R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   2nd Spur gear problem???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/350854-2nd-spur-gear-problem.html)

mahleenb 12-10-2009 08:59 PM

2nd Spur gear problem????

I need your help guys!!!!!I'm running MTX4r on road car with RB engine fitted ,what I've noticed that my 2nd spur gear is easy to damage and I had no idea what's the problem.If someone could help me for that I'm very appreciated it. THANKS A LOT.....

Speedypeterb 12-10-2009 09:12 PM

gears

meshing the gears incorrectly or to far apart is the most causes make sure when looking from the top view that the gears line up and that either gears interfere with the other gears whern you mesh the gears together they should be very close to each other so that they are very close to binding not quite binding but very close and the other thing is check you second gear weights they should be expanded so they don't slam the gear to hard when it shifts

mahleenb 12-10-2009 09:22 PM

Thanks for your tips to me,I will check it again.......If anyone still have an another idea to fixed this problem im open to know because i'm just a begginer......

CurveTracer 12-11-2009 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mahleenb (Post 6704972)
Thanks for your tips to me,I will check it again.......If anyone still have an another idea to fixed this problem im open to know because i'm just a begginer......

Please perform a search in the MTX4R thread. Also, read post #3398 in the MTX4R thread, "rmdhawaii" recently reposted a section from the old nitrokb site that covers the items you need to address to prevent stripping of spur gears.

Brian Bosley 12-11-2009 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by mahleenb (Post 6704884)
I need your help guys!!!!!I'm running MTX4r on road car with RB engine fitted ,what I've noticed that my 2nd spur gear is easy to damage and I had no idea what's the problem.If someone could help me for that I'm very appreciated it. THANKS A LOT.....

99.9% of the time it's gear mesh, if not then something is bent causing improper gear mesh or too much flex in that area. you MAY have a bad bearing in your clutch or really far out you may have a bent crank shaft.. these are not likely though

i personally set my gear mesh so tight that the gears grind lightly (but spin freely with noise) and then wear them in on the first run, afterwards they flow smoothly without noise.

yappy 12-11-2009 11:22 AM

I do the same thing, mesh tight but make sure it spins...
You will hear the noise of the gears spinning when driving until worn in. can't go wrong. been driving a new kit since April and no strip gear or problems.

Android 12-11-2009 06:47 PM

mahleenb, Change your car if you want to solve your gear stripping issue, it will strip no matter what you do, there is a flow on the car design.

VA_Racer 12-11-2009 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Android (Post 6708243)
mahleenb, Change your car if you want to solve your gear stripping issue, it will strip no matter what you do, there is a flow on the car design.

This statement is bull crap. Like it was stated earlier 99.9% of the time its the gear mesh. Try 2 small strips of paper just wide enough to cover the gear, place both strips in each gear, then set the mesh with the paper between the gears and you should be fine. Once you learn how to set the mesh you will rarely strip gears.

rmdhawaii 12-12-2009 01:10 AM

There was (and still is?) a lot of discussion and debate about the root cause of the MTX-4 gear stripping problem. Is it the car or is it the mechanic? I did quite a bit of research on the problem and with the help of a few people, I was able to put together a guide to minimizing the the chance of stripping the gears that was posted on nitrokb.com. ( posted here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/6686934-post3398.html )

The are a number of reasons why the gear strips. If you don't understand the specific reasons why gears strip for your particular car - or any car for that matter, you'll never get a handle on the situation. But even with all possible info on the situation, some people still had problems with the MTX-4.

I've stripped my fair share of gears on the MTX-4 and the RRR. In each case, I tried to think about the circumstances of the race; if an accident could have caused the engine to shift, if I didn't check something or adjust something before or after a race - or if I just did something wrong. Whatever the case maybe, there are people that never have problems or can easily pinpoint why their gear strips.

The MTX-4 is an awesome car. I have some personal issues with taking the engine in and out, but other than that, on the track, it's great.

If you can't get rid of the gear stripping problem, changing cars may be your best option for avoiding the problem - because each car is engineered differently. IMHO, it's really about you and the car. Not just the car. :sneaky:

mahleenb 12-12-2009 01:23 AM

Thanks guys I'm happy with all your advise.....

I think your advise well help a lot already for me....So what I can say is thank you who share their experience to other people....:):):):)