R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tire compound

hey i am a bit confused about which tire compound to use. what is the proper set up, harder compound on the front or the rear? whats correct?
okfrancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfrancs View Post
hey i am a bit confused about which tire compound to use. what is the proper set up, harder compound on the front or the rear? whats correct?
.....you'll get many answers.

But this is my tips :

1. You need access or own tire shaver. .... Normally front tires diameter is shave 2mm - 2.5mm smaller than rear tires, >>> to make front tires slightly underdrive, but still close to 1:1 ( full time 4 wheel drive effect ).
2. Test run your car for 15, 30, 45 minutes, and plz check the condition of four tires after that. Use caliper and write down the diameter of front vs rear after 15, 30, 45 minutes.
3. If the rear tires diameter become smaller than front, you need harder compound for rear tires.
4. If front tires become even smaller than rear, you need harder compound for front tires.
5. The goal : You want four tires to wear out very close to 1:1 or slightly underdrive after 15 min, 30 min, 45 min. The overdrive / underdrive chart is included in the car's manuals.
6. If track is abbrasive or very sticky, normally you can start with harder compound like 40, 42.
7. If track is normal or slippery, normally you can start with softer compound like 35, 37.
8. Always use fresh tires during testing and racing. That means : Finish using the tires in 1 day..... don't bring them home.
9. Don't buy old stock tires.... the foam is dry.
10. Keep your new tires inside air tight container, place them in cool place.

Last edited by asw7576; 12-19-2009 at 11:31 PM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey thanks but thats way too complicated for me. i just run on an asphalt track locally. i live in jamaica and i doubt any one out here has a tire truer. but i am still confused as where i need the harder compound, front or back. now i am using 40 front and 42 rear, from advise that this would be the best to use, bu all the other guys at the track tell is saying the front should have the harder compound so the car dont slide as much. any suggestions or reason why i was told to go 40f 42 r? took the advise because the guy races abroad. thanks
okfrancs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by okfrancs View Post
hey thanks but thats way too complicated for me. i just run on an asphalt track locally. i live in jamaica and i doubt any one out here has a tire truer. but i am still confused as where i need the harder compound, front or back. now i am using 40 front and 42 rear, from advise that this would be the best to use, bu all the other guys at the track tell is saying the front should have the harder compound so the car dont slide as much. any suggestions or reason why i was told to go 40f 42 r? took the advise because the guy races abroad. thanks
Hey, do you drive at michi? I know of 2 people who have tire truer in Jamaica, one of them is Doug Day. If you want advice on a good set-up at michi he's the one to speak to, he races overseas a lot and has the experience.
yappy is offline   Reply With Quote