R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Realistic Exhaust/Mufflers/Silencers (like dual pipes) for 1/8

Was wondering if there were any realistic looking mufflers available for 1/8 onroad chassis? By realistic I mean with the exhaust coming out of the back of the car.

I found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvgCqs79Vg
but couldn't find out who makes it and where to buy one.

Also do silencer's really work? Does it reduce the sound or does it change the pitch?

I've been in electric but would like to get into nitro so I apologize in advance if some of these questions are fairly elementary.
soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Exhaust/mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
Was wondering if there were any realistic looking mufflers available for 1/8 onroad chassis? By realistic I mean with the exhaust coming out of the back of the car.

I found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvgCqs79Vg
but couldn't find out who makes it and where to buy one.

Also do silencer's really work? Does it reduce the sound or does it change the pitch?

I've been in electric but would like to get into nitro so I apologize in advance if some of these questions are fairly elementary.
By changing the routing of the exhaust, you will also change the performance of the pipe/muffler. The combintion of the pipe/muffler are designed to improve the performance of your engine, and by changing this, you will dramatically alter your engines performance. Just by changing the header from say a 3 ring, to a 4 ring header changes the power of the engine. The pipes themselves also play a huge part in the way your engine runs. The manufactures have done a lot of research in determining the right lenght, diameter of both the pipe and header. The engine will run of course, but the performance will suffer greatly if you alter the length of the exhaust system.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

You can search for aluminium tubing and make your own if you want, normally there are a lot of parts available for sale with different radius and angle. brc358 is right, you will be affecting your engine performance if you use a longer tail pipe.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc358 View Post
By changing the routing of the exhaust, you will also change the performance of the pipe/muffler. The combintion of the pipe/muffler are designed to improve the performance of your engine, and by changing this, you will dramatically alter your engines performance. Just by changing the header from say a 3 ring, to a 4 ring header changes the power of the engine. The pipes themselves also play a huge part in the way your engine runs. The manufactures have done a lot of research in determining the right lenght, diameter of both the pipe and header. The engine will run of course, but the performance will suffer greatly if you alter the length of the exhaust system.
this is very true, i have talked to 3 different professional workers, 1 from hpi and 2 from store owners and what i have found is for an exhaust if you keep the same compression from throughout and then tighten and then loosen the exhaust pressure it will cause it to boost between gears. my rs4 has the same black stock muffler but i took the ratios into play and made a custom exhaust while increasing the power. and how do u post photos i want to show you what i did. and if you change the back you must change the front too. meaning the intake has to be larger.
bowflexx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Tsais is a brand with rear exhausts but yes, I do believe it can not be as good as a good racing pipi at the side of the car.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Tsais is a brand with rear exhausts but yes, I do believe it can not be as good as a good racing pipi at the side of the car.
yeah i almost bought one of those but they were on back order for 3 months and they cost like 1/3 the car, so i said lets spend 40 bucks and then do trial and error when its running, i got my rs4 to about 65-69 at full
bowflexx99 is offline   Reply With Quote