R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default How to certain the piston is not at Top dead center while breaking in the engine.

Hi guys,

I am going to get a Novarossi 5 port engine and i had this exact prolbem before during break-in period. Piston stucked at the top dead center and i can't turn the flywheel and i need to used heat gun on every startup in break-in period. (it is pain )
Becasue i am going to get a new engine and will do that again. Can someone tell me how do i certain and tell the piston is not at Top dead center while the engine is cooling down for another tank? What will you do if the piston is at top dead center? heat gun or else?

Thanks.
US_MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
Tech Elite

US_MATRIX;

With some experience you can FEEL where the piston is when turning the crank.
Otherwise the easiest method is to remove the glow plug and look down the hole. With good lighting you can see the piston moving up and down as you turn the flywheel.

It is only important during break-in to leave the piston at the bottom when you are finished for the day. Once the engine has broken in sufficiantly, this is no longer necessary.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Re: How to certain the piston is not at Top dead center while breaking in the engine.

Quote:
Originally posted by US_MATRIX
Hi guys,

I am going to get a Novarossi 5 port engine and i had this exact prolbem before during break-in period. Piston stucked at the top dead center and i can't turn the flywheel and i need to used heat gun on every startup in break-in period. (it is pain )
Becasue i am going to get a new engine and will do that again. Can someone tell me how do i certain and tell the piston is not at Top dead center while the engine is cooling down for another tank? What will you do if the piston is at top dead center? heat gun or else?

Thanks.
If I may add my 2 cents worth (although a lot of people seem to not think its worth that much). One good way to tell if you are unfamiliar with feeling the roll onthe flywheel is to first remove the glow plug and look into the combustion chamber (you might need a flashlight). Spin your flywheel until the piston appears to be at its lowest point. Then mark or score your flywheel in a spot where you can refernce it. Now as far as your piston getting stuck, the trick there is to put several drops of after run oil (marvels mystery oil), heat up the head for like 30 seconds with a hair dryer. Now try to startup the engine. You will find that the extra lubrication along with the heat will make for easier starts when the engine is new. On a afternote, you want to ensure that when you are on your cool down cycle that the piston is at the bottom of the cycle.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

i also heard that the piston will be at the bottom when the flywheel is at the middle of its turning radius limits. can anyone confirm this please?
QuickSilver1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:48 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by QuickSilver1024
i also heard that the piston will be at the bottom when the flywheel is at the middle of its turning radius limits. can anyone confirm this please?
Hi QuickSilver,

That is correct.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Hi jwf-ronni,

thank you
QuickSilver1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
US_MATRIX;

With some experience you can FEEL where the piston is when turning the crank.
Otherwise the easiest method is to remove the glow plug and look down the hole. With good lighting you can see the piston moving up and down as you turn the flywheel.

It is only important during break-in to leave the piston at the bottom when you are finished for the day. Once the engine has broken in sufficiantly, this is no longer necessary.
popsracer, why do you need to leave the piston at the bottom when you finished for the day?
cow buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:36 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by cow buster
popsracer, why do you need to leave the piston at the bottom when you finished for the day?
If I may anwer this one. The piston and sleeve expand when the engine is running. By ensuring the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, the piston will not get pinched at the top where the tolerances are at its closest. So basically the sleeve cools down and actually gets smaller and does not squeeze the piston. In effect you wond be forcing the piston to pull out of the sleeve when you next start the engine.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

also by having the piston at the bottom of the stroke u will prolong engine life as the sleeve isnt cooling to the size of the piston rather cooling back to its static size

stuff for sale associated 12r5 $175, team magic 1/10 pit bag $40, top racing pit bag $30, KO helios with spektrum module and 3 receivers $200, CEN CT5 $100 all are plus post
dangles is offline   Reply With Quote