R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default clutch/transmission help

Hello all,

i am new to this forum, a beginner in the nitro rc field. I do have some knowledge of mechanics, engines, but came here looking for assistance.So to start off in the hobby i purchased a cheap 1/10th scale car to see if it was something i was interested in putting more money into.It turns out i like it, and i purchased a .18 engine to replace the .15 that came with the car.

I am new to the site so i cant post links yet, but i need to know what parts i should order for the clutch/transmission of the new engine. I had previously been ordering my parts from rctoyhouse.com, but i will try other websites.

does anyone recognize this engine at all? it came with no instructions/info

any help is greatly appreciated
bphicks123 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
bphicks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphicks123 View Post
Hello all,

i am new to this forum, a beginner in the nitro rc field. I do have some knowledge of mechanics, engines, but came here looking for assistance.So to start off in the hobby i purchased a cheap 1/10th scale car to see if it was something i was interested in putting more money into.It turns out i like it, and i purchased a .18 engine to replace the .15 that came with the car.

I am new to the site so i cant post links yet, but i need to know what parts i should order for the clutch/transmission of the new engine. I had previously been ordering my parts from rctoyhouse.com, but i will try other websites.

does anyone recognize this engine at all? it came with no instructions/info

any help is greatly appreciated
bphicks123 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Can you tell us what engine and car, it is, that you have. Then amybe we can answer some of your questions.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
amybe
amybe? What is that, Australian or something

Sorry, just found it funny trying to pronounce that, hahaha.

Like he said, need to know what you have to tell you what you need.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

sorry everyone for the lack of info,

i ordered the engine from rctoyhouse.com, and it came with no instructions or anything. on their site it says its a .18 GO engine, but im pretty sure they sent me something different. The picture of the engine on their site is purple, the one they sent me is blue.

my car is an acme cyclone pro, damn i should not have started off cheap, its too much of a hastle
Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Tech Regular

You will find that almost none come with any instructions.
What makes you believe its the wrong engine?
Why do you think you need new parts for the clutch?
I would think you change over all the parts from the old engine to the new engine.
I doubt anyone has had expierence with one of these cars.
Generally a racers thread here.
But if you have real question we'll try to help!
When asking question, give details,more is better.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Okay if my questions are lacking details, then i am sorry for wasting your time.

I do not believe its the wrong engine, but i was trying to identify the make/model of the engine.

my original plan was to take the clutch,engine mounts,exhaust manifold off of my old engine, but found it impossible to remove my manifold and nearly stripped the screws in the process. in order to remove my engine mount, the manifold also has to be removed. So i thought it would be easier to just order the new parts.

my main difficulty is the clutch. i would like more than anything to be able to simply put the clutch from my old engine to the new one. but the problem is simply that i cannot remove the phillips screw holding the clutch on as it is extremely tight.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default screw

everyone here is willing to help you just need to be specific with you questions and your problems, the screw may need to be removed with a impact screw driver and if you strip it already you willl need to make a slot with a dremmel cutting wheel for a slotted screwdriver. and after that try to replace certain screws with allen heads screws they will strip less.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

could you elaborate on the impact screw driver?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default impact screwdriver

its made of metal and is usually 5 inches long and the size of a 5o cent coin in diameter and comes with different screwdriver attachmeents. the design of it is that you put it on the screw head and hit the top of the impact screwdriver and it pushes down on the screw head and at the same time it turns the screw either looser or tighter depending how you initially turn the screwdriver before you hit it with the hammer. In your case you would have to hold the flywheel tight before you hit it. you may need someone to hold it or put it in a vise unless of course you have three hands then you may do it by youself. you may find one at auto parts store, I got mine from snap-on tools long time ago
Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I would try a better screw driver first. One that fits the phillips correctly. I looked at the web site and it looks like you could grab the head of the clutch screw with small channel lock pliers. Unless the screw head is already stripped out. Then we use a dremel with a cut off wheel to make a slot across the head to use a slotted screw driver. As for the make of that .18 GO engine its generic, chinese. Basically no name.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Thanks to both of you, i greatly appreciate the help.

I will try to loosen the screw with a pair of pliers, and let you know what happens with that.

I have taken pictures of my .15 engine so that it would be easier to identify the clutch parts, but i still don't have enough posts to post the picture
Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Heat will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphicks123 View Post
Thanks to both of you, i greatly appreciate the help.

I will try to loosen the screw with a pair of pliers, and let you know what happens with that.

I have taken pictures of my .15 engine so that it would be easier to identify the clutch parts, but i still don't have enough posts to post the picture
Use some heat before trying to loosen the screws.. and if you want.. email me pics and Ill post them for you
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Tech Regular

You must have the parts list that came with the car. From the engine out is collet,flywheel,clutch nut, clutch shoes,springs, clutch bell, bearings,washer & screw. Shouldn't be to hard to order from were you bought it. I wouldn't try adapting parts from some other car. Buy good set of phillips screw drivers in correct sizes.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Thanks wizby, that was exactly what i was looking for. and yes i do have the parts list that came with the car.

and speedy im still going to keep your advice in mind just in case, and for future situations.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

I found the clutch set on rctoyhouse.com

in case anyone wants to know the item number is 30127 30141

it doesn't look like this includes the flywheel though, i couldn't find the right one on the site, i know i am asking a lot but can i get some help finding it? I found this one 30131, but it says for japan engine which threw me off.

thanks a bunch everyone, i really appreciate the help.