R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
1/10th Sedan has its ups & downs this year it had a bigger turnout in races all over the states for the nationals & since a lot of drivers are preparring for the upcoming sedan worlds on 2010.
as for the regular basher off-road has been growing since it is cheaper than On-road & it all comes down to what tracks are available we have way more off-road tracks than on-road in Florida
in Nitro sedan racing the comp is always high at big races such as the nats and of course alot of people including myself are getting ready for the worlds. All the cars can be competitive. you just have to know how to drive.
Mom & Dad
RCAKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
1/10 nitro racing in my hometrack is almost dead now......

Things happened this year :
1. some of them quit playing rc for good because of economic reasons,
2. some of them switch to electric 1/10 for cheaper operating costs,
3. due to low participants joining nitro racing, the race organiser decided to make more electric races and less nitro races.

Maybe it's seasonal or cycle factor......... three years ago, nitro racing was hot while electric was dead quite for 3 years.
This is the best made point as far as this thread is concerned. Since the economic downturn, I think that a lot of r/c players decided it was more important to pay the mortgage and feed the family over playing with their r/c toys. That has killed off many parking lot club tracks around the country. Here in Dallas, all of our outdoor club tracks for nitro onroad racing died off a little over 2 years ago. Attempts to revive it has been made but has met with no success. As far as onroad racing in the Dallas area, we have an indoor, electric carpet track that races on a regular basis (at least three Sundays a month).
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

all of the above, and i think the biggest drawback is in nitro you'll need a partner to put in fuel, and fix car during races. whilst in ep, you don't really need a crew. you can race comfortably, solo.
(",) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also consider that you can off-road anywhere where no one is going to complain about the noise. For on-road, you need a relatively large paved surface, smooth and free of obstacles/debris in a location where no one is going to complain about the noise. For organized parking lot racing, you also need relatively decent track components - and a place to store them between races. Once an on-road track / parking lot shuts down, you may never find another place to race.

Most of us already know this... The world is not on-road nitro friendly.
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
Also consider that you can off-road anywhere where no one is going to complain about the noise. For on-road, you need a relatively large paved surface, smooth and free of obstacles/debris in a location where no one is going to complain about the noise. For organized parking lot racing, you also need relatively decent track components - and a place to store them between races. Once an on-road track / parking lot shuts down, you may never find another place to race.

Most of us already know this... The world is not on-road nitro friendly.
This is so true, brother!!!! Just like rock/paper/scissors, looks like for the time being, dirt beats pavement.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to TeamPursuit

Why when you guys talk about sedan cars do not includes PURSUIT SPT1 it's a good sedan car to?????
TeamPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPursuit View Post
Why when you guys talk about sedan cars do not includes PURSUIT SPT1 it's a good sedan car to?????
Sorry, I knew I was missing one
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (",) View Post
all of the above, and i think the biggest drawback is in nitro you'll need a partner to put in fuel, and fix car during races. whilst in ep, you don't really need a crew. you can race comfortably, solo.
I hear this argument from alot of my EP racer fiends and I just don't get it. I've never had a problem going to a nitro race alone and finding someone to pit for me. The guy you ask to pit for you will also need someone to pit for him, it always seems to work out. Plus, it's a great way to make more friends. Maybe that's why nitro racers seem to be a friendlier group than EP racers who can be a little more "clickish". Guys who don't try nitro for this argument are missing out.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The poor economy really makes ppl quit racing; the poor economy also makes hobby shop shut down..
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
I hear this argument from alot of my EP racer fiends and I just don't get it. I've never had a problem going to a nitro race alone and finding someone to pit for me. The guy you ask to pit for you will also need someone to pit for him, it always seems to work out. Plus, it's a great way to make more friends. Maybe that's why nitro racers seem to be a friendlier group than EP racers who can be a little more "clickish". Guys who don't try nitro for this argument are missing out.
Are u talking aboit Norcal or VRC or SW?? LOL
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
Are u talking aboit Norcal or VRC or SW?? LOL
I'm not talking about any specific track/club, I'm talking about racers in general using my ~20yrs experience in both EP and Nitro. And I'm not trying to start some kind of EP vs. Nitro racers thing either. I do both and have alot of friends in both.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
+1

I also run both EP and Nitro
Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

It is the same with transportation, if they don't have it there will be no nationals. No one gets the idea to ask clubmembers who are going if there is a seat free in the car.

The problems is somewhere between parkinglots and nationals.
The 1st nitro touring will be a parking racer like a HPI RS4 of Kyosho FW series. Most of those drivers have fun in driving when and where they want. Some of them will make a step to the track but such a step means getting a more competive car (at least that is the first thinking over here), driving the same lap over and over (not knowing it is the sport beating laptimes) and oh God, there are rules!!!!!
These are the most common excuses I have heard while almost anyone who is not willing to take such a step is complaining that he is not goog enough.

Maybe that is why 1/8 is more populair over here, there is no simulair parkinglot racer so driving these cars does automaticly means driving on tracks
Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to badKarma Send a message via Yahoo to badKarma

so why is it that the major R/C magazines do no test, features, or even story spots on 1/10th Nitro Sedans? hopefully with the new Shimo V RRR coming out, a nitro sedan can get some ink....
badKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Hey guys,

Man it has been so long since I've been on here! I been out of RC for a while myself. I too see a decline in certain classes due to lack of interest and or economic reasons. When I had my MTX4 racing at Floyd Bennett Field most of the people who came out to practice had 1/8th onroad cars. I was able to keep up with some and pass on the turns keeping a tight drivers line, however my tires wore out much faster. When driving the MRX4 a year back a set of tires lasted couple weekend runs. A set of tires even 38-40shore on the sedan lasts a few hours!

Being cost is a factor I would like to see more tracks start more classes focused around the beginners in mind. Not only would it help sales for many Hobby Stores but the new folks wouldn't be so intimidated by the pricier tags on the pro level kits. Before anyone bashes me - C'mon think about it! Do you guys remember when the HPI RS4 and Racer 2 were one of the best cars for the parking lot racer tracks to even some pro level racing. Infact until the MTX-2 and Serpent Impulse were out the only thing near the Racer 2 was the NEO TNT (now owned by Megatech) and I think much later on came the GS Vision. That and the popular HPI challenge events where people could just snag a RTR vehicle right out of the shop, a gallon of fuel and go race. Those days just doesn't get any better than that! Heck if I had enough money I'd open my own race track right here in Connecticut where there'd be enough parking, onsite hobby store, power, etc. There are some tracks, but being a former resident of Brooklyn, NY I do know how bothersome it is for most dealing with traffic when going up or coming down.

For next year I hope to see more RTR classes our or beginner level racing going on aside from GT classes. They should have something like RTR nitro sedan with possibly engine restrictions in mind being some come with .12s and others have .15s and larger. That or more HPI RTR events. I too have looked into electrics just for the ease and messing around some medium size tracks. When your track is 200' x 120' then you feel inclined to run a faster vehicle and that would require more money. Otherwise with a smaller track most RTRs (electric and nitro) would fair pretty nicely.