R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Getting into Nitro racing Help please!

I am going to race at my local track Gas ONRoad!
I want to know whats a decent car that i can start out with that is not to expensive and is upgradeable
I was looking at NTC3 Hpi rs4

LMK TY!

Also If you can give me some tips on on road nitro racing that will be great
Clairvoyant16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive had a ntc3 for about 3 years and never had a problem with and also it handles well and it easy to work with i would buy the ntc3 i think there more reliable cause my friend had a hpi and it was hell lol
salabarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I started out with a NTC3 and raced it for 3 years. I think I would have been better off buying a used car of better guality. Like a serpent 720, kyosho V-one-R, mugen MTX-4 or xray NT1. If you had said you were bashing the ntc3 or rs4 would be fine. My complaint with the NTC3 was it breaks to easy. Touching any of the walls broke and arm or pivot ball and the diffs gears and cases ddn't last very long. I went through 5 or 6 pipes because the stinger sticks out past the left side tires.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default the ntc3

is my car of choice

just my 2 cents

thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 1evo RRR Driver

I would take a good look at the kyosho v one s and the xray nt1R, I dought u will find better cars that can b upgraded....
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most of the serious racers would tell you to get a car that your local hobby shop/track carries or what most people that race there are running. That way you can get help with setup, tips and what not. While this is mainly true, I would say getting a late, used, race model. ( Kyosho V1-RR or RRR, Mugen MTX-3 or MTX-4, Team Magic GR4S or J) Any help you need with the car you choose, you can find in old threads here on the forum.

You'll save plenty of money by buying a car that is race ready and not cost you an arm and a leg by buying brand new cheap car and having to upgrade or paying a fortune for a top shelf race kit (that you're not ready for) and wreck it after a couple of races. There are plenty of guys on this forum that are looking to sell their late model (that's still in great shape and has lots of parts) so they can get the latest car on the market. This is nothing but a win/win situation (providing you don't get a scammer) It almost like recycling in a way.

Once you get your feet wet and and experienced the racing and see what other things you have to do and buy to keep car running and once your skill level improves, if you stay at it long enough, then go for one of the newer kits, which you build yourself and race competetively.

Stay away from the NTC3 or HPI RS4 unless you just plan on parking lot bashing or drag racing. As noted the NTC3 breaks arms very easily and strips differential gears easily. The HPI would require spending about another $150 in chassis upgrades to make it race competetive. Top that off with the many upgrades available for the car and next thing you know, your $300 car cost you $400 to $550. Mind you, the HPI is a good basher (beginner) car, though.

I hope that helped you some by giving you something to think about. Talk to the guys that run at yoru track, but remember their word, like mine is not law. It just suggestion. G' luck

Last edited by Kyo83; 01-19-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairvoyant16 View Post
I am going to race at my local track Gas ONRoad!
I want to know whats a decent car that i can start out with that is not to expensive and is upgradeable
I was looking at NTC3 Hpi rs4

LMK TY!

Also If you can give me some tips on on road nitro racing that will be great
I have a beginner section and some basic nitro tuning videos at my Website that you may find helpful. The beginner section is still in draft form, but I think you'll get a better idea of what car might be right for you.

http://nitrokb.netne.net/index.html

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Excellent read Hawaii

As a veteran of 10 years, I can easily say I wish I had this guide when I first started the hobby.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
Excellent read Hawaii

As a veteran of 10 years, I can easily say I wish I had this guide when I first started the hobby.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
Most of the serious racers would tell you to get a car that your local hobby shop/track carries or what most people that race there are running. That way you can get help with setup, tips and what not. While this is mainly true, I would say getting a late, used, race model. ( Kyosho V1-RR or RRR, Mugen MTX-3 or MTX-4, Team Magic GR4S or J) Any help you need with the car you choose, you can find in old threads here on the forum.

