Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Engine Recommendation

I ran into one of your members at Hobby Land when I was picking up some repair parts for my HPI RS4 3, RTR. I thought I would check out the site and ask the advice of the experts.

I bought my car used and never did trust the engine. The HPI NitroStar 15FE has always been tricky to keep in tune and the carb has been acting strange since day one. I've decided to throw this entry level engine in the trash and get a new one.

Since I'm not into racing, I don't want to spend big $$$ on an engine. A couple of friends and I like to drive on the weekends out on the range where I work. Blacktop and no cars in sight.

So, who can recommend a good engine for me, in the $100 - $125 range, with pull-start?

I'm looking for higher top speed, so what should I look for in an engine?

.12 or .15 -- Which is better for my application

Slide carb or Rotary carb -- Which is better?

Will my flywheel and clutch transfer from my 15FE to the new engine?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. I'm new to the R/C Car hobby. I've been flying R/C airplanes for years and never had to pour the money into them like I have had to for this car. It seems like I work on the car 5 nights a week, just to get in one day of driving on the weekend. The OS .40 in my plane is a breeze and requires no major tuning between flights.

I've had to keep putting money into this car and it's starting to make me want to get out of the hobby before I've really gotten into it. The car is a blast to drive, when it runs. I'm just tired of pouring money into a 1/10 car when I could be putting that money into my full-scale and dropping .10's off my 1/4 mile times.

Again, thanks for the help. I'd like to get my engine ordered this week. I'd like to support a local hobby shop, but will order online if someone points out a good engine at a good price.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:54 AM
Tech Adept

You ask what is a good engine for your car and then you turn around and say you're getting tired of putting money into it. Kind of contradicting yourself there aren't ya

Anyhow,,, the main reason I replied to your question is to tell you yes your clutch and flywheel from your .15fe will transfer to a new engine BUT (and I emphasis that word) only if your new engine is equiped with a short crank shaft. If fact, you can probably only run the .15fe clutch and flywheel on you RS4.

As far as what engine, that's tough. If I were you I would check into the HPI Nitro Star engines or even their SS engines. Go to www.hpiracing.com and look around for what they have. Also any Nova Rossi engine is good. Their website is www.novarossi.it/index_ing.html . Just make sure the engine you buy has a short crank.

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by The Sleeper
You ask what is a good engine for your car and then you turn around and say you're getting tired of putting money into it. Kind of contradicting yourself there aren't ya
That's why I'm not spending $200 on an engine.

This HPI engine has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I've had a great experience with my OS in the airplane. Is there a good OS engine for this car?

Short crank ... Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Os Has the 15cv and the 12cv and both are great engines and a lot faster than the 15fe engines, plus you can find both engines under 125 bucks.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

So what's the deal with the .12 vs. the .15 engines? The .12 is smaller, but seems to make more power according to specs that I read.

For on-road, flat out speed .... which is the better choice? .12 or .15 ?

The 2-speed tranny will be my next addition. Will a .12 or .15 make a difference on that?
Old 03-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

The .12s are usually faster because their internal parts (piston, con-rod, ect.) are lighter than the .15s. Also, more engineering goes into the .12s because for people who race, the .12 is the only engine they are allowed to run.

There is something you may not have thought of,,, the tune pipe. The pipe makes all the difference in the world in how well your engine runs. I bought the RD Logics Turbo II. I haven't had it on the track yet but just from running it in front of my house, I can tell my engine comes up to speed faster.

Since I was talking about pipes I thought of something else. My engine has a rear exhaust. Your .15fe has a side exhaust. Rear exhaust is better for what you are wanting to do but the header from your .15fe will not work.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The OS CV-RX is the motor for you. 1HP. It has pull start and comes in any configuration you want(Short shaft, SG shaft, rotary or slide carb) They are running about a $100 now.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Several people have mentioned the OS CV-RX to me, so that looks like what I'll be ordering.

One last question .... slide carb or rotary carb? Which is better? What's the difference?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the rotary carb will be easier to install in your car but you will get better performance from the slide. its totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with.