Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what motor? Rs4 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default what motor? Rs4 2?

I got a chassis from a friend in a box of stuff and he didnt know what any of it was. I was able to piece most of it back together and got it running. Im pretty sure its a HPI Rs4 2 but I need you guys to comfirm that for me. It has a Fantom FR .12 motor on it currently but I want somthing that will really make it scoot for a reasonable price($150-$200).

Damn it wont let me post a pic till I post more
http)://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/cptfbi/2009-12-28150557.jpg
http)://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/cptfbi/2009-12-28150656.jpg

just take out the ")" after the http

Is this a Rs2? Is it any good?
Where does the Fantom motor compare to others?
What motor should I get and what the bigest size I can get?
.12-.18? or can I go bigger?

Thank you guys for the help, im still new to this
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

here are his pics. ( trying to help out the new guy)
welcome to the forum.
it does look like a older rs4, but i am not sure

[url]

Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Tech Rookie

thank you for helping with the photos.
any ideas on the motor?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

There are many options available depending on what you want to do with the car. I'm assuming that you don't want to race it or spend huge amounts of money to get better performance. There are many engines in your price range. I've tested hundreds of engines and the best bang for the buck is the O.S. .18TZ. It's an incredibly powerful engine and it's very high quality.

There are a few things to consider, however, before you choose an engine. The first is what type of exhaust system will you use? The engine that's installed in the car uses a side-exhaust header and pipe. That particular arrangement isn't going to help the power output as it's a standard muffler, and a performance engine would benefit greatly from a tuned pipe. I don't know if you figured that into the dollar amount that you want to spend, but it would be a good investment.

If you are going to get a new exhaust system, then it would be wise to consider a rear exhaust engine. The rear exhaust engines make better horsepower and there are many more tuned exhaust systems for this type of engine.

Are you wanting to retain a pull-starter? Some of the better high-performance engines are not available with a rear exhaust and a pull-starter, but getting an engine without a pull starter will require the purchase of a starter box. The .18 TZ is available with a pull starter.

Slide carb or rotary carb? Slide carbs are more common on high-performance engines. It's really easy to adapt a slide carb to your car - you basically flip the servo around and get a few new linkage pieces from HPI. The engine you're currently running has a rotary carb, so getting an engine with the same type of carb would be the easiest path, but accommodating a slide carb isn't all that difficult.

So, your answers to these questions will help us to help you choose a better engine.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

+1
To what Steve P said about engine upgrade and all.......

but heres something he forgot to tell you. That chassis was not built with the more powerfully moderen engines in mind. So, if you upgrade in horsepower (a la new engine) you certainly will shorten the life of your already used, old transmission. and it also possible that you could tweek the chassis. Especially if you use that OS engine he suggested. That thing is has major torque, which could rip that old chassis to shreds. I'm not trying to scare you away from upgrading I just want to make sure you are aware of the pitfalls. that come with it.

(I've been down this route with and old MTX-2. It was fun but VERY costly. By the time I was finished I could have bought a new car)

Now you could contact HPI Harry and see if he has some hop-up parts that he could sell you or recommend a place that still sell them. Things like the rear and center braces that could help keep the car rigid in the transmission area. Of course, this adds to the cost of your upgrade and soon you'll see its just not worth it.

So unless one of the "old-school" HPI guys is willing to give you some free upgrades I suggest you just play with this car as is and then buy a more modern car when this on dies. Good luck with that and let us know how it goes.

My five cents......

Here is a link to a site that had some chassis upgrades for that car. You can use them for reference, since I'm not sure they're still in business. http://www.megatech.com/hpi_nitro_rs4.html
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Rookie

yeah I have had to beef up a few things since i got it running. when I got the two speed installed I stripped first gear because a screw fell out of the upper engine mount. then when i got that all fixed and lock tighted the screws I stipped the one way bearing the wrong way. So I upgraded that to the heavy duty adapter of the new rs4's. Its been good ever since untill I some how lost a dogbone in the rear about a week ago.

isnt there somthing about the pilot thread that I have to pay attention to as far as being able to attach the clutch bell and flywheel?

I got the chassis for free and Im still kinda new to the serious RC stuff so I can justify learning on this one and maybe getting somthing else later on.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, you have to pay attention to the type of crankshaft, but you can install either type of engine without too much trouble. An engine with a standard threaded crank will drop right in no problem. An engine with a pilot-shaft crank (which is better) will only require a new clutch nut to install the flywheel and clutch assembly. The new clutch nut (available from many different brands) will not have the pilot shaft installed - it will simply be a threaded nut with grooves in it for the clutch springs.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

will it be long enough for the two speed bell? I know the single speed and the two speed pilot shafts were different sizes. I can post pics if you need.

I dont want to get stuck with the single speed if i have the power to stretch out second gear all the way.

by the way thank you I really have been needing this help for a while now and my lhs hasnt been helpful
Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

using a pilot shaft engine will not work with the rs4 series....

need a threaded shaft engine with medium power, a pull start and rotary carb...The car becomes uncontrollable with a modern day (or even a 4 year RB or Nova motor)

whats wrong with the Fantom motor?..
Old 12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Rookie

so threaded shaft got it. kinda limits the options but i dont have to FAB anything. also take the os 18tz out of the picture doesnt it? any other suggested motors?

as far as Fantom goes I just dont know anything about it. I cant find any documentation on it. I dont know where it compares to other motors. Can you guys fill me in on that one?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.FBI
so threaded shaft got it. kinda limits the options but i dont have to FAB anything. also take the os 18tz out of the picture doesnt it? any other suggested motors?

as far as Fantom goes I just dont know anything about it. I cant find any documentation on it. I dont know where it compares to other motors. Can you guys fill me in on that one?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGP7&P=7
Old 12-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.FBI

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe Fantom has dropped out of nitro engine business for the 1/10 scale touring cars some years ago. They seem to be concentrating on buggy and .21 - .27 motors and the electric motors for on-road racing. There still seems to be a few hobby shops around that still have rplacement parts for their touring nitro engines but its not like you find a full engine smaller than .21

Also Harry, sorry for refering to you as HPIHarry instead of fastHarry.....my bad....I think everyone else knew who I was talking about....lol
Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

OK I guess if i stick with this motor, what exhaust and header should I get? can you make a suggestion? Will I really notice a difference over the RTR exhaust?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thought i would ask but do you have the original motor for that rs4 rtr?? my crank shaft broke, and was just wondering if you had the original 15fe

thanks
jeremy
Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by team jeremiah
thought i would ask but do you have the original motor for that rs4 rtr?? my crank shaft broke, and was just wondering if you had the original 15fe

thanks
jeremy

Jeremy, you can trade up for a new motor using HPI's trade in program...

Does your motor run good except for the crank issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.