Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
newB here with a few questions >

newB here with a few questions

newB here with a few questions

Old 12-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default newB here with a few questions

Whats up guys. Im completely new to the RC world so I have a few questions. I recently got a Team Associated RC10Gt car and the guy i got it from said it needs a new pull start, glow plug and glow plug charger. He also said instead of the pull start i can pickup some kind of automatic starter ramp thing i have no idea what he was talking about. Anyways Im not exactly sure what I should be getting so can you guys tell me what i should be looking for and what to get and not get? Please keep in mind i know nothing about this stuff so plain english works for me lol thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmartinez1228
Whats up guys. Im completely new to the RC world so I have a few questions. I recently got a Team Associated RC10Gt car and the guy i got it from said it needs a new pull start, glow plug and glow plug charger. He also said instead of the pull start i can pickup some kind of automatic starter ramp thing i have no idea what he was talking about. Anyways Im not exactly sure what I should be getting so can you guys tell me what i should be looking for and what to get and not get? Please keep in mind i know nothing about this stuff so plain english works for me lol thanks
Welcome!

First off, the RC10GT is an off-road vehicle and this is a on-road vehicle thread. The off-road guys can probably give you some better advice about what to do with your off-road, but there are some guys here that run off-road as well (not me). You'll probably need a new glow plug. A new glow plug charger? Hmmm. Those run on a battery. Is the battery no good? And a new pull start? Sorry bro, I don't know enough about pull starts to give you advice on replacing one, but since you're new, keeping a pull start may not be such a bad idea.

Second, go to my Web site and read the beginner's section. It's for on-road, but it's applicable to off-road as well. http://nitrokb.netne.net

Then just below that, are some "Nitro Basics" videos. You want to watch those, as the guy is using pull-start engines and off-road vehicles to boot!

Anyway, take a look at that stuff and see if it helps.

Have fun with your truck.

BTW. Here is a product page on your truck, in case you haven't already seen it. http://www.rc10.com/ae/gt/gt_home.htm

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 12-31-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

.. oops! double post
Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks sorry i figured this was an on road vehicle since all the videos i saw where of people driving them on the road. ill move this thread over unless if a mod can move it. Also thanks for the specs link i have not yet seen it so ill look over it.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

There is an article about starting up your nitro engine for the first time in the website in my sig.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmartinez1228
The pullstarter on your car is simply a spring wound pull chord much like the one on a lawn mower. It resides on the other side of your engine's block and crank plate and the transfer occurs by a oneway roller bearing housed in a nut that slides over the sealed protruded end of your engine's crank

Repairing a Pull Start can be the most frustrating of the learning experiences one can tackle. Its the first thing I had to learn about Nitro RC and it's a matter of first checking to see what really is broken.

On to what goes wrong...
The chord may be snapped, in which case using a braided nylon chord such as Picture frame hanging chord of similar gauge will do.

The spring may be broken, and it's going to be very likely it's broken near the lugs, there are two, one on the outer circumference, and one at the origin of the coil. If the coil is broken you can carefully cut it, (it's hardened steel) and carefully bend and shape the end.

If the plastic lugs are broken, or the hosuing is damaged, then it's a replacement option, there's no fix to this and superglue isnt going to help.

Remove the engine and the four screws that hold the plastic housing of the pullstart from the engine's block. It's likely you'll have the dreaded "BOING" and end up with a coiled mess in your hands.

Inspect the pullstarter, the one way bearing on the crank, the hex on the plastic chord spool, the spring and the lugs/slots where the spring coils on, determine the problem and get back to me if you think it's either the chord or the spring.

h

PS: (been meaning to write an article on how to rewind a pullstart - might be the right time)

PPS: I think buying a starter box might be a premature option atm. A glow plug and glow starter is most definitely a priority on the shopping list.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. I ended up finding a shop a few miles away and dropped it off with them. Comes out i need a few other parts and I have no knowledge or time to fix it so i gave it to the guys that know what they are doing lol. hopefully by next week ill have it back and running so i can test it out. Might end up picking up a second one for my son.

Originally Posted by blis
The pullstarter on your car is simply a spring wound pull chord much like the one on a lawn mower. It resides on the other side of your engine's block and crank plate and the transfer occurs by a oneway roller bearing housed in a nut that slides over the sealed protruded end of your engine's crank

Repairing a Pull Start can be the most frustrating of the learning experiences one can tackle. Its the first thing I had to learn about Nitro RC and it's a matter of first checking to see what really is broken.

On to what goes wrong...
The chord may be snapped, in which case using a braided nylon chord such as Picture frame hanging chord of similar gauge will do.

The spring may be broken, and it's going to be very likely it's broken near the lugs, there are two, one on the outer circumference, and one at the origin of the coil. If the coil is broken you can carefully cut it, (it's hardened steel) and carefully bend and shape the end.

If the plastic lugs are broken, or the hosuing is damaged, then it's a replacement option, there's no fix to this and superglue isnt going to help.

Remove the engine and the four screws that hold the plastic housing of the pullstart from the engine's block. It's likely you'll have the dreaded "BOING" and end up with a coiled mess in your hands.

Inspect the pullstarter, the one way bearing on the crank, the hex on the plastic chord spool, the spring and the lugs/slots where the spring coils on, determine the problem and get back to me if you think it's either the chord or the spring.

h

PS: (been meaning to write an article on how to rewind a pullstart - might be the right time)

PPS: I think buying a starter box might be a premature option atm. A glow plug and glow starter is most definitely a priority on the shopping list.