R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Fantom .15 more h.p.

whats up guys. i just got a fantom .15 to put in my ntc3 i know its to big to race with. but im looking to get more power out of it and iwas just wondering if any one knew any thing that could help me.

thank you for you info if you have any!
onroad dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: Fantom .15 more h.p.

Quote:
Originally posted by onroad dude
whats up guys. i just got a fantom .15 to put in my ntc3 i know its to big to race with. but im looking to get more power out of it and iwas just wondering if any one knew any thing that could help me.

thank you for you info if you have any!
Are you sure you can fit that engine on NTC3? the only 15 size engine that I know of could fit on touring cars are small block 15, which means only either RB V15 or Nova NS15.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Fantom .15 more h.p.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
Are you sure you can fit that engine on NTC3? the only 15 size engine that I know of could fit on touring cars are small block 15, which means only either RB V15 or Nova NS15.
Is the Fantom a big block or small block? If it is a big block the problem you run into with these is that there is too much torque at the low end and not enough RPM at the top. If course if you had a Kyosho VoneRR you could always gear it up to the hilt and hold on. In any case I run an RB V15 in my VoneRR and it is fast. I geared up on it quite a bit and it is a land rocket. Not a whole lot you need to do to it. I would say that if you need more out of the Fantom, if you are saavy enough, open up the engine and take a look at the timing and duration of the crank shaft and experiment a little or if you know an engine modder to crank that puppy up. Realistically if it is a big block, mod it. Youll get more power....you just have to see what youre going to sacrifice once it is done (runtime, low end, top end) or if youre lucky you improve them all.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:14 PM   #4
Tech Master

yea it fits but not with out a lttle modifing. i had to cut very carfully the crank shaft so that it would use the adp. for a engin with a short shaft. but other then that it fits perfect and works sweet!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

the engin does not really say if it is a small or a big block but from matching it up with all of them at work it seems like it is a small block. but im not to shur!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:32 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
the engin does not really say if it is a small or a big block but from matching it up with all of them at work it seems like it is a small block. but im not to shur!
If you had to modify anything at all then it is most likely a big block. Well if you are sure that you have the most optimal needle settings for the temp and weather conditions running then I suggest you get that thing modded and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
Tech Master

i have it clocking in at 62 mph the way i have it geared and what not but im just looking to get a little more out of it. the only mod i had to do to get it to fit was cut the crank shaft down on it and from my under standing thats a common thing if you want to run a .15 in that car.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
i have it clocking in at 62 mph the way i have it geared and what not but im just looking to get a little more out of it. the only mod i had to do to get it to fit was cut the crank shaft down on it and from my under standing thats a common thing if you want to run a .15 in that car.
Well the small block 15's do not require any external modifications because the crank case size on its external dimensions is exactly the same as a .12. The only difference is, of course, is the internal diameter of the sleeve and piston. The small block .15's solve a lot of issues as far as the "lack of power" attitude goes. That plus the fact that the these .15's are designed to go almost 40K on the RMP scale. So you get the best of both worlds. The low end torque of a .15 and you still can get the rpms out of it. Trust me....two of is at our local track starting running the RB and pretty much have scared away everyone else that was running outlaw with a .12.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:43 PM   #9
Tech Master

k good info!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

fantom FR15 is a small block, i have compared my FR12 to an FR15 and they both the same block size
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Team-RTR
fantom FR15 is a small block, i have compared my FR12 to an FR15 and they both the same block size
Interesting....then I assume that Onroad dude came across the same issue I had with the 5 port Sirio .12. But I did not cut the SG shaft, I just shimmed the hell out of it til the clutch worked right.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:14 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Default re :fantom .15

i wouldnt waste the money on the fantom .15 you are better off with an rb or simliar quality engine ,having ran the 03 fantom rear exhaust engine in my tc3 ,it just didnt have the top end like an entry level racing engine ,i.e x.12 x.15 by rb concepts or simliar engine
bowtieluv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
Tech Master

now see your the only person i have seen that does not have somthing good to say about fantom. every thing i read had nothing but good reveiws on it. and there was no way i could have shimmed it the shaft was way to long!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
now see your the only person i have seen that does not have somthing good to say about fantom. every thing i read had nothing but good reveiws on it. and there was no way i could have shimmed it the shaft was way to long!
Well you did not ask me on an opinion on your engine choice. I personally have never tried the the Fantom but have heard that they probably fall short of the staple engines (RB/Novarossi). I had resolved myself to that fact a long time ago. I do try some off brands from time to time (Sirio). But I always end up going back to the basics. Anyways Onroad Dude.... if you want some power back in your step then you may wanna try a novarossi/rb based engine. In any case its not a bad choice. I mean if world champions can get it to work, then chances are we can too!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:11 PM   #15
Tech Master

well ive got the car all set and tweaked and the thing it just a rocket but for the first min untill the head is warm its has more of a temper the a female! but after that look out its just riping the tires off the rims!