out of my loctite is blue but the bottle is red and the number of the bottle is 243. am i in good hands? or have i got bad news coming? also i only applied it on 2 screws with just a little bit on the thread towards the head of the screw.
*fingers crossed*
Old 03-31-2004, 06:14 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by BrainTeased
when you guys say use blue loctite do you guys mean the bottle of the loctite or the liquid that comes out of it? as the liquid that comes out of my loctite is blue but the bottle is red and the number of the bottle is 243. am i in good hands? or have i got bad news coming? also i only applied it on 2 screws with just a little bit on the thread towards the head of the screw.
*fingers crossed*
You have been told correctly. The liquid should be blue. It acts like a holding agent whereas the red liquid acts like a superglue. A lot of people say to use it on the engine block mounting screws but personally I have never done so. If you are using philips head screws to mount the engine the proper sized driver should provide ample torque to be sure the screws are tight enough not to come loose. Its inevtiable that you will strip the head out of a philips style screw. I have recently wrung one out without using any loctite. If you can find them I would personally recommend using a hex head bolt to mount the engine to the chassis. The hex socket is far more robust and will not strip.

Heres a picture of the type I mean

http://www.nuts-bolts.shoppingcartsp...756/448361.htm

(NOTE- This is not the correct size. It was just the first picture I found of the correct type)
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:23 AM   #20
Tech Master

Thanks and yea ill need to get a set of allen head screws asap