You'll save plenty of money by buying a car that is race ready and not cost you an arm and a leg by buying brand new cheap car and having to upgrade or paying a fortune for a top shelf race kit (that you're not ready for) and wreck it after a couple of races. There are plenty of guys on this forum that are looking to sell their late model (that's still in great shape and has lots of parts) so they can get the latest car on the market. This is nothing but a win/win situation (providing you don't get a scammer) It almost like recycling in a way.

once you get your feet wet and and experienced the racing and see what other things you have to do and buy to keep car running and once your skill level improves, if you stay at it long enough, then go for one of the newerr kits which you build yourself and race competetively.

Stay away from the NTC3 or HPI RS4 unless you just plan on parking lot bashing or drag racing. As noted the NTC3 breaks arms very easily and strips differential gears easily. The HPI would require spending about another $150 in chassis upgrades to make it race competetive. Top that off with the many upgrades available for the care and nex thing you know, your $300 car cost you $400 to $550.

I hope that helped you some by giving you something to think about. Talk to the guys that run at yoru track, but remember their word, like mine is not law. It just suggestion. G' luck

That is the best advice ever, way better than spending hours reading. Go to the track and hobby shop, intro yourself when the guys are not racing, and tell them what you want to do. I think you will get valuable info that way.

I know when I started in 1996, I went to my LHS, asked about getting into the hobby, and bought my first car. All the guys were helpful and I had a great time.

Have any other questions, email me through fastharry.com
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom View Post
That is the best advice ever, way better than spending hours reading. Go to the track and hobby shop, intro yourself when the guys are not racing, and tell them what you want to do. I think you will get valuable info that way.

I know when I started in 1996, I went to my LHS, asked about getting into the hobby, and bought my first car. All the guys were helpful and I had a great time.

Have any other questions, email me through fastharry.com
+1
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
... way better than spending hours reading.
I disagree. People should do both.

When I first got in, I did exactly what you said. I went to the hobby store, I went to the track and talked to some people and while I got some good info, I got some bad info as well. And the problem is, because I didn't know better, I unknowingly made some bad choices based on what I was told.

As an example, I remember at least three people telling me that I should get a Kyosho kit because I'm new and Kyosho kits are easy. I found out later that two of those guys are the fast guys that drive Mugens at our track! And is a MTX-4 any more difficult to put together, setup or drive compared to a RRR? Absolutely not!

You also have to admit, that some stores are just going to sell you what they have in stock and won't necessarily recommend a different product that is out of stock or they don't carry. Some might do that, you can't guarantee that. If all they're selling is RS4s, TC3s and cheap engines from China, then that's what they're going to try and sell you. And if you don't know better, that's what you're going to buy.

I agree that people are helpful. I agree that those new to the hobby should go to the track and shop - but they should really do some research as well so that they can make an informed decision. You may not think that's good advice, but I do.

If they don't like reading, because if they read more than a few sentences, they're eyes roll back into their head and they lapse into a coma - well then that's their problem.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Tech Regular

when I first went in, not knowin anything, they told me to buy a kyosho spyder as that was the car everyone was running.

Bur because of all reading I did, I believed I could beat everyone with a 2wd Nitro DS because the car was lighter, 2wd is easier maintenance, and the car would be better on a parking lot surface.

I ended up buying a Spyder and was way happier. My point is that reading is good, but doing is better...

Half the crap a newcomer is gonna read is not gonna make any sense till he starts getting into the game anyway.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Well i dont know any "GOOD" RTR cars or atleast that i can jsut use my reciever and transmitter..
I was just thinking ntc3 because it seems like a good car for a starter... but i guess not..
Clairvoyant16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
when I first went in, not knowin anything, they told me to buy a kyosho spyder as that was the car everyone was running.

Bur because of all reading I did, I believed I could beat everyone with a 2wd Nitro DS because the car was lighter, 2wd is easier maintenance, and the car would be better on a parking lot surface.

I ended up buying a Spyder and was way happier. My point is that reading is good, but doing is better...

Half the crap a newcomer is gonna read is not gonna make any sense till he starts getting into the game anyway.

Ah, that clears things up.

...and you're right, some of it won't make any sense at all. That's why I'm trying to write my articles so that most will people will understand it.