R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Are serpent and Mugen centax clutch interchangeable?

Hi are serpent and Mugen centax clutch interchangeable? And will mugen pinion gears work with serpent spur gears and viceversa?

Thanks
one58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Centax clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by one58 View Post
Hi are serpent and Mugen centax clutch interchangeable? And will mugen pinion gears work with serpent spur gears and viceversa?

Thanks
They are not interchangeable.
The Mugen and the Shepard are, but not the Serpent.
Same with Mugen and Kyosho. Even though the clutch bells can be installed on the cars, the pinions are different, and the degree of the inside of the Mugen and Kyosho clutch bells are different.
Parts may be able to be installed, but if you use a Mugen clutch bell, you need to use Mugen flyweights, and clutch shoe, but then the pinion are still different
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had a diff experience with the clutches. I am running a serpent clutch on my X except for clutch bell and pinions. Find the clutch works better than my original Mugen.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Default Centax clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmay11 View Post
I have had a diff experience with the clutches. I am running a serpent clutch on my X except for clutch bell and pinions. Find the clutch works better than my original Mugen.
You are right. The clutches thenselves will work, but like I was sayng, check the degree of the inside of the clutch bell between the two. One may not have full contact with the other manufacture clutch bell.
Just like Mugen/Kyosho. Even though the clutches can be installed, and will work, they will not make full contact because of the degree of the outside edge of the clutch bells.
I also have Mugen,Serpent,Kyosho 1/8th scale cars but do not interchange clutches becuase of the difference in the clutch bells themselves.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wont the shoe wear to the desired angle of the clutch bell with a little running? Seems to work for me.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Centax clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmay11 View Post
Wont the shoe wear to the desired angle of the clutch bell with a little running? Seems to work for me.
Well to be honest, I ran into a problem during a race, and did not have any of the correct clutch discs for my Serpent, so I did install a Mugen clutch disc.
I completed the race, and when I removed the clutch assembly the next day to install the correct one, I could see where the contact patch was not correct. The disc did not conform to the different clutch bell, but it did get me through the remainder of the race. I guess that I was a little more self consience knowing that it is not the correct disc/bell combination and it was on my mind durng the race, so I have stuck with the correct disc/clutch bell assembly sesne then.