R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   MT 12 Engine info. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/3577-mt-12-engine-info.html)

ProRacer03 03-09-2002 06:52 PM

MT 12 Engine info.

Hey everyone, For those who remember me I have come back from a long break. For those who don't, I am recently just getting back into the hobby and I have a couple of quesitons.

I recently purchased the Nitro TC3 and would like recommendations for most useful hop-ups and best tuning practices for this car. I just bought the MT 12 engine (Mugen) and would like some feedback on this motor. Mainly is it reliable and is it powerful?

On a side note, I recently stripped a screw on the underbelly of my RS4 2. What would be the best method to get that little sucker out? I appreciate any info.

Thanks Everyone.

Ron.

VinDollar 03-10-2002 08:26 PM

Re: MT 12 Engine info.

Originally posted by ProRacer03
Hey everyone, For those who remember me I have come back from a long break. For those who don't, I am recently just getting back into the hobby and I have a couple of quesitons.

I recently purchased the Nitro TC3 and would like recommendations for most useful hop-ups and best tuning practices for this car. I just bought the MT 12 engine (Mugen) and would like some feedback on this motor. Mainly is it reliable and is it powerful?

On a side note, I recently stripped a screw on the underbelly of my RS4 2. What would be the best method to get that little sucker out? I appreciate any info.

Thanks Everyone.

Ron.

The mt-12 has more than enough competative power. I have ran about 4 gallons or 20% oldonells thru it now without needing a rebuild and running like a champ.

Mr MTX 03-10-2002 09:31 PM

The MT. 12 Rocks! It is a great motor easy to tune also.

It will be more than enough power for now:sneaky:

BallPy 03-12-2002 11:10 AM

As for the stripped screw. Take a small drill bit and drill the center out of the screw. The head of the screw should come off. If it doesnt you may need a bigger drill bit. Then once the screw head is off, just remove the part and take a pair of plyers or something like that and remove the screw.

The MT 12 is a great engine.:cool:

psycho 03-12-2002 04:52 PM

Originally posted by BallPy
As for the stripped screw. Take a small drill bit and drill the center out of the screw. The head of the screw should come off. If it doesnt you may need a bigger drill bit. Then once the screw head is off, just remove the part and take a pair of plyers or something like that and remove the screw.

The MT 12 is a great engine.:cool:

it's easier to use a dremel tool cutting disk to grind a slot in the screw head. Then use a standard screwdriver to unscrew the stripped screw. I agree that the MT12 is an excellent engine. Just break it in right and run it fairly rich and you'll be happy with it.

Old Skool 03-13-2002 07:12 AM

Re: MT 12 Engine info.

Originally posted by ProRacer03
I recently purchased the Nitro TC3 and would like recommendations for most useful hop-ups and best tuning practices for this car.

Save for the steering rack ball bearing kit, the NTC3 doesn't need any hop-ups! That's the beauty of it! Set the car up as per the factory defaults in the manual, it handles great!

BallPy 03-13-2002 07:24 AM

The only problem with using a cutting wheel is if the screw is still flush with the chassis or if it is counter sunk then you will probably cut your chassis while you are putting your cut in the screw head. I guess it all depends on your personal preference.

Schuie Driver 03-13-2002 10:10 AM

Back to the Mugen MT12 for a moment........ :) I purchased this motor (slide carb version) for use in a NTC3 as well and have a question about the size of the screw used in the throttle ball attached to the slide carb. I need to turn the ball to a different position than what comes standard and I have no idea what size wrench fits in this allen screw. I'm assuming this is the screw I should use to perform this task? I also need to know what size nutdriver should be used to rotate the carb completely. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!!

Schuie Driver 03-16-2002 06:27 PM

Hmmm......this thread doesn't seem to get many responses. Another question for anybody who might be reading this.........

Can you make a turbo version of the MT-12 and turn it into a standard version? If so, how would you do it? I think the engine I purchased at my LHS is a turbo version even though it doesn't mention it anywhere on the box. Seems like the glow plug that came with the motor was quite a bit thicker than a standard MC-59 and the MC-59 won't even thread into the top of the head. A friend of mine mentioned that I could just replace the section where the glow plug mounts with a standard engine version and I should be fine. Anybody know if this is true or are there other things I need to watch out for?

Manticore 03-16-2002 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Schuie Driver
Hmmm......this thread doesn't seem to get many responses. Another question for anybody who might be reading this.........

Can you make a turbo version of the MT-12 and turn it into a standard version? If so, how would you do it? I think the engine I purchased at my LHS is a turbo version even though it doesn't mention it anywhere on the box. Seems like the glow plug that came with the motor was quite a bit thicker than a standard MC-59 and the MC-59 won't even thread into the top of the head. A friend of mine mentioned that I could just replace the section where the glow plug mounts with a standard engine version and I should be fine. Anybody know if this is true or are there other things I need to watch out for?

just replace the combustion chamber and glow plug.

Schuie Driver 03-16-2002 07:13 PM

Thanks Manticore.....is the combustion chamber the piece located directly under the engine head that holds the glow plug?

Manticore 03-16-2002 07:14 PM

Thanks Manticore.....is the combustion chamber the piece located directly under the engine head that holds the glow plug?
yes

Lost Racer 03-19-2002 03:08 PM

Back to the Mugen MT12 for a moment........ :) I purchased this motor (slide carb version) for use in a NTC3 as well and have a question about the size of the screw used in the throttle ball attached to the slide carb. I need to turn the ball to a different position than what comes standard and I have no idea what size wrench fits in this allen screw. I'm assuming this is the screw I should use to perform this task? I also need to know what size nutdriver should be used to rotate the carb completely. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!!
Usually 1.5mm

Schuie Driver 03-27-2002 06:39 PM

Thanks for the help guys. One other question if you don't mind.......

In the exploded view of the engine Mugen points out that there are two different head gaskets, a .1mm and a .3mm. Are you supposed to use one size with a turbo plug and another size with a standard? Just want to make sure I'm using the correct one now that I've purchased the new head button for a standard plug. Would hate to have my piston slam up into my plugs.

Motorman 03-27-2002 06:44 PM

.3mm is standard and what comes on both engines stock it is alumunium and .010 thousanths thick. .1MM is copper and is what you would use to make head adjustments with it is .003 thousanths thick.