R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default mean 1/10th scale cars with big blocks in them

hello

i found a thread on another site like this and i was wondering if any one on here has 1/10th cars with big blocks in them ? i just started my second one and it is a blast to cram the big blocks in these small and sometimes almost impossible tight situations . my current project is of course the a.e. ntc3 with a ninja jx21-bo1 , i will be repalcing it hopefully before spring with a nice rb mods motor . anyways i got the motor in it and the pipe fitted i m going to shorten the rear end to cram some giant serpent foams on it next as the slim 1/10th foams doesnt grab like you would think they wouldnt with the much bigger motor in it . i will be posting pics as i progress on this project if there is any interest .

thanks and please post pics of yours if you have such beasts

again thanks

Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Tech Regular

The diffs wont take the power. I raced that car for 3 years and a good nova .12 destroyed the diifs on a regular basis. Stock up on ring and pinion gears
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
The diffs wont take the power. I raced that car for 3 years and a good nova .12 destroyed the diifs on a regular basis. Stock up on ring and pinion gears
He's 1000% right. The plastic diffs won't hold a little ole .12 and darn sure won't hold up to a .21 I have built several of 1/10th scale cars with .21 engines and will also tell you that the pipe set up that you have is KILLING top end power no matter what it seems to be doing on the street, the header is waaaaaay too long. When I built a NTC3, I used a XTM header but with a Fusion big block pipe. The fix to the plastic diffs is to use an OFNA LD3 diff case and the steel gearset that comes in that car. Good luck with it and have some fun.
Brent Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Default brent davis

i hope you know your thread on the other site has inspired me to take on the challenge of adding the big blocks to the 1/10th cars . now with that on the table .

currently i m in the process of getting the parts to do the ld3 metal gear upgrade as we speak . just having some trouble finding what exactly i need .

i m also in the process of milling some shorter arms so i can run the big wide tires but again i m having trouble getting thru to wolfpack to get the adaptors as well .

however i m doing what i can each night piece by piece .

here is a pic of why i never thought that the plastic gear would hold up plus it looks like it never even had any oil in it .

and here is a pic of one of the arms that i made earlier tonight . i have to touch it up a bit more before i drill and tap the holes but so far so good .

Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Davis View Post
I have built several of 1/10th scale cars with .21 engines .

Insane !
Please, show us your projects.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra zz View Post
Insane !
Please, show us your projects.
Here's a whole page of stuff for you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8246301/tm.htm

clod, you really don't need to use the 1/8th scale tire combo and getting in touch with wolfepack is almost impossible now. He claims that he isn't making the adapters anymore. I found that the Kawahara tires which gives you a 30mm front and a 40mm rear set work just as good and are a bolt on BUT you still need to pull the rear control arms inward a bit so that a 200mm body will still fit over the tires. I also modified my stock plastic control arms to work and didn't have to make custom ones. As you see, the plastic gears will just keep breaking on you and that gets old and takes the fun out of run-time. Keep your thread alive with lots of updates.

Here's my CD3 with the Kawaharas on it and a 200mm body will fit with no issues at all. I also am using a Xenon ALPHA .21 modified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D07oJU6yBs
Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Very nice material.

I'm into a projet of putting an EB modified 18TZ in a retired Serpent 710 chassis, using Kawahara or Knack-Reed tires.
What's the best diff tuning (front-rear hardness) for a street missil ?
What about 200mm bodies for straight line performance ?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Tech Master

Default sounds good brent

i guess tonight i will start on a new header project . would you happen to have a picture of the xtm header and the fusion pipe so i have some sorta idea where to start ?

lmk

thanks
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod_fan_101 View Post
i guess tonight i will start on a new header project . would you happen to have a picture of the xtm header and the fusion pipe so i have some sorta idea where to start ?

lmk

thanks
I'll look to see if I still have some pics but in the meantime, here's a video of my old NTC3 with a .21 in it and the XTM header and Fusion pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW03UZ41GtU
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Tech Master

Default picure

ok here is a pic that i snapped from your youtube video

the pipe looks a lot like a small block pipe with a lot shorter header (compared to my anaconda header ...lol)

anyways will that produce a lot more top end being a smaller pipe with the shorter header ? what i want for my project is a pipe / header combo that will lack in the low end and produce a nice top end , that way the car will not be out of control on take offs . give me your opinion on that .

i did a little more work on my alloy (shorter) arms tonight . i plan on drilling and tapping the holes tonight , bolt them up and finally start to mill some more off to make them lighter . here is a pic of my progress on the arms .

i m also going to go with the kawahara tires since they are bolt ons .

and no luck at all on the steel diff gears for the rear end . i can find a couple of parts on here for the ld3 but nothing complete . so if any one reading this has one they want to let go of just let me know .

and if any of you guys or gals have any projects or completed projects like this dont be shy and snap some pics and post them

thanks and i will keep you updated on the progress
Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Tech Regular

You guys ever think of just buying a schumacher fusion. Its got a .28 and a three speed trans in a tourer. Or one of the 835 cars they ran big blocks and big tires on a 1/10 chassis.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #12
Tech Master

Here are a few pics of the latest project

CMB RS45 DM With water cooling (not fitted yet)

Or there is this

I also have a Kyosho RRR with Picco .28 FTT AB Stage 3 drag mod

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

not sure if you watched the video but that car was using a bone stock Xenon "R" with the tallest gearing that comes with a NTC3. I later had the engine modded and used short gears for 132' drag racing and the car was a ballistic missle with that small single chamber BB Fusion pipe. The BB header from XTM fit fine and I just had to move the fuel tank up as far as possible with some trimming to make it clear the tank fuel feed line. I know that the Fusion pipe is not the optimum pipe to use but I also wasn't going to have the car looking like a ghetto exhaust fab system so I chose to use the smaller Fusion pipe. I built that NTC3 3 years ago now and have learned ALOT since building more BB 1/10th scale cars which none have been anymore NTC3's simply because of the exhaust layout.........it's horrible for a BB conversion and you can't use the best pipe to get the most out of your engine with that chassis layout. That is why I use the OFNA CD3 instead.

Keep at it as you may find a better way of doing things.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
Tech Master

Default ofna cd3

i m looking out for one at a good price but mean time i m gonna shove the bb into the ntc3 and flirt with getting in to run fast .

i dont care really about what a pain it will be as all i have is time .

thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Tech Master

Default ziggy

that things looks like a missle with wheels

thanks