R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-10-2002, 03:40 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Nitro on road car choices

I started with a nitro HPI RS4 MT, went to electric with a TC3, 1/12 scale and now an X-Ray. I'm thinking of going nitro on road and wondering what car to get. I like the durability and the engineering of the X-Ray. The lot I will be racing on is a little rough I've heard. Maybe I should get what the hobby store guy runs since it will have the parts support. Please give me your opinions!
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 05:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

i like the trinity reflex, and the v1r,TC3nitro , then the serpent impulse pro and if you wait team X-Ray has a gas car on its way out and i think that is will be amoung the best of the best. Before people go off on me for not including the MTX2 or the GT4 pro i have a reason and its simple i feel that until they devlope a shoe type clutch for smooth gear changes that wont upset the chassie after it has already taken a set they need not be included, not to say they are not great cars because they are.

this is just my own personal opinion so dont take it personal please!
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

Ok I wont take it personal Yeah the shoe type 2 speed is nice I just upgraded to the Kawahara 2 speed only cause I have a super Modified engine coming this week and i hear it will blow up my stock 2 speed. LOL Question? did none of these cars last year have the cam 2 speed?? Mugen & the GT4 were the only cars that had that type of 2 speed???
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:09 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

to many choices to little time as for the mtx and a shoe 2 speed Kawahara has it covered for us so what ever. I'm keeping my mugen till I see some of these new rides perform for myself.

I have heard that one of those cars that is fairly new is going through a redesign already. I will refrain from saying which as to not upset the applecart.

If you like the X ray get the impulse pro.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
to many choices to little time as for the mtx and a shoe 2 speed Kawahara has it covered for us so what ever. I'm keeping my mugen till I see some of these new rides perform for myself.

I have heard that one of those cars that is fairly new is going through a redesign already. I will refrain from saying which as to not upset the applecart.

If you like the X ray get the impulse pro.

Let me take a guess on the redesigned car. Could it be the tc3??? I just think it is.
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:31 AM   #6
Tech Addict

as for the 2 shoe clutch. Just make your own. I have just finished my stock one off of my GT-4 and made it a 4 shoe. It made it shift a lot smoother. All you have to do is drill little holes and insert a steel pin.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

Quote:
Originally posted by BallPy
as for the 2 shoe clutch. Just make your own. I have just finished my stock one off of my GT-4 and made it a 4 shoe. It made it shift a lot smoother. All you have to do is drill little holes and insert a steel pin.

Im a little confused? You made a cam style 2 speed into A shoe style 2 speed??
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:05 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Sorry, My bad, I ment cam style.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:58 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I would have to say the new car that is getting updated would have to be the Trinity Reflex, that thing is junk!!! The new NTC3 could'nt get much better! Serpent and Mugen owners beware!!
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have a reflex and yes it has some problems like the diffs are junk so i ordered v 1 r diffs and the front bumper mount is weak and easy ti crack so i ordered a v 1 r bumper other than that stuff that trinity is working on the reflex will be what the v 1 r should have been but i guess you have to think of it as a custom car kit that you have to use some different parts to make it good. but those hop ups that you get is a good deal. but we will see this summer.
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:19 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

yeah,th tc3 is getting a redesign......Thats because the best trackside tuner in the business took a year to design a car,a year to test it and decided to release it so he could get busy redesgning version .01......In the meantime,the magazines,consumers,and just about everyone who drives the car loves it.......yep...I see it now........I believe that as much as I believe a certain engine maker is going to be supplying engine blocks to a certain engine tuner after they stop suppling another major tuner(and manufacturer)...........You guys are a bunch of old ladys.......If you got a rumor,spit it out......
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:33 PM   #12

If anybody can get the reflex lined out, Cris Smith can do it! I worked with him some when trinity came out with the TC3 gas conversion, we raced it for 2 season and loved it on the shorter tracks. Trinity makes good products but I think they could have done alot better. Hell the belt pulleys don't even line up, the shocks have to be like you say custom fitted, the assembly manaul leaves alot to be desired also. It looks to me like Trinity used the V1R as a template! Yes we will see this season what its made of, money can buy happiness! If the Reflex is what you want, buy it! But why by a copy when you could have a V1R for around the same money.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:42 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to VinDollar Send a message via Yahoo to VinDollar

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
yeah,th tc3 is getting a redesign......Thats because the best trackside tuner in the business took a year to design a car,a year to test it and decided to release it so he could get busy redesgning version .01......In the meantime,the magazines,consumers,and just about everyone who drives the car loves it.......yep...I see it now........I believe that as much as I believe a certain engine maker is going to be supplying engine blocks to a certain engine tuner after they stop suppling another major tuner(and manufacturer)...........You guys are a bunch of old ladys.......If you got a rumor,spit it out......
Well anything is possible, and the tc3 might not be getting a redesign but it hasn't proven itself to me either. I saw one run and I wasn't too impress and the durability of the car imho is less than desirable. It took a hit that i would consider an unfair kinda hit and was practically total which surprised me. Bent chassis the works. The only thing undamage was the tc3 sticker on this guy body.

A mtx-2 would have took that hit a whole lot better....Once again imho...

Motorman lets put this issue a end to this and let the cat out the bag now.

Let's upset the applecart. Why not? Mugen mtx-2 still rules
VinDollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I've seen an Impulse take a small hit from a HPI,and break both arms.......(guess whos cars they were)....If the angle of the dangle is right,pyhsics says anything is possible.......But overall,from what I've heard,and what i've seen(and I own 2 tc3nitros also),the casr are a tank.......My lhs has been selling a fair amount of both those and HPOi rtr3's........the associated are tougher than the newbie special............
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:53 PM   #15

What do you consider a unfair kinda hit, To do all that damage I would say it was a 40mph t-bone! I have yet to break the first pivot ball on my NTC3, which is another piece everyone seems to say break the easiest. It's funny after we lapped 2 of the fastest mugens in our area the drivers came and asked to drive the NTC3 and after letting them drive it they're mugens were for sale and new NTc3s were in they're hands